+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Expiry date - Express Entry

c0109

Star Member
Jul 15, 2014
rakikira said:
Your LMO expiry date is Nov 2016. There is no doubt about this. I too have LMO until May 2016. You will get 600 points for it as well. The 6 months expiry is the opinion given on your LMO, before that you should apply for WP. Opinion expiry date has nothing to do with your LMO Expiry as long as you applied for WP before that.
Thank you for the comments. I think you are right.
Below thread ran on the same topic

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/lima-lmo-question-for-ee-t262967.0.html

But there is a field under Express Entry - "LMIA expiry date". What should we give in here? Work permit expiry or LMIA Opinion Expiry Date?

Ressie Timbang

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
Hi c0109..it is noted on my LMO that it is valid for 2 years and that really surprised me too....for all I know LMO valid only for 6 months and I got it before the moratorium implemented.. :)

Xfactor

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I also want to understand this as it seems I had the incorrect info all along. I am on a two year WP. I was issued a LMO in Dec 2013 but my employer told me that my LMO expired in April 2014. I was of the view that I cannot use this LMO on my EE profile because she said it is expired and so I thought that she will need to apply for a new one for me. Are you guys saying that the one I was issued though" expired" can still be used to get 600 points because my WP does not expire until Dec 2105?

MarCro

Feb 2, 2015
Xfactor said:
Hi, I also want to understand this as it seems I had the incorrect info all along. I am on a two year WP. I was issued a LMO in Dec 2013 but my employer told me that my LMO expired in April 2014. I was of the view that I cannot use this LMO