+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA July 2020

dkincanada

Jul 8, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to apply for LMIA within Canada. I am currently with the same employer from last 2 years. I have a few questions as follows:

1.) I heard if we have PGWP it is optional to apply for closed LMIA work permit. If let say i apply for LMIA only (not closed work permit) and keep working on PGWP, then can i work part time with any other employer along with working full time with LMIA employer.

2.) Related to 1st question, initially i have choose to not apply for closed permit and have obtained LMIA on PGWP. later if i wish, can i apply for closed work permit without having to reapply for LMIA.

3.) Anyone applied for LMIA after March 2020 and got approved? Can you please share your timeline.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"1.) I heard if we have PGWP it is optional to apply for closed LMIA work permit. If let say i apply for LMIA only (not closed work permit) and keep working on PGWP, then can i work part time with any other employer along with working full time with LMIA employer."

Yes, that's true. Except that every LMIA is for an LMIA only. The closed work permit is what you apply for after receiving a positive LMIA. They don't come together. You would eventually have to apply for a closed WP before your current PGWP and the LMIA expire. to maintain your status in Canada.

"2.) Related to 1st question, initially i have choose to not apply for closed permit and have obtained LMIA on PGWP. later if i wish, can i apply for closed work permit without having to reapply for LMIA."
What does "obtained LMIA on PGWP." mean? You can apply for a work permit as long as the LMIA is still valid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to apply for LMIA within Canada. I am currently with the same employer from last 2 years. I have a few questions as follows:

1.) I heard if we have PGWP it is optional to apply for closed LMIA work permit. If let say i apply for LMIA only (not closed work permit) and keep working on PGWP, then can i work part time with any other employer along with working full time with LMIA employer.

2.) Related to 1st question, initially i have choose to not apply for closed permit and have obtained LMIA on PGWP. later if i wish, can i apply for closed work permit without having to reapply for LMIA.

3.) Anyone applied for LMIA after March 2020 and got approved? Can you please share your timeline.
PGWP is an open work permit. You can work foe 2 employers if you want on the PGWP