+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for an Apartment on Rent in Calagary downtown

RobynLewis

Jul 28, 2020
Good morning, Everyone.

Hope everyone's doing good.

My husband and I are flying on September 27th planning to stay in a hotel for a week or so. During that time we will look for a temporary apartment on rent to stay till we find jobs and then we will move closer to wherever our jobs will be.

My concerns -

1. Can some help us with the best way to find a place in calgary downtown to stay on rent?

2. Is it best to straight away arrange for a rental apartment before moving? If yes, please suggest how? And how safe is it?

2. Do apartment owners allow tenants to stay on short term basis?

3. If we stay in a hotel and then move into a short term accommodation. What document can we serve as an address proof to obtain the health card and to open a bank account?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Robyn.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good morning, Everyone.

Hope everyone's doing good.

My husband and I are flying on September 27th planning to stay in a hotel for a week or so. During that time we will look for a temporary apartment on rent to stay till we find jobs and then we will move closer to wherever our jobs will be.

My concerns -

1. Can some help us with the best way to find a place in calgary downtown to stay on rent?

2. Is it best to straight away arrange for a rental apartment before moving? If yes, please suggest how? And how safe is it?

2. Do apartment owners allow tenants to stay on short term basis?

3. If we stay in a hotel and then move into a short term accommodation. What document can we serve as an address proof to obtain the health card and to open a bank account?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Robyn.
Better to contact realtor (such as First Service Residential) and they will ask the owner if they allow tenants to stay on short term basis. Once you have rented your apartment, you can open a bank account without address proof as well as buy your tenant's home insurance that can be use as the residency document for getting the alberta health care insurance plan.

Reactions: RobynLewis

RobynLewis

Jul 28, 2020
Better to contact realtor (such as First Service Residential) and they will ask the owner if they allow tenants to stay on short term basis. Once you have rented your apartment, you can open a bank account without address proof as well as buy your tenant's home insurance that can be use as the residency document for getting the alberta health care insurance plan.
Thanks for responding, Steaky.

So, are you saying to open a bank account I don't really require any address proof? If that's the case then it'd be really helpful.
Regarding First service residential, can I contact them before reaching Calgary? Because I am thinking of avoiding our stay in the hotel and rent an apartment directly.

Thanks,
Robyn Lewis.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most rentals are not listed with realtors especially more affordable ones. High end rentals are the most likely to be listed with realtors.

Reactions: Miracle2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

So, are you saying to open a bank account I don't really require any address proof? If that's the case then it'd be really helpful.
Regarding First service residential, can I contact them before reaching Calgary? Because I am thinking of avoiding our stay in the hotel and rent an apartment directly.

Thanks,
Robyn Lewis.
There are short term rentals available. Most rentals in Canada are unfurnished work you’ll be looking for furnished short term rentals. Watch out for scams. I would suggest booking a stay through something like Airbnb if booking from abroad so that have some protection. You can book a short term furnished rental and then look at other options when you arrive in Calgary. There will always be a premium to pay when booking a short term and a furnished rental. Yes you can use your temporary address to sign up for various cards. I would wait 7ntil you’ve secured your longer term short term rental that you’ll be in for a longer period of time while you look for a job not your initial hotel or Airbnb stay if you only plan on being there for a week. You will have to update your address on things like a health card because that provides your contact address if you were to have an accident and are unconscious, for example, and they need to send the police to your house.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are short term rentals available. Most rentals in Canada are unfurnished work you’ll be looking for furnished short term rentals. Watch out for scams. I would suggest booking a stay through something like Airbnb if booking from abroad so that have some protection. You can book a short term furnished rental and then look at other options when you arrive in Calgary. There will always be a premium to pay when booking a short term and a furnished rental. Yes you can use your temporary address to sign up for various cards. I would wait 7ntil you’ve secured your longer term short term rental that you’ll be in for a longer period of time while you look for a job not your initial hotel or Airbnb stay if you only plan on being there for a week. You will have to update your address on things like a health card because that provides your contact address if you were to have an accident and are unconscious, for example, and they need to send the police to your house.
Airbnb does not not provide you rental agreements. You need rental agreements in order to get Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. As said before, contact realtors for short term and long term rentals.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most rentals are not listed with realtors especially more affordable ones. High end rentals are the most likely to be listed with realtors.
Affordable rentals can also be property managed by the same realtors.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks,
Robyn Lewis.
Yes, no address proof is needed to open a bank account. Yes, you can contact First Service before reaching Calgary.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Airbnb does not not provide you rental agreements. You need rental agreements in order to get Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. As said before, contact realtors for short term and long term rentals.
It is very difficult to get a good rental contract from abroad and it isn’t advisable to sign a rental contract before seeing the apartment. Initially would suggest booking with Airbnb or a hotel. Once in Calgary you can look at various options. Needing full furnished rentals limits your rental options but there are rentals that cater to new immigrants who are landing and need a rental for a month or two. Unfortunately some charge significantly more than the market rate because many aren’t knowledgeable about what is available, are booking from abroad, don’t know what is reasonable rare for size or apartment factoring in the short term contract and furnishings, etc. so it is best to look around before committing to a short term rental.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most rentals are not managed by realtors. Many landlords manage the rentals themselves and for apartments buildings they have their own rental department.
Many landlords and owners of apartment building hire realtors to look after their rentals.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is very difficult to get a good rental contract from abroad and it isn’t advisable to sign a rental contract before seeing the apartment. Initially would suggest booking with Airbnb or a hotel. Once in Calgary you can look at various options. Needing full furnished rentals limits your rental options but there are rentals that cater to new immigrants who are landing and need a rental for a month or two. Unfortunately some charge significantly more than the market rate because many aren’t knowledgeable about what is available, are booking from abroad, don’t know what is reasonable rare for size or apartment factoring in the short term contract and furnishings, etc. so it is best to look around before committing to a short term rental.
It's not difficult. Nowadays, there are virtual tours from realtors' website.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's not difficult. Nowadays, there are virtual tours from realtors' website.
Tours and picture usually only show the favourable parts of the home, use weird angles that make apartments feel bigger, etc. As a landlord I know I only show the best parts of the apartment in pictures. Why would I highlight the bad parts?