+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LOE Advice: On Explaining a Career Shift

wip_5l_0000

May 11, 2023
I'm applying for my student visa, with intentions to ultimately settle in Canada.

My dilemma with the LOE is: how do I best frame my career shift from finance to transportation economics by means of taking higher studies in economics.

A) Transportation Route
I am passionate about the transportation sector and its potential to help mitigate climate change. While I can write at length on this, my concern is regarding the matter of home ties. Ideally, the VO must be convinced that I can find a high paying job in my home country. However, jobs are rare and highly underpaid, which may not satisfy the VO.

B) Finance Route
I can use my present background in finance to justify taking studies in economics easily as they are complementary disciplines. Jobs are significantly more common and better paid in my home country, thus making this option the easiest to defend.
However, my concern is whether there will be long-term impacts. Will I risk an investigation from the VO on my future course and career choices and flag me for misrepresentation?

C) Climate Route
I can tangentially discuss at length about my desire to find climate solutions and how an economics degree will help me enter the sector. From a home ties perspective, the jobs are uncommon but better paid.
Knowing that economist roles in the public sector are uncommon, I am open to the flexibility of shifting industries later in my career. This route is more-or-less a middle-ground. I just wonder if the VO will be very strict about my career choices after uni if I apply for PGWP/EE/Citizenship.