+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lonely Canadian sponsorship of a niece

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are several family sponsorship programs.
1. One says that I can sponsor a member of a family class, which can be a nephew or a niece if they are orphaned and younger than 18
2.The "Lonely Canadian" program says that I can sponsor any person (so includes a niece or a nephew) if I do not have any other person whom I can sponsor as a member of a family class. Since I have that little newphew who qualifies under the family class, it interferes with this one.

In original, it was worded like this:
"
Whom may I sponsor using this application package?

You can use this application package to sponsor:

· a child whom you adopted outside Canada and you were a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada at the time the adoption took place, or a child whom you intend to adopt in Canada. Consult the Appendix A.

· your brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter, if he or she is an orphan, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship;

· any other person, regardless of age, with whom you have a family relationship if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, a registered Indian, a permanent resident or whom you may sponsor as a member of the family class."
Understand that but you are interested in applying to sponsor your niece. How is your nephew's guardianship related to sponsoring your niece.

Mira33

Nov 3, 2018
By this rules I cannot sponsor my 30 year old no-orphan niece if I have a nephew who is orphaned and younger than 7. I was wondering is the fact that he has a legal guardian who is not a member of my family changing that?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
By this rules I cannot sponsor my 30 year old no-orphan niece if I have a nephew who is orphaned and younger than 7. I was wondering is the fact that he has a legal guardian who is not a member of my family changing that?
That is not how I read the rules. Think you are safe sponsoring your niece even though you have a nephew living in his home country under the guardianship of a family member (not your niece). Confirming that you don't have a common law partner.

Reactions: Mira33

Mira33

Nov 3, 2018
I sincerely hope that is the case! I will check with few other sources, but either way I am applying and explaining these circumstances for transparency reasons. She has to name all her half-brothers so she will list him and attach the explanation.
I do not have a common-law partner or a spouse, that much is certain, nor parents or children of my own.

chrissy12

Jan 27, 2014
Again, there is no "normal" sponsorship path for a aunt, so that clause is not applicable.

There is however a sponsorship program for both parents and grandparents, which is why IF they are alive, they DO get priority.

You should just get on with your application.... As far as I can tell from the information you have provided, you should be able to sponsor that one niece and her immediate dependents, if any.

Hi,

I just want to ask, will it be possible to sponsor a brother under the "lonely canadian" if parents does not want to come. Will a statutory declaration that wont sponsor parents in the future help? Mom is too old and does not want to come. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I just want to ask, will it be possible to sponsor a brother under the "lonely canadian" if parents does not want to come. Will a statutory declaration that wont sponsor parents in the future help? Mom is too old and does not want to come. Thank you

Not possible if your parents are alive.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
There are several family sponsorship programs.
1. One says that I can sponsor a member of a family class, which can be a nephew or a niece if they are orphaned and younger than 18
2.The "Lonely Canadian" program says that I can sponsor any person (so includes a niece or a nephew) if I do not have any other person whom I can sponsor as a member of a family class. Since I have that little newphew who qualifies under the family class, it interferes with this one.

In original, it was worded like this:
"
Whom may I sponsor using this application package?

You can use this application package to sponsor:

· a child whom you adopted outside Canada and you were a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada at the time the adoption took place, or a child whom you intend to adopt in Canada. Consult the Appendix A.

· your brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter, if he or she is an orphan, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship;

· any other person, regardless of age, with whom you have a family relationship if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, a registered Indian, a permanent resident or whom you may sponsor as a member of the family class."
Mira, how are you?
I am your fellow Vancouverite(well, Coquitlamite, if there is such thing)
I am in the process of sponsoring my 25yo niece under the "lonely Canadian clause", can you let me know how your process has gone so far? Did you manage to get the girl in?
Please, let me know.

Ajju16

May 30, 2021
Not sure how old is this thread, could you pls share the outcome, I would like to sponsor my niece under this program, both her parents are alive, she just turned 18

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not sure how old is this thread, could you pls share the outcome, I would like to sponsor my niece under this program, both her parents are alive, she just turned 18
If you are unmarried / not in a common law relationship, have no children, both of your parents are deceased, and you have no family members in Canada - then you can sponsor your niece.