+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA to Open work Permit

vj171081

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Hi,

I am currently on LMIA came in Jan 2020. Due to COVID I could loose my job in coming days. Can I apply for an open work permit now? I already have a valid LMIA though, as I still have the job. NOC code category jobs 0.

Thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am currently on LMIA came in Jan 2020. Due to COVID I could loose my job in coming days. Can I apply for an open work permit now? I already have a valid LMIA though, as I still have the job. NOC code category jobs 0.

Thanks
Unfortunately you do not qualify for an open work permit based on the information you have provided. Even if you lose your job, you still won't qualify for an open work permit unless there is additional information you haven't provied (e.g. you have applied for PR).

Reactions: vj171081

vj171081

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Unfortunately you do not qualify for an open work permit based on the information you have provided. Even if you lose your job, you still won't qualify for an open work permit unless there is additional information you haven't provied (e.g. you have applied for PR).
Hi, I need a little more clarity. What is the solution in this scenario for me? Incase if I loose the job and company cancels LMIA. What will allow me to continue to work in Canada? If I had applied for PR will that help to get me work permit for the time? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I need a little more clarity. What is the solution in this scenario for me? Incase if I loose the job and company cancels LMIA. What will allow me to continue to work in Canada? If I had applied for PR will that help to get me work permit for the time? Thanks.
If you want to continue working in Canada, you would have to find a new employer in Canada who is willing to give you a job offer and obtain an approved LMIA. Once the new LMIA is approved, you would then be able to apply for a new closed work permit. Once the new work permit is approved, you would be able to start working for your new employer.

Yes - applying for PR could help. However simply submitting an Express Entry profile would not be enough. You would need to receive ITA through Express Entry and submit your complete application before you would qualify to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit. Alternatively, you would need to secure a nomination through one of the PNP immigration programs from a province.

Eduardo F

Aug 21, 2019
Hi,

Thanks
Hi, that is the same for me. The company says that probably will fire me and as I was hired by LMIA I have to leave Canada. What I'm doing is asking to the MPs about that question, maybe if a great number of people asking about the same thing can change the situation. I did the same to CBC news and Global News TV, maybe someone can ask to the Prime Minister.
We have to try. Lets go!!

vj171081

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Hi, that is the same for me. The company says that probably will fire me and as I was hired by LMIA I have to leave Canada. What I'm doing is asking to the MPs about that question, maybe if a great number of people asking about the same thing can change the situation. I did the same to CBC news and Global News TV, maybe someone can ask to the Prime Minister.
You dont have to leave Canada until the validity of visa but you wont be allowed to work. As per my knowledge. Government should do something for safety of people who are here on LMIA.

Eduardo F

Aug 21, 2019
You dont have to leave Canada until the validity of visa but you wont be allowed to work. As per my knowledge. Government should do something for safety of people who are here on LMIA.
Thanks to reply me
The company owner says that they have to ensure that me and my family leave Canada if they end the contract. I think they are afraid of me trying to stay here and do something wrong and blame them.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks to reply me
The company owner says that they have to ensure that me and my family leave Canada if they end the contract. I think they are afraid of me trying to stay here and do something wrong and blame them.
This is not true.

You can legally remain in Canada as long as the work permit is valid. There is no requirement for you to leave. Your employer cannot force you to leave.

However if you want to work for a different employer, you need a new LMIA and a new work permit.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It will be political suicide for the government, if the government gives open work permits to temporary foreign workers , when there’s over 1.5 million citizens/PR applying for unemployment benefits. You are aware that if a job position is posted that citizens/pr get the first crack at it .Do a bit of research on what happened back in 2012

leite13

Jan 23, 2020
It will be political suicide for the government, if the government gives open work permits to temporary foreign workers , when there’s over 1.5 million citizens/PR applying for unemployment benefits. You are aware that if a job position is posted that citizens/pr get the first crack at it .Do a bit of research on what happened back in 2012
I desagree with you, should be some kind of open work permit with the same job position.

leite13

Jan 23, 2020
With millions of Canadian citizens and PRs out of work, IRCC is not going to give out OWPs.
Can be billions Citizens and Prs, if this people don't have the necessary skills, what is the point, the jobs is out there even if the virus outside, i found a LMIA last week and I came 3 months ago with another LMIA, is plenty of jobs for the right person.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can be billions Citizens and Prs, if this people don't have the necessary skills, what is the point, the jobs is out there even if the virus outside, i found a LMIA last week and I came 3 months ago with another LMIA, is plenty of jobs for the right person.
We aren't talking about LMIAs and closed work permits. IRCC isn't going to hand out OWPs to foreigners with millions of Canadians out of work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
A LMIA is not a open work permit
LMIA/Closed = Restricted to one employer
Open = Can work for ANY employer