22-05-2012
Passport Req..
10/08/2013
VISA ISSUED...
11/08/2013
LANDED..........
11/08/2013
Hi,

Here is my sitaution. I am from the UK, my girlfriend is from the USA. We are currently both living and working in Toronto. I was on a Working Holiday visa, but I have now moved onto a work permit relative to my job which is valid for another 2 years. My girlfriend is still on the Working Holiday visa, but as she is from the USA it is only valid for 6 months.

She applied for an LMO so she can stay in Toronto but it was rejected: "the wage you offered ($12.50) is below the prevailing wage ($16.20) for this occupation."

She asked for a pay rise but her company said they are not willing to pay more for the position.

I know that if we had been living together for 12 consecutive months we could get her an Open visa linked to my work permit, but she only came to Canada in January. This means she's have to sit at home unable to work until next January before she could get a work permit through me.

Is there anyway of:
1) Getting the LMO approved without a payrise?
2) Getting her a work permit linked to my work permit even though we havent lived together for 12 consecutive months?
3) Any other options for her to work?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Beakster said:
Hi,

Here is my sitaution. I am from the UK, my girlfriend is from the USA. We are currently both living and working in Toronto. I was on a Working Holiday visa, but I have now moved onto a work permit relative to my job which is valid for another 2 years. My girlfriend is still on the Working Holiday visa, but as she is from the USA it is only valid for 6 months.

She applied for an LMO so she can stay in Toronto but it was rejected: "the wage you offered ($12.50) is below the prevailing wage ($16.20) for this occupation."

She asked for a pay rise but her company said they are not willing to pay more for the position.

I know that if we had been living together for 12 consecutive months we could get her an Open visa linked to my work permit, but she only came to Canada in January. This means she's have to sit at home unable to work until next January before she could get a work permit through me.

Is there anyway of:
1) Getting the LMO approved without a payrise?
2) Getting her a work permit linked to my work permit even though we havent lived together for 12 consecutive months?
3) Any other options for her to work?

Thanks
1. No.
2. No.
3. Another job where the employer is will to get an LMO by paying the prevailing wage.

sundeepgill

Jul 31, 2010
Hi
I was rading what you wrote and was wondering if i could get some advice. I currently live in Uk and want to move o Canada. I will be coming to Toronto on a Bunac but I am worried that after a year LMO will reject my work permit. I have a degree and am a recruitment consultant. I have checked and can not get a skilled Visa. I was wondering with this job do you think I will get a work permit and what job do youdo and why were you successful

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sundeepgill said:
Hi
I was rading what you wrote and was wondering if i could get some advice. I currently live in Uk and want to move o Canada. I will be coming to Toronto on a Bunac but I am worried that after a year LMO will reject my work permit. I have a degree and am a recruitment consultant. I have checked and can not get a skilled Visa. I was wondering with this job do you think I will get a work permit and what job do youdo and why were you successful
No one knows a 18 months in advance whether you can find an employer that is able to get an LMO for a specific job. Depends on how many Canadians/PRs are available for the job. If they are available, you won't get the LMO>