+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Longer time taken for spouse dependent visa

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have applied for my spouse dependent visa based on my closed work permit which is expiring on 21st December 2015. The visa application has been submitted at Bangalore, India. Not sure, but have heard that any visitor who plans to stay more than 6 months, need to have their medicals done. But we realized it after we sent the application for processing. Now it's been 2 and 1/2 weeks since application has been submitted. No response yet. The processing times for a visitor visa at Bangalore is 8 days (calendar days). Has anyone else faced this issue ? If so, how did you mitigate it ?

Kindly help.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
nhixon said:
Hi Guys,

I have applied for my spouse dependent visa based on my closed work permit which is expiring on 21st December 2015. The visa application has been submitted at Bangalore, India. Not sure, but have heard that any visitor who plans to stay more than 6 months, need to have their medicals done. But we realized it after we sent the application for processing. Now it's been 2 and 1/2 weeks since application has been submitted. No response yet. The processing times for a visitor visa at Bangalore is 8 days (calendar days). Has anyone else faced this issue ? If so, how did you mitigate it ?

Kindly help.
Hey,

Though not the same situtation but we had submitted for a visit visa for my wife on March 12th and we just received a notification that the passport is on its way back so its almost three weeks...

8 days on the website is not the actual timeline

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
draxz1289 said:
Hey,

Though not the same situtation but we had submitted for a visit visa for my wife on March 12th and we just received a notification that the passport is on its way back so its almost three weeks...

8 days on the website is not the actual timeline
Thanks Draz.

But is the duration of your spouse's visa valid for more than 6 months ? I am not sure what happens if its more than 6 months and they ask for medical ?

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
nhixon said:
Thanks Draz.

But is the duration of your spouse's visa valid for more than 6 months ? I am not sure what happens if its more than 6 months and they ask for medical ?
Usually they give for 6 months but I have seen people get for 1 year as well (for general visit visa) not sure for depend visit visa. In the application the medicals were optional and I would presume if approved they will ask you to take the test so I wouldnt worry about you not submitted it with the application.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
nhixon said:
Hi Guys,

Kindly help.
These types of visas usually get refused because even though its a temporary visa, these are usually for short term visit up to six months. You want your spouse to come to Canada and stay until the end of your permit I presume but CIC will likely ask what will this person do for 9 months or more? Why didn't you apply for an open work permit so that a the very least the option to work is there? In my opinion the risk of refusal is high

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
ButterflyChemist said:
These types of visas usually get refused because even though its a temporary visa, these are usually for short term visit up to six months. You want your spouse to come to Canada and stay until the end of your permit I presume but CIC will likely ask what will this person do for 9 months or more? Why didn't you apply for an open work permit so that a the very least the option to work is there? In my opinion the risk of refusal is high
So...don't house wives get visa ?

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
nhixon said:
So...don't house wives get visa ?

That's not a question I can answer because I do not work for the CIC. TRVs are for up to six months. They can be issued for longer periods such as with minor children who are too young to attend school. accompanying parents on work permit. For adults its a lot more tricky. Remember they look at ties to the home country and ties to Canada, if you aren't working at home and your spouse is in Canada you may not leave when your time is up etc.

Did you outline that you want your spouse to stay for the remaining validity of your work permit or was this to be a short visit? Why didn't you apply for your spouse when you applied for your own work permit? Are you married or common law? Its going to be an uphill battle in my opinion and many people get rejected in these cases.

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
ButterflyChemist said:
That's not a question I can answer because I do not work for the CIC. TRVs are for up to six months. They can be issued for longer periods such as with minor children who are too young to attend school. accompanying parents on work permit. For adults its a lot more tricky. Remember they look at ties to the home country and ties to Canada, if you aren't working at home and your spouse is in Canada you may not leave when your time is up etc.

Did you outline that you want your spouse to stay for the remaining validity of your work permit or was this to be a short visit? Why didn't you apply for your spouse when you applied for your own work permit? Are you married or common law? Its going to be an uphill battle in my opinion and many people get rejected in these cases.
So the answers to your questions are as below :

Yes. By default the expiry of the spouse's visa is set to the work permit expiry since she is a dependent. Moreover, I have also provided the duration of stay as my work permit expiry date in the invitation letter.

My visa is expiring in December. Work permit having a validity of 8 months doesnt make sense. Its difficult to get a job here with a 8 month validity work permit. Moreover, I wanted her to join me asap. Receiving a work permit takes 4-6 weeks on the website (the visitor visa is itself taking time more than 2 and 1/2 weeks, so I would only imagine how long would it take for the WP to arrive). I didnt want to wait forever for her work permit to arrive.

I am married. Not in common-law.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
nhixon said:
So the answers to your questions are as below :

Yes. By default the expiry of the spouse's visa is set to the work permit expiry since she is a dependent. Moreover, I have also provided the duration of stay as my work permit expiry date in the invitation letter.

My visa is expiring in December. Work permit having a validity of 8 months doesnt make sense. Its difficult to get a job here with a 8 month validity work permit. Moreover, I wanted her to join me asap. Receiving a work permit takes 4-6 weeks on the website (the visitor visa is itself taking time more than 2 and 1/2 weeks, so I would only imagine how long would it take for the WP to arrive). I didnt want to wait forever for her work permit to arrive.

I am married. Not in common-law.
She would either get the visa if approved for the duration of your permit since you have mentioned those days as a visit period of for a 6 month (which I think is highly likely). As mentioned by ButterflyChemist, though not impossible its much harder to get a visit visa if a spouse is already here in Canada. A person applying for visit visa will have to show substantial ties that they would come back after the visit.

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
draxz1289 said:
She would either get the visa if approved for the duration of your permit since you have mentioned those days as a visit period of for a 6 month (which I think is highly likely). As mentioned by ButterflyChemist, though not impossible its much harder to get a visit visa if a spouse is already here in Canada. A person applying for visit visa will have to show substantial ties that they would come back after the visit.
Drax,

She is not in Canada currently.

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
nhixon said:
Drax,

She is not in Canada currently.
ButterflyChemist,

You were right. My spousal dependant visa has got rejected. But I assume since I stated to CIC that she would be living for more than 6 months till the validity of my work permit, they looked out for medical examination since its mandatory for guys to do medical it they plan to stay for more than 6 months. If so, if this time I do provide the medical examination results, would there be a chance to get an approval ?

Is it not possible for my spouse to stay here as a house wife for more than 6 months ? I guess that is why they are called dependents since she is dependent on me for taking care of !

Kindly advise.

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
nhixon said:
ButterflyChemist,

You were right. My spousal dependant visa has got rejected. But I assume since I stated to CIC that she would be living for more than 6 months till the validity of my work permit, they looked out for medical examination since its mandatory for guys to do medical it they plan to stay for more than 6 months. If so, if this time I do provide the medical examination results, would there be a chance to get an approval ?

Is it not possible for my spouse to stay here as a house wife for more than 6 months ? I guess that is why they are called dependents since she is dependent on me for taking care of !

Kindly advise.
Can someone please help me.

a7x

Apr 7, 2015
(I am really not an authority on these things. I am myself freaking out over my wife's application)

But, from what I have noticed, when TRVs get rejected, the main reason is that the spouse's home ties aren't strong enough. If she had substantial property back home or you could say that she would go back to take care of parents or another very strong reason which proves that she will go back with you (or sooner), then TRV wouldn't be a problem. Another thing can be that you could have applied for less time period. Something like 2 months (with a real return ticket helps).

To cheer you up, one of my friends got a TRV for his (house)wife, while he is doing PhD, after it got rejected a couple of times. Have faith and be persistent. Just find out what else they need, maybe notarize several of her proofs, and give more solid proof about yourself (although this may not help much) and apply again.

Good luck and I hope your spouse is with you soon. Going through it myself, I hope not even my worst enemy is subjected to prolonged separation like this.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
nhixon said:
ButterflyChemist,

Kindly advise.
Hi
I'm sorry to hear about the rejection. It would be help if I knew what reasons they gave for the rejection. That way we could better suggest how to counteract them.

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
ButterflyChemist said:
Hi
I'm sorry to hear about the rejection. It would be help if I knew what reasons they gave for the rejection. That way we could better suggest how to counteract them.
Hi ButterflyChemist,

The reasons were :
Proof of visit
Your travel History
Your family ties in Canada and in your home country.

These reasons are very strange, since my work permit is of limited validity. My company states that this has never happened before with the company. All other employee's VISA have always got approved providing the same proofs and content. Me and also my company sent letters stating all information about me and my spouse and the reason for visit (spouse as dependent). :(