+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

London Visa Office: Closed Work Permit, SOWP and Child TRV Delay

IndicNord

Sep 14, 2019
Hi all,

We are into the 11th week of processing when the normal processing time is 7 weeks.

Here's our timeline:
  • Application Country: Norway
  • Applications:
    1. Closed Work Permit (LMIA positive, High Wage Stream, LMIA approval took one week with the LMIA number provided and LMIA letter was emailed in 2 weeks)
    2. SOWP
    3. TRV for Minor Child
  • Application Date: 5th July 2019
  • AoR: 5th July 2109
  • Biometrics Request: 5th July 2019
  • Biometrics Submitted: 8th July 2019 (only spouse as I have valid biometrics)
  • Biometrics Registration on IRCC website: 9th July 2019
  • Eligibility Review: Started around 20th July (I think)
  • Current Status: Eligibility under review, Background checks being conducted. No medicals required, no biometrics required, no additional documents required and no interview needed.
  • Travel History: More than 10 countries (including USA, UK & Aus) in addition to Schengen with multiple visits for all three applications.
  • All three of us hold currently valid TRVs (V-1) to Canada.
I have submitted inquiries via Web Form twice after processing time exceeded and emailed the London Immigration Office twice. NO reply whatsoever.

My most recent TRV to Canada was approved in 10 days and the 2 prior TRVs in the last 10 years were approved in good time.

We are worried about the processing delay as my child is missing school and we might be one of the unlucky ones where the process becomes a complete black hole with neither updates nor responses to Web Form and Email enquiries.

I have two questions:
  • Is the delay specific to the London Visa Office issue or is there a general delay due to a glut of work permit applications recently?
  • Can VFS VAC for Canada in London help inquire about our case?
Thanks & Regards

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

We are into the 11th week of processing when the normal processing time is 7 weeks.

Here's our timeline:
  • Application Country: Norway
  • Applications:
    1. Closed Work Permit (LMIA positive, High Wage Stream, LMIA approval took one week with the LMIA number provided and LMIA letter was emailed in 2 weeks)
    2. SOWP
    3. TRV for Minor Child
  • Application Date: 5th July 2019
  • AoR: 5th July 2109
  • Biometrics Request: 5th July 2019
  • Biometrics Submitted: 8th July 2019 (only spouse as I have valid biometrics)
  • Biometrics Registration on IRCC website: 9th July 2019
  • Eligibility Review: Started around 20th July (I think)
  • Current Status: Eligibility under review, Background checks being conducted. No medicals required, no biometrics required, no additional documents required and no interview needed.
  • Travel History: More than 10 countries (including USA, UK & Aus) in addition to Schengen with multiple visits for all three applications.
  • All three of us hold currently valid TRVs (V-1) to Canada.
I have submitted inquiries via Web Form twice after processing time exceeded and emailed the London Immigration Office twice. NO reply whatsoever.

My most recent TRV to Canada was approved in 10 days and the 2 prior TRVs in the last 10 years were approved in good time.

We are worried about the processing delay as my child is missing school and we might be one of the unlucky ones where the process becomes a complete black hole with neither updates nor responses to Web Form and Email enquiries.

I have two questions:
  • Is the delay specific to the London Visa Office issue or is there a general delay due to a glut of work permit applications recently?
  • Can VFS VAC for Canada in London help inquire about our case?
Thanks & Regards
1. Delays beyond the posted processing time tend to be specific to the app, not the office.

2. The VFS cannot inquire for you.

As you applied for work permits to live in Canada, the review is more in-depth than just a TRV for visiting. A common reason for delay is the background checks run in other countries, especially when applying from a country that is not your home country.

Reactions: IndicNord

IndicNord

Sep 14, 2019
Thank you.

Regarding the background checks, that makes sense as we lived in different countries in Asia, US, EU the past 20 years and different countries in Europe the past 10 years.

Normal processing time for Work Permit applications from Norway still shows up as 7 weeks BUT for UK it is 18 weeks. Since our online applications were submitted to the London Visa Office, we thought the delays could be with the London Visa Office.

Anyways, my company is looking into it and we will hopefully get an update soon. I will post to this thread when we get the passport submission request.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you.

Regarding the background checks, that makes sense as we lived in different countries in Asia, US, EU the past 20 years and different countries in Europe the past 10 years.

Normal processing time for Work Permit applications from Norway still shows up as 7 weeks BUT for UK it is 18 weeks. Since our online applications were submitted to the London Visa Office, we thought the delays could be with the London Visa Office.

Anyways, my company is looking into it and we will hopefully get an update soon. I will post to this thread when we get the passport submission request.
The UK processing time is for people residing in the UK. I would guess the UK time is higher than Norway because the UK has a larger and more diverse population.

Given your background, I'd say that is the reason for the delay. You can request GCMS notes; it takes 30 days and you may very well have an approval by then but it would still give you an idea of what happened.

Reactions: IndicNord

IndicNord

Sep 14, 2019
This is very helpful, thank you so much!

I will ask the immigration advisor at my company to request the GCMS notes on Monday.

IndicNord

Sep 14, 2019
Received PPR on Monday, 21st Oct, submitted to VFS Canada London Visa Application Centre on 22/10, TRV-W1 counterfoils issued on 23/10, PoE Introduction letters and Correspondence letters issued on 23/10, and passports collected from VFS Canada London VAC on Thursday, 24/10.

We arrive in Toronto this Sunday.

Almost 16 weeks of processing against the normal processing time of 8 weeks for work permit applications from Norway.

Please stay patient. Good luck to you all!

maans7097

Dec 28, 2022
I have applied for my husband Spouse open work permit in 02 May 2022 and still not getting any results. When I tracked my application it says they are reviewing eligibility. My application i sin London, Ontario canada office.
I need help I have no idea what should I do to get the results fask becauae its getting to long???????