+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO + TRV + WP "How does it really work?"

jrge

Oct 12, 2011
Dear friends, I'm new to this forum, and am all confused about how all this works.

This is my case:

Until recently, I was working in the US and once my contract expired we moved to the UK. Now, the same company has offered me a job in Canada and has retained an Attorney to handle this matter.

She (The Attorney) mentioned that first we needed to obtain a positive LMO. Then, since I need a visa to enter Canada, we will have to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa and later for a work permit.

She wouldn't elaborate in an exact timetable for the whole process, but instead, asked me to patiently wait 8 - 10 weeks for the LMO, and then another 4 - 6 weeks for the rest.

Could somebody kindly explain to me in more detail, how this all process works?

Thank you in advance for any inputs, I appreciate them!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jrge said:
Dear friends, I'm new to this forum, and am all confused about how all this works.

This is my case:

Until recently, I was working in the US and once my contract expired we moved to the UK. Now, the same company has offered me a job in Canada and has retained an Attorney to handle this matter.

She (The Attorney) mentioned that first we needed to obtain a positive LMO. Then, since I need a visa to enter Canada, we will have to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa and later for a work permit.

She wouldn't elaborate in an exact timetable for the whole process, but instead, asked me to patiently wait 8 - 10 weeks for the LMO, and then another 4 - 6 weeks for the rest.

Could somebody kindly explain to me in more detail, how this all process works?

Thank you in advance for any inputs, I appreciate them!
1. The employer applies for the LMO to HRSDC after advertising the position on the job bank for a minimum of 2 weeks. Then they have to demonstrate why no Canadians or PRs are qualified.
2. If HRSDC approves the LMO, then the employer sends you a copy and you apply to London for a TRV and Work permit with the LMO

scuudz

Sep 29, 2011
jrge said:
I don't know about applying from the UK, but as I understand it, you dont have to apply separately for the TRV and the work permit. You fill out the application form and provide all the necessary documents for the work permit, and if you are approved, you get an approval letter AND a TRV is stamped inside your passport and returned to you. You get the actual work permit at the point of entry into Canada upon producing the approval letter you receive.

Hope this helps!

jrge

Oct 12, 2011
Thank you both for your inputs.

Does anyone of you have an idea how long this all process might take? I have also read about getting some medical test/examination done, what's that all about?

Kind Regards.