+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

London Stopover - transit Visa Required????

Swathi.life

Oct 18, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vermanaman said:
It is better to get the transit visa in advance. You are able to get a transit visa for few hours at the airport, however it is highly unlikely if you are travelling in this region for the first time.
Also 4 hour stop over is not enough to go to the city and come back - if thats what your plan is. They usually give transit visa at airport for those who have 6 hours plus (usually 9 to 12 hours of stop)
This is from personal experience.
how much does this visa cost ? the one we can get in airport ?

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swathi.life said:
how much does this visa cost ? the one we can get in airport ?
They usually just stamp you in. ;D

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swathi.life said:
for free ?
Yes...there is no guarantee that will do this though.

srisrikanth

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
LANDED..........
09-08-2013
As per the recent UK visa policy, Indians traveling via UK need a transit visa, whether it is 1 hr or 24hrs. Once over check with your travel agents or embassies.

Till date Australia has the same, now UK added to that worst system.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
srisrikanth said:
As per the recent UK visa policy, Indians traveling via UK need a transit visa, whether it is 1 hr or 24hrs. Once over check with your travel agents or embassies.

Till date Australia has the same, now UK added to that worst system.
This is correct. But there are exceptions to this as stated in my previous posts on this topic.
If you have an onward flight to Canada/US within 24 hours and a valid visa with confirmed ticket you do not need a transit visa as long as its the same airport.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sweetalker said:
Hi All..

I have a Jet airways flight.. Where stopover in London (Heathrow) is almost 16 hours. Also, the connecting flight is for next day morning. Now.. Airline is not helping for any VISA..

I called up VFS UK.. They say I wud need a transit VISA as the flight is on next day.

Anybody faced a similar situation..?
Transit visa also faces rejections?
Okay now this is for all with similar query. Ideally you shouldn't buy a ticket with a layover of more than 5 hours unless you plan to visit the transit country. Now, if you have a connecting flight from the same airport (irrespective of the terminal), you need not worry about transit visa at all even if your stay is over 10 hours. It's just that you will need to sit here and there and also you can try your hands on Piano as they have one almost next to all terminals (within your access, which means you need not pass through IO). Now, if you feel like having a look outside in London, you should carry your connecting flight ticket and other documents with you at IO, you can be issued a transit visa of 48 hours instantly without any wait. Though there is a fee of 64 pounds, but I have never paid that fee out of my three transit visits to London (now travel history may have impacted this as I have two business visa of UK and one tourist - all have expired though).

Yes, to be 100% sure, you can apply for the transit visa at your home country, but isn't it stupid to waste so much of money unless you are really planning to see London (and if you do, then 10 to 15 hours will fetch you actual tourist time of 5 go 8 hours which means at max you can go to Hayes street and come back). Considering all the charges, like taxi, transit visa fee, then if there is a night, you may need a hotel as well, so over all you will be spending close to 200 Dollars for all this. And you must have taken this ticket just to save money.

Another good news for you is, I don't know what time your flight lands at Heathrow, Jet flights usually land there at around 8pm to 10pm UK time and Air Canada usually operates from morning (UK time), which means you won't even get to meet Air Canada, should there be a need until next morning.

So, in a nutshell, if you have no plan of visiting UK, it was a F****D up decision to buy such ticket.

Wish you luck.
Cheers!

Swathi.life

Oct 18, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sabby2612 said:
Okay now this is for all with similar query. Ideally you shouldn't buy a ticket with a layover of more than 5 hours unless you plan to visit the transit country. Now, if you have a connecting flight from the same airport (irrespective of the terminal), you need not worry about transit visa at all even if your stay is over 10 hours. It's just that you will need to sit here and there and also you can try your hands on Piano as they have one almost next to all terminals (within your access, which means you need not pass through IO). Now, if you feel like having a look outside in London, you should carry your connecting flight ticket and other documents with you at IO, you can be issued a transit visa of 48 hours instantly without any wait. Though there is a fee of 64 pounds, but I have never paid that fee out of my three transit visits to London (now travel history may have impacted this as I have two business visa of UK and one tourist - all have expired though).

Yes, to be 100% sure, you can apply for the transit visa at your home country, but isn't it stupid to waste so much of money unless you are really planning to see London (and if you do, then 10 to 15 hours will fetch you actual tourist time of 5 go 8 hours which means at max you can go to Hayes street and come back). Considering all the charges, like taxi, transit visa fee, then if there is a night, you may need a hotel as well, so over all you will be spending close to 200 Dollars for all this. And you must have taken this ticket just to save money.

Another good news for you is, I don't know what time your flight lands at Heathrow, Jet flights usually land there at around 8pm to 10pm UK time and Air Canada usually operates from morning (UK time), which means you won't even get to meet Air Canada, should there be a need until next morning.

So, in a nutshell, if you have no plan of visiting UK, it was a F****D up decision to buy such ticket.

Wish you luck.
Cheers!
wt documents will i need for a transit visa issued at the Heathrow airport ?

most of them are taking British Airways for the extra baggage allowance

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
passport, connecting flight ticket and other docs like college LOA can help. Almost all flights allow you take almost 50kg in total and I am sure unless you taking everything with you except kitchen sink, it can't be 50kg.

srisrikanth

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
LANDED..........
09-08-2013
Hello Sabby,

As per my knowledge there is no exceptions for Indians on UK transit visa, even if you have 5 mins transit, visa is mandatory.

Because of this reason some of them have cancelled their trips for upcoming Christmas.

Give a call to VFS - UK and check with them.

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
Hi...there is no seperate rules for indians...kindly check the uk border agency site for more details..all information are given very clearly in that.

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
India is also a visa national as per new rules...but those who have valid us/canada visa are eligible for travel without transit visa..

raoulshrma

Sep 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need a transit Visa if you have a confirmed onward flight to Canada.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-to-transit-landside/

Read 'Transit without visa' concession under more information

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
srisrikanth said:
Hello Sabby,

As per my knowledge there is no exceptions for Indians on UK transit visa, even if you have 5 mins transit, visa is mandatory.

Because of this reason some of them have cancelled their trips for upcoming Christmas.

Give a call to VFS - UK and check with them.
Okay lets understand one fact first, as long as you need not pass through IO, you needn't worry about the Transit Visa (except USA is bit finicky in this case). But in UK, if your halt is of 5 to 10 hours with connecting flight from the same airport and you are happy to spend rest of your halt time at airport, then dont worry about transit visa. In fact, in this case, I really appreciate Dubai Airport, at Dubai airport, If your halt is more than 4.5 hours, no matter which airline or which class, there is lounge only for people with more than 4.5 hours halt and you get served snacks and damn good alcohol and beverages free of charge.