+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO on process..Work Permit expiring...Help Please

vampiredeepu

Aug 2, 2013
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance as I am sure I will get the best suggestions from this website.

I am currently working as an RN in Ontario. My employer has applied for LMO for me. This is the first time they are applying for an LMO and I heard from many that it takes longer time for approval if the employer is applying for the first time. I have my work permit expiring by end of August. As on Aug 02, its been six weeks since they have applied for the LMO. How long would it take from here for approval . I am afraid if it will be rejected for some reason or get delayed as the CIC employees are on strike. Is their any option for me to extend my stay . I heard about something called extending the stay for another 3 months on "Implied Status". Does this apply in my case ? Am I eligible to apply for this extension ? If yes, what all documents do I need for that ? Please please please help me.... I am really tensed and nervous..

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
LMO applications are processed by HRSDC, not CIC.
For a friend of mine here in BC it took 10 weeks for the LMO application, as they
sometimes require further information from your employer.
You don't need any documents and you can't apply for implied status. What it is, is that once you
get the positive LMO and apply for a work permit, even if your current work permit expires,
you can stay and keep working under the same conditions for up to 90 days until CIC makes a decision on your application.
If you work permit expires before you get a positive LMO, I guess, you'll need to change your status to visitor,
wait for the LMO and then apply for work permit again.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, guys.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
More information about implied status here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=188&t=17

and about changing your status in Canada here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Saur

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo..now I guess CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2011
Doc's Request.
June 28, 2013
Nomination.....
14-02-2012
Med's Request
August 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 15, 2013
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
21-08-2013 (got the passport back on Aug 30, 2013)
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2013
LANDED..........
03-09-2013 @ Rainbow bridge...
Hi vampiredeepu,

I was having a similar kind of situation in 2011.

My PGWP was having a validity until June 01, 2011.

My employer applied for LMO (to HRSDC ) in second week of May 2011. I sent my application for work permit to CIC on May 18, 2011 with an explanation letter that I'm applying for work permit without LMO right now becasue my work permit is expiring on June 01, 2011 and I will submit the LMO once I receive it.
LMO was processed withing 4 weeks at that time. My employer informed me around June 20, 2011. There was a file/ approval number on LMO approval letter something like 123456 (just an example). I called the CIC ( @ 1-888-2242-2100) and provided this number to them to add to my file. The call agent centre completed that. I again called the CIC next day (just to be on the safe side), the CIC agent informed me that the LMO approval number has been added to my file.

During those days, there was a Canada post strike so the processing time was very long. I got my work permit approved on Sept 13, 2011 for 2 years.

The things worked out well becasue of the long processing time. (If my work permit application would have been opened before the LMO approval, it might have been rejected ---as per my understanding).

I have just extended my work permit as BOWP as PR application is taking longer...:(.

I just wanted to share my experience with you.

Regards,
saur.

jesuslu

May 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-08-2012
AOR Received.
Dec 2012
Med's Request
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
09-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
1st Aug 2013
LANDED..........
14th Aug 2013
Hi,
I was in the same condition in 2011, when my work permit expired.My company applied for LMO 3 months before the expiry of work permit,but due to processing delays,my work permit got rejected,since I didnt have positive LMO.As soon as I got my approved LMO,my company reapplied for me & I got a renewed work permit.But in the end, without my knowing I worked 2 months(Nov-DEC 2011) w/o authorization,which neither of us (my company or myself)knew about,until I saw in my GCMS notes in May 2013.
As far as I know,CIC call center guys adviced me(May 2013) that if work permit expires,I had to stop working which I didnt know at all!
FYI I am aug 2012 applicant waiting for my passport to return back from CIC.
But I didnt get any questions further from CIC about these 2 months of working w/o authorization since I had met 2 yrs of work experience even before this period in 2011.
So best way is to stop working if work permit expires and apply for visitor visa or just stay calm to get the renewed WP.
I am not so sure of what to suggest but this is what I think would be good..

OHKIDDA

Star Member
Sep 1, 2012
vampiredeepu said:
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance as I am sure I will get the best suggestions from this website.

I am currently working as an RN in Ontario. My employer has applied for LMO for me. This is the first time they are applying for an LMO and I heard from many that it takes longer time for approval if the employer is applying for the first time. I have my work permit expiring by end of August. As on Aug 02, its been six weeks since they have applied for the LMO. How long would it take from here for approval . I am afraid if it will be rejected for some reason or get delayed as the CIC employees are on strike. Is their any option for me to extend my stay . I heard about something called extending the stay for another 3 months on "Implied Status". Does this apply in my case ? Am I eligible to apply for this extension ? If yes, what all documents do I need for that ? Please please please help me.... I am really tensed and nervous..
1. Is your work permit already expired? If it has, and you have not applied for a new work permit, then you have to change your status as a visitor.
2. If you work permit has not yet expired, print out the email from HRSDC that your employer would have received with your file number. This email does not mean you are approved or rejected. It just confirms that they have your application. It will have your file number on it. (If eventually you are approved for an LMO, you will received what they call a "Confirmation". So don't get confused).

3. Print out this initial email from HRSDC with your file number, and apply for a new work permit ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE A MAXIMUM OF TWO WEEKS LEFT ON THE VALIDITY (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob152A.asp). Scroll down to "Additional details regarding concurrent processing" and read the second paragraph. This is called concurrent processing. You will have implied status as long you do not change anything about your current work, e.g., employer, role, etc...for a maximum of 2 months. If CIC has not received update on your LMO by those 2 months, then you will be refused.