+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Processing & Soon to be expired PGWP

Hoangpham3348

Dec 13, 2023
Hi all,

I am on a PGWP that expires in February 2024 and currently have no visa for travel. I am currently working in a company that is willing to sponsor me through LMIA, but the deal is that I am responsible for all the paperwork and hire the lawyer to work this out myself. My LMIA files take much much longer than I expected. I submitted all the supporting documents to the lawyers in March.
In the middle of June, the lawyer sent me the Certificate of Registration. She mentioned the company needed this certificate to post ad on Job bank and it took roughly 3 months.

After the job posting for 1 month, I had to change the job posting ads as the employer was not willing to pay over $30 an hour for an Accountant position, so we had to change the job posting to Accounting Technician which is $25.

In October, my lawyer submitted the LMIA application and advised me that they were waiting to pay for the fee. December 13, my lawyer sent me the LMIA #. They also said that they will apply for the work permit extension if there is no update before Feb 05, 2023 to get me into implied status for around 4 months.
Meanwhile, they submitted my passport for a Visitor visa by paper and it arrived at the office on November 23. They said this to help me maintain my status and I will be able to travel regardless of what will happen to my file.

On the Employee Portal user guide, they mentioned "You won’t receive an email or approval letter to give to the temporary worker. Instead, you must give the offer of employment number to the temporary worker. The worker needs this number to submit their work permit application.".
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/partners-service-providers/employer-portal/user-guide.html

I am wondering if the 7-digit LMIA # the lawyer gave me is the same as the offer of employment and is it enough to submit for the new WP. Also anyone has a weird case like this where it take almost a year.

Ivydyanoria

Jan 26, 2021
Hello i just read your case and wondering what is your status now, im in the same page would like to know how long it will take for you to get the new work permit?