+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA vs. LMO

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hello Everyone

First of all I would like to know the difference between lmo and lmia. As far as I know lmo was renamed as lmia in June 2014. From now onwards lmo is obsolete? Am I right?

Lmia is almost the same with exceptions of some changes. I have a question about those changes. As previously with lmo if your post grad work permit is about to expire your employer do not need the demonstrate the efforts to hire the canadian or pr card holder. Does the same thing still valid with lmia?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - LMIAs are the new versions of LMOs.

The PGWP rules were recently changed. Your employer now needs to show recruitment efforts.

aika1987

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am little bit confused - what with old LMO applications, submitted prior june 20th? are they still in process?

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
aika1987 said:
I am little bit confused - what with old LMO applications, submitted prior june 20th? are they still in process?
From what I've read, applications made before June 20th that fall within the low wage category will be returned and refunded. Employers may then reapply under the new system if they desire

aika1987

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Butterfly Chemist! So if the median wage in Alberta is 24,23 and on my application is 25 I am ok. Do I understand correct?

Anah

Jul 12, 2013
aika1987 said:
Thank you Butterfly Chemist! So if the median wage in Alberta is 24,23 and on my application is 25 I am ok. Do I understand correct?

Defintely you are eligible... Because your rate is above the median wage in Alberta..

By the way, do you have idea how long is the processing of new LMIA applications? Including the afvertisement?

Scarlett_R

Star Member
Nov 20, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville to Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
21-12-2013
Med's Done....
Mailed together with aplication
Anah said:
By the way, do you have idea how long is the processing of new LMIA applications? Including the afvertisement?
I have the same question, does anybody know how long is it taking to get a LMIA?

I still haven't heard of anyone going through the new process...

Please share what the process is like.

Thanks!

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Scarlett_R said:
I have the same question, does anybody know how long is it taking to get a LMIA?

I still haven't heard of anyone going through the new process...

Please share what the process is like.

Thanks!
The new process I suspect will take just as long as the LMO process. Its essentially the same thing just with a bit more scrutiny of the employer. I suspect that processing times might fall in a bit as there will likely be fewer applications due to employers not wanting to pay the new $1000 fee and go through the hassle. Furthermore companies that usually hire foreign workers will likely be unable to because of the cap on how many foreign workers you can have. I think these factors will see lead to quicker processing due to fewer applications. If they can provide ten day processing for the special cases (high wage, short term jobs etc) then I suspect actually processing can take ten days or less because the specifically stated that the scrutiny will be the same for these applications but that they will be processed ahead of regular applications.

It hasn't been a month since the LMIA process was introduced so I suspect is too soon for people to share timelines and experience. We'll just have to wait a little bit longer for that.

Scarlett_R

Star Member
Nov 20, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville to Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
21-12-2013
Med's Done....
Mailed together with aplication
Thank you for your reply ButterflyChemist :)

Yuekel

Jun 12, 2013
Here is my story, I mailed my application on June 24th, 2014 through Canada post Express , when I tracking it, it didn't show successfully delivery , I called Canada post for several times, they were saying the item has been delivered, and the reason is since a large volume mails sending to the PO box , specially to the government PO box, the driver cannot scan each single mail , and that is why I cannot see through online tracking system saying the item has been successfully delivered. I called Service Canada today, see if my file has been in the system , but they said it didn't show anything in their system , asked me to try to call next week. Is there anyone else has the same problem like I do ? just wondering ...

aika1987

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NOC: 7293
Province: AB
LMO submitted: mid february
Result: july 17th rejected

we do not know what is the reason, we just received this inforamtion from company (we are not now in Canada). Just want to add that the company many times successfully passed the whole LMO proces, so it is something related to new regulations.
and we still have second application
NOC: 7283
Province: AB
LMO submitted: mid april
Result: still waiting...
but I have bad feeling....