+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long Distance 1 year met person once then married 20 Photo Limit Question

Wizard31

Dec 29, 2020
Greetings Everyone,

I am trying to sponsor my wife from South East Asia ,and the application says 20 photos minimum. I was just wondering our relationship is unique. We met dating app in July 2020. We both married online with 100 + guest and we know this will not be accepted by IRRC. So after one year trying to go to each other I was able to fly to her in October 2021 and met first time and married in their government office.

I came back Jan and now my question is how is 20 pictures going to work for me? I have bunch of chat longs with her family separately, chatlogs with her and my family separately. Friend groups. Events and screen shots talking to each other over the long year wait. Is that what I do? If i just show 20 pictures of us together in person it would only be span of month and half and don't feel that is even a glimpse to the proof of our relationship. I feel the bread and butter is all the surprise events I did over seas for her and little things she did from there for me over here.

I actually have 30 pictures of our zoom wedding with 100 + attendees. We married under out faith actually in November 2020 one year prior to marrying in office and know we need official documentation to start visa.

30 pictures and screen shots of proof of both of us having relationship with each others family's such as screen shots text messages and event planning , example me and her family with out her. And my family and her with out me. Like just genuine relationships. I have 4 letters from her side and 4 support letters from my side.

20 pictures of our honey moon be cause we stayed so many places. and then 20 pictures of me spending time with her and family in person. We both made friendships with each others families as well. Like how do I show my proof in ONLY 20 pictures. I get it 20 pictures work for people who been together in person for year or more but ours is complicated. Anyone in my exact shoes?

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
It's 20 pictures max. There's nothing stopping you from including other types of "proof of relationship" to help your cause.

I would suggest a narrative but you will have to be very specific and detailed since your relationship would be considered new and "fast-tracked" or whatever. No offense intended.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Greetings Everyone,

I am trying to sponsor my wife from South East Asia ,and the application says 20 photos minimum. I was just wondering our relationship is unique. We met dating app in July 2020. We both married online with 100 + guest and we know this will not be accepted by IRRC. So after one year trying to go to each other I was able to fly to her in October 2021 and met first time and married in their government office.

I came back Jan and now my question is how is 20 pictures going to work for me? I have bunch of chat longs with her family separately, chatlogs with her and my family separately. Friend groups. Events and screen shots talking to each other over the long year wait. Is that what I do? If i just show 20 pictures of us together in person it would only be span of month and half and don't feel that is even a glimpse to the proof of our relationship. I feel the bread and butter is all the surprise events I did over seas for her and little things she did from there for me over here.

I actually have 30 pictures of our zoom wedding with 100 + attendees. We married under out faith actually in November 2020 one year prior to marrying in office and know we need official documentation to start visa.

30 pictures and screen shots of proof of both of us having relationship with each others family's such as screen shots text messages and event planning , example me and her family with out her. And my family and her with out me. Like just genuine relationships. I have 4 letters from her side and 4 support letters from my side.

20 pictures of our honey moon be cause we stayed so many places. and then 20 pictures of me spending time with her and family in person. We both made friendships with each others families as well. Like how do I show my proof in ONLY 20 pictures. I get it 20 pictures work for people who been together in person for year or more but ours is complicated. Anyone in my exact shoes?
The goal of the pictures is not to show every little event in your relationship. What is important is to show that you’ve been together in person over a period of time and have lived like a normal couple plus proof of marriage. Still confused as to why you’d have a zoom wedding months after meeting online and before meeting in person especially knowing it was not going to be allowed to use for sponsorship. Why there was such a rush to get married via zoom before meeting in person can be a red flag.

Last edited:

Wizard31

Dec 29, 2020
It's 20 pictures max. There's nothing stopping you from including other types of "proof of relationship" to help your cause.

I would suggest a narrative but you will have to be very specific and detailed since your relationship would be considered new and "fast-tracked" or whatever. No offense intended.
Hey !

