NA
Passport Req..
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
raihan101eee said:
I would like to add a vital point here. I had a chat with my HR regarding this LMIA. They told me that its completely upto me. They can go for LMIA. But if negative response is received then they have to sack me from the job. Cause negative response means the employer can not hire that person or retain that person......
It does not make sense, you have a LMIA-exempt work permit that you can work with! Make sure you're not given wrong information.

ananda.nyn

Mar 18, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I would like your opinion on my case. I am sure there would be many like me. This is regarding LMIA for CEC.

I did my masters in electrical engineering in Calgary. My post graduate work permit (3 years) expires in february 2017. I found a job in BC and started working from September 2014. To apply for PR, I have the following options

1) Get a Provincial nomination (problematic since i studied in Alberta and working in British Columbia)
2) Wait till September 2015, complete one year canadian experience and apply directly in express entry, CEC category.

As far as I looked on the surface of the CIC website, Post graduate work permit holders applying for CEC category are exempt from LMIA. But recently I have been hearing from other friends that LMIA is needed.

My company is a very small engineering company with 13 people. I am not sure if they will give me an LMIA (haven't asked them and I most probably will not get). I am doing a NOC code A job, with a masters degree from a canadian public university. After one year canadian experience with a permanent job, DO I STILL NEED AN LMIA? Please guide me through..

Your inputs and suggestions are appreciable!!

farnaws

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

Ananda, your situation is just exactly as same as me. I graduated from Alberta and started working in BC(Vancouver). Can we chat somewhere?

Thanks

BankingExpressE

Feb 2, 2015
ananda.nyn said:
Hello Everyone,

I would like your opinion on my case. I am sure there would be many like me. This is regarding LMIA for CEC.

I did my masters in electrical engineering in Calgary. My post graduate work permit (3 years) expires in february 2017. I found a job in BC and started working from September 2014. To apply for PR, I have the following options

1) Get a Provincial nomination (problematic since i studied in Alberta and working in British Columbia)
2) Wait till September 2015, complete one year canadian experience and apply directly in express entry, CEC category.

As far as I looked on the surface of the CIC website, Post graduate work permit holders applying for CEC category are exempt from LMIA. But recently I have been hearing from other friends that LMIA is needed.

My company is a very small engineering company with 13 people. I am not sure if they will give me an LMIA (haven't asked them and I most probably will not get). I am doing a NOC code A job, with a masters degree from a canadian public university. After one year canadian experience with a permanent job, DO I STILL NEED AN LMIA? Please guide me through..

Your inputs and suggestions are appreciable!!
No, you don't need LMIA to apply under EE. The only downside is that you don't get the additional 600 points that come with it. Don't take this as gospel, but I would imagine that if you enter the pool in September, you should have plenty of time to get an ITA before your work permit expires.

junewilkie

Dec 18, 2013
Hi. Well lije the rest of you guys. My empkoyer went for the lmia. It was refused based on my employers previous years accounts being negative. However they have asked for it to be relooked at as the negative equity was due to writting off assetts and had they not written them off they would have clearly been in profit. ESDC are not interested. They will deny lmia for any reason possible. My employer is multi million pound and i earn high wages. Its wrong. We got these jobs fair and square with our open work permits. The government then changes the guide lines and we are screwed. No justice just have to hope. But i am going to start planning my return to the UK soon as this system is failing CEC candidates with no lmia.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Isn't BC-PNP-EE student stream only requires Canadian degree? (Not BC degree) So if you have a job in BC (subject for approval tho), you should be OK for BCPNP-EE and get the 600 points.

So far, BC-PNP is the best for students among all options for the 600 points.

aaro27

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29/01/2016
marcus66502 said:
It's one thing to get your employer to agree to apply for LMIA. It's quite another thing to actually get LMIA approved by the government.

Your employer will have to advertise a lot for YOUR position and as soon as there's even one Canadian applicant for it, your chances of getting LMIA approved take a big hit toward zero. ESDC regularly denies LMIA applications by telling employers to hire the Canadian applicant and train him/her on the job.

Just because your employer agreed to file some paperwork for LMIA doesn't mean you're gonna get LMIA.

And another point, I see a few people in here proudly announcing that they've successfully convinced their employer to go for LMIA when in reality all they've got is a word of mouth by their employer to look into it. Whoever you spoke to may have agreed to go for LMIA but there's a good chance s/he has no idea what's involved in the LMIA process. Employers are going to be in for a shock when they find out they may have agreed to something they didn't really understand thoroughly, and they may very well go back on their word.

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.
yup yup... I absolutely agree with you...!!!

aaro27

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29/01/2016
Nightrocker said:
Exactly! I just spoke with my HR Manager and they said there is no way we can get LMIA for your position. She said if I just walk in to any university, I can find out 100s of candidates who can be eligible for your job. She said we have spoke to our immigration lawyer and they suggested that the scores will eventually drop by may/june because there aren't that many people with LMIAs. She suggested that try to improve your score by attempting IELTS and getting your ECAs done. The lawyer also advised to not to panic as there are thousands of candidates in the same situation in mine.
my lawyer suggested the same thing that the score will plummet by may/ june...but with such a gap in the fourth and fifth draw I can barely imagine the situation

aaro27

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29/01/2016
raihan101eee said:
I would like to add a vital point here. I had a chat with my HR regarding this LMIA. They told me that its completely upto me. They can go for LMIA. But if negative response is received then they have to sack me from the job. Cause negative response means the employer can not hire that person or retain that person......
secondly, if our employer finds a Canadian or PR card holder for our position , then they would have to fire us...

AAA2133

Dec 17, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2015
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
28-09-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-09-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
aaro27 said:
secondly, if our employer finds a Canadian or PR card holder for our position , then they would have to fire us...
It's not true, your employer just can get an LMIA. You still have a valid work permit to work on.

aaro27

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29/01/2016
AAA2133 said:
It's not true, your employer just can get an LMIA. You still have a valid work permit to work on.
but if they find someone who can do my job , then why would they need me?
also LMIA is making sure all the Canadians get the job

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
aaro27 said:
@raihan101eee @aaro27

Wrong. If your employer finds a Canadian/PR for the job, they can still deny their job application and you can still work for your employer (given you have the OWP until expire). But ESDC will find out that and gives you negative LMIA, All that work for it will be in vain.

Let's not forget your OWP entitles you to work for anyone in Canada without LMIA until it expires.

aaro27

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29/01/2016
mf4361 said:
@ raihan101eee @ aaro27

Wrong. If your employer finds a Canadian/PR for the job, they can still deny their job application and you can still work for your employer (given you have the OWP until expire). But ESDC will find out that and gives you negative LMIA, All that work for it will be in vain.

Let's not forget your OWP entitles you to work for anyone in Canada without LMIA until it expires.
I should better look into it again