+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for an Apartment on Rent in Calagary downtown

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many landlords and owners of apartment building hire realtors to look after their rentals.
No they hire property managers not realtors.If you own enough rentals or you own an apartment building (or many apartment buildings) you have your own property manager, maintenance staff, rental coordinator, etc. it is all done in house. Small landlords who live in the same city as their rentals rarely hire a property manager because most of their profits would go to paying the property manager. The owners are the ones who advertise the rental on places like kijiji, Craigslist, etc. (the websites depend on the area), do light maintenance themselves or hire someone to do it, etc. The rentals shown by realtors tend to be high end properties when owners don’t live in Canada or at least in the same city/province.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No they hire property managers not realtors.If you own enough rentals or you own an apartment building (or many apartment buildings) you have your own property manager, maintenance staff, rental coordinator, etc. it is all done in house. Small landlords who live in the same city as their rentals rarely hire a property manager because most of their profits would go to paying the property manager. The owners are the ones who advertise the rental on places like kijiji, Craigslist, etc. (the websites depend on the area), do light maintenance themselves or hire someone to do it, etc. The rentals shown by realtors tend to be high end properties when owners don’t live in Canada or at least in the same city/province.
They also partner with realtors for marketing. Also, those owners who don't live in Canada or at least in the same city/province can also own low end properties.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tours and picture usually only show the favourable parts of the home, use weird angles that make apartments feel bigger, etc. As a landlord I know I only show the best parts of the apartment in pictures. Why would I highlight the bad parts?
That's you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's you.
It’s not just me and I rent a nice apartments. I also never rent to anyone until they’ve seen the apartments and until I’ve met them in person. When I rented a long time ago I would see pictures and arrive to see apartments that looked very different in reality. That happens for rentals, sales, etc. People post with weird angles making things look bigger, avoid showing whole rooms, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They also partner with realtors for marketing. Also, those owners who don't live in Canada or at least in the same city/province can also own low end properties.
Most use property managers not realtors. Most realtors don’t want to show apartments that rent for under 3-4K/month because there commission is usually 1 month’s rent. If property owners live outside the city they already pay a property management company and their fee already includes renting out the apartment if it becomes vacant.

lp89

Star Member
Aug 6, 2021
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
25-05-2022
Good morning, Everyone.

Hope everyone's doing good.

My husband and I are flying on September 27th planning to stay in a hotel for a week or so. During that time we will look for a temporary apartment on rent to stay till we find jobs and then we will move closer to wherever our jobs will be.

My concerns -

1. Can some help us with the best way to find a place in calgary downtown to stay on rent?

2. Is it best to straight away arrange for a rental apartment before moving? If yes, please suggest how? And how safe is it?

2. Do apartment owners allow tenants to stay on short term basis?

3. If we stay in a hotel and then move into a short term accommodation. What document can we serve as an address proof to obtain the health card and to open a bank account?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Robyn.
Hey Robyn,

Welcome to Calgary,

1. My apartment is available for rent from October 1st. Its in a very convenient location right across the Westbrook Mall and train station. You can check the details on my craigslist post https://calgary.craigslist.org/reo/d/calgary-beds-across-the-westbrook-mall/7528096883.html

2. Its usually sage, but staying in a hotel for a week is a great idea. Also pre-plan all the property viewings before you land so you can view them in couple of days while you are staying at the hotel and then get something to move in in-time. Don't fall into the advertisements which asks for money in advance without you inspecting the property.

3. Canada post offers mail redirection service. You can redirect your mails to the new address when you move.

Happy to arrange viewing of my apartment after your arrive. I usually prefer at least 1 year lease :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It’s not just me and I rent a nice apartments. I also never rent to anyone until they’ve seen the apartments and until I’ve met them in person. When I rented a long time ago I would see pictures and arrive to see apartments that looked very different in reality. That happens for rentals, sales, etc. People post with weird angles making things look bigger, avoid showing whole rooms, etc.
I rented an apartment unseen and arrived to see them looked the same as they were advertised in the website. That happpens too when I bought presales homes. For airbnb and hotel room check-ins, there were times no meeting with the host (or hotel staff) wss required.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most use property managers not realtors. Most realtors don’t want to show apartments that rent for under 3-4K/month because there commission is usually 1 month’s rent. If property owners live outside the city they already pay a property management company and their fee already includes renting out the apartment if it becomes vacant.
Property managers and realtors may work under the same roof or company. Most realtors show apartments that rent for under 3-4K/month because there commission is usually 1 month’s rent. If property owners live outside the city they already pay a property management company and there might be a vacant charge to the property owners