+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Work permit and sponsoring common law partner

zeroism

Jun 7, 2017
I have a LMIA and work permit with my job in Canada (i'm an australian citizen). My girlfriend has been living with me in Canada while on her working holiday visa.
Her visa will be expiring and I want to know if I will be able to sponsor her so that she can stay in Canada and get a work permit?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I have a LMIA and work permit with my job in Canada (i'm an australian citizen). My girlfriend has been living with me in Canada while on her working holiday visa.
Her visa will be expiring and I want to know if I will be able to sponsor her so that she can stay in Canada and get a work permit?
You have to be a Canadian citizen or Canadian PR to sponsor

zeroism

Jun 7, 2017
Okay so without being a citizen or having PR there would be no other way for her to stay in Canada with me, unless she was able to get her own visa?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Okay so without being a citizen or having PR there would be no other way for her to stay in Canada with me, unless she was able to get her own visa?
She can stay as a visitor but cannot work, or investigate how to qualify independently through an economic stream. If her visa is expiring soon you're probably going to want to apply for the visitor so you're covered when it expires.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You should post your question to foreign workers section of this forum, as it has nothing to do with Family Sponsorship.

Depending on skill level of your job she may be eligible for an OWP through you as your common-law partner (if you've lived together 12 consecutive months).