+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA for commision based job - Life insurance Agent

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
Hi everyone,
I got a job as a Insurance Sales Agent at American Income Life insurance in London, ON. This is a commission based job plus some bonuses. I have to be at office for 2 days and rest of the days I will me meeting clients at there places.
Am I elligle to get LMIA for this job? This is a contract job. Will this expericne count for PR? Thank you so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Generally speaking it's difficult to obtain LMIAs for sales jobs. The company is going to have to advertise the job for a month (before applying for an LMIA) and prove that no Canadian could be found for the role. I think this bit is going to be quite difficult to prove - but the can certainly try. The experience will count towards Express Entry but may not count towards CEC (depending on how you are paid and if this ends up classifying you as self employed). However I would say that's secondary. The first issue is whether the employer will be successful in obtaining an approved LMIA. End to end (including advertising time), expect the process to take 4-6 months.

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
Thank you, dear Scylla, for your time.
Yes, the job will be classified as self-employed. But they gonna give me t4 form at the end of the year and they will not deduct any taxes from my commission. I will be responsible for taking care of the taxes.
My work-permit is gonna expire in 1 week. I already have applied for work permit extension one month ago. I filed PR by EE in May end. I was eligible for CEC and FSW. Should I inform CIC if I join this new job (as a agent) and continue the present job as a part-time. Thanks again!

Qpow779

Apr 26, 2018
Hi, i am trying to apply for the same company as you are through LMIA and was wondering how it turned out for you?

thuluong

Nov 1, 2018
Hi dsingh, I am working as Insurance broker now, my job is commission based too. I am very confused whether this job is qualified for Express Entry. If you already applied for EE may you update this information with me? Thank you!

Vevesmiranda

Jul 24, 2017
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
Hi. I am about to accept a job offer with that company as well. I am on a pgwp and want to know if this job would extend my husband work permit. Thank you.

Akashtoronto

Feb 26, 2020
Hi dsingh, I am working as Insurance broker now, my job is commission based too. I am very confused whether this job is qualified for Express Entry. If you already applied for EE may you update this information with me? Thank you!
I'm planning to work as a life insurance broker too. Fully commission and bonus job. Fulltime. Is it safer to work these kind of jobs? Or should i work for salary? Please help.

Radky

Dec 15, 2019
Hi everyone,
I got a job as a Insurance Sales Agent at American Income Life insurance in London, ON. This is a commission based job plus some bonuses. I have to be at office for 2 days and rest of the days I will me meeting clients at there places.
Am I elligle to get LMIA for this job? This is a contract job. Will this expericne count for PR? Thank you so much.

Radky

Dec 15, 2019
Hi everyone,
Did u get the LMIA