Thank you for the reply. This is why I got confused. I have pictures and screen shots of me doing surprise party for her over there from Canada but would that be considered a photo? and are screen shots considered photos too? And no offense taken. My details make the package look thick thats why im worried if they will be annoyed. i have over 100 photos which include screen shots and events and moments where we all had sweet moments through video call and event planning. Like that is a huge part of our relationship too.

Wizard31

Dec 29, 2020
The goal of the pictures is not to show every little event in your relationship. What is important is to show that you’ve been together in person over a period of time and have lived like a normal couple plus proof of marriage. Still confused as to why you’d have a zoom wedding months after meeting online and before meeting in person especially knowing it was not going to be allowed to use for sponsorship. Why there was such a rush to get married via zoom before meeting in person can be a red flag.
Hi !

Thank you for the response. That is the thing we have been together in person only month , we are both religious who wanted get married , it might seem bizare to some people but in our culture this is normal. The reason we had zoom marriage is in our faith we already wanted to be considered husband and wife. Both of us wanted to be married , so the zoom wedding is a legal wedding in our Religion, binding us husband and wife. That is what we both wanted, a lot of people do arrange marriage but their intentions are looking for a marriage. We kind of skipped the arrange step and did it our selves. A lot of people go on the app like those serious marriage dating apps. I do know her family well and she knows my well , like there was alot of planning and talking before our zoom wedding. I know this may not seem "traditional" in Canada that is why my case is unique. I hope that explanation would be ok to the IRRC? like dont get me wrong i can understand why its a red flag now im just worried even more about our application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi !

Thank you for the response. That is the thing we have been together in person only month , we are both religious who wanted get married , it might seem bizare to some people but in our culture this is normal. The reason we had zoom marriage is in our faith we already wanted to be considered husband and wife. Both of us wanted to be married , so the zoom wedding is a legal wedding in our Religion, binding us husband and wife. That is what we both wanted, a lot of people do arrange marriage but their intentions are looking for a marriage. We kind of skipped the arrange step and did it our selves. A lot of people go on the app like those serious marriage dating apps. I do know her family well and she knows my well , like there was alot of planning and talking before our zoom wedding. I know this may not seem "traditional" in Canada that is why my case is unique. I hope that explanation would be ok to the IRRC? like dont get me wrong i can understand why its a red flag now im just worried even more about our application
Given that you couldn’t actually be together in person after your zoom wedding and would need to get married in person it still doesn’t make a lot of sense why you couldn’t wait until you got married in person. When IRCC wants pictures they want pictures of you two together in person or with family in person.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi !

Don't put too much weight on the "zoom wedding". It's not because it' not seem "traditional" in Canada. It does not count as legal marriage in Canada. (virtual wedding that both parties of the marriage are not physically present is not consider a legal marriage/wedding)

So put more attention to your actual wedding on October 2021. The zoom wedding is just some online event as part of your wedding celebration.

For people who applied with years of relationship, they pick the photos that shows families, friends and coworkers that the couple were with. They show travel together and quality time spent together. IRCC do not expect all 20 photos from 1 event. I agress that your time spent together isn't very long. So that may be red flag.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
3 months together 1 visit, is not enough for IRCC to prove a genuine marriage - speaking from experience. IRCC likes to see a "development of relationship".
If you apply now, you will set yourself up for a possible interview and a huge delay.
If I were in your shoes I would make another visit before applying sponsorship. Keep documentation of all communication and make a visit in 6 months, then apply.
Also I would not even mention the Zoom wedding at all. This Zoom wedding before even meeting face to face would raise a huge red flag. You do not want to start off on the wrong foot with IRCC. IRCC will question in their mind as to why would people marry without seeing each other (except arranged marriages of young people in certain culture like in India or Pakistan).
You did a Civil marriage in-person >> that's what COUNTS.
Dont worry about 20 photos- IRCC might ask you for additional photos at a later time.
In the case you still want to apply right now, be sure to plan a visit in a few months (during the process of application) - the best time to visit is as soon as your file is transferred to the Visa Office for processing, so that when an officer picks up your file, he gets an update from you that you are again together in spouse home country spending time together.
Do not underestimate IRCC nowadays its really really tough.