NOC Code......
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
N/A
Hi ,
I have been exploring into the express entry for a bit and the only way I get enough points (actually more than enough, 600) is by getting a valid job offer. My confusion lies in the whole LMIA exempt thing, what makes a job LMIA exempt?
I read something that said that if you are with the same employer for 1 year,full time, you are not required to obtain LMIA. Is that accurate or am I perceiving things wrong?

A bit about my background, 2 yr college diploma, 21, Assistant Store Manager at a retail store, PGWP. Will be working in the same position full time for 1 year in August.

Thank for your time, I appreciate it, and look forward to seeing your replies.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi ,
I have been exploring into the express entry for a bit and the only way I get enough points (actually more than enough, 600) is by getting a valid job offer. My confusion lies in the whole LMIA exempt thing, what makes a job LMIA exempt?
I read something that said that if you are with the same employer for 1 year,full time, you are not required to obtain LMIA. Is that accurate or am I perceiving things wrong?

A bit about my background, 2 yr college diploma, 21, Assistant Store Manager at a retail store, PGWP. Will be working in the same position full time for 1 year in August.

Thank for your time, I appreciate it, and look forward to seeing your replies.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=695&top=29
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment/lmia-exempt.html

Because you are on an OPEN work permit, with no named employer on it, I believe that you require an LMIA.

Last edited:
Reactions: jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi ,

That is true for certain LMIA-exempt permit holders - but they are closed permits (e.g. Intra-company transfer). The language is not particularly clear - they state something like "employer named on the work permit " - this essentially means it does not apply to open work permits, because you have no employer named on the permit.

So unfortunately, if you are on a PGWP, you would need to get an LMIA to be eligible for the "job offer" points.