+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO validity and applying for work permit

Ajaypal

May 12, 2010
Hi ,

I came to Canada a year ago(Jan 2010) and after completing my 8 month course , I got a permanent job in IT 6 months before under post grad open work permit.

As my work permit is expiring in October 2011(just 6 month left) , I am planning to apply for a HSRDC , LMO approval. I have following doubts :-

1. As LMO is valid for 6 months can I apply for a LMO now ?
2. After a successful LMO (hopefully) , When I can apply for a extended work permit?? Can I apply in June or July.
3. If LMO got rejected first time , can I reapply for that once again ?
4. As I am currently working for the same job , do my employer has to show any evidence (advertisement) that they tried to hire a citizen or a PR before considering me ?
5. For a QA Engineer (NOC 2171), is there a good chance to get a successful LMO ??
6. How much max work permit I can get after receiving LMO ??

I will be really thankfull to you for your replies ..

Thanks
AJ

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You realize that YOU don't apply for the LMO. The employer does.

1. An employer can apply for an LMO any time they want. If they intend to keep you for the position, then it's a good idea for them to apply at least 4 months before your current WP expires.
2. Strategically, I would apply just before your current permit expires. You will be on implied status. However, think about your healthcare coverage. Provincial health insurance is not valid while on implied status. But you can apply for the WP 90 days or less before your current permit expires. And it's not an extension of your PGWP, it's a Change of Conditions from PGWP (which is open) to WP (which is closed to one employer)
3. Yes, the employer can apply again if the LMO is rejected. However, they would have to overcome the reasons for refusal.
4. No, not if it is a skilled occupation and you are on a PGWP
5. Don't know
6. HRSDC is advised to allow 2 years work for LMOs where the foreign national is currently on a PGWP. But it is at their discretion.

swapnil

Mar 5, 2012
hello

As i am working as kitchen helper. and i am going to apply for PGWP. after that owner is ready to apply for LMO in Saskatchewan. So is this possible after recruitment owner can apply for LMO in such position and if yes then is same process as employer are do or any other different process in such case?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
swapnil said:
hello

As i am working as kitchen helper. and i am going to apply for PGWP. after that owner is ready to apply for LMO in Saskatchewan. So is this possible after recruitment owner can apply for LMO in such position and if yes then is same process as employer are do or any other different process in such case?
How can you apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit? Did you just graduate from a Canadian school?

swapnil

Mar 5, 2012
Yes, i just completed my school n within 90 days i have to apply for PGWP. but my owner is ready to do a process for LMO. So my question is either owner have to apply right now or after my post graduate work permit?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
swapnil said:
Yes, i just completed my school n within 90 days i have to apply for PGWP. but my owner is ready to do a process for LMO. So my question is either owner have to apply right now or after my post graduate work permit?
Yes, the owner can apply for an LMO if he wants but why do it now when you don't need it? Maybe he needs to hire more people too? LMOs are a lot of work and I would not do one unless I had to. But he's free to do as he likes of course. As far as you are concerned, you realize that your PGWP is open and you can work for whomever you want while you have it, right? I would not give it up for a regular work permit until I absolutely had to switch because it was getting close to expiry.

swapnil

Mar 5, 2012
yeah i done 1 year course and i will get 8 month work permit. i just came to SK and according to SK rules we can apply for SNIP after 1 year so i think that i need LMO in future. I dont have any other option other that this. If you have any other choice just let me know.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
swapnil said:
yeah i done 1 year course and i will get 8 month work permit. i just came to SK and according to SK rules we can apply for SNIP after 1 year so i think that i need LMO in future. I dont have any other option other that this. If you have any other choice just let me know.
Ah, ok. I see what your end goal is. The back to your original question, kitchen helper is considered low skilled so your employer applies for a regular LMO with all of the recruitment and advertising proof. You can switch from the PGWP to apply for a regular work permit as soon as a positive LMO is received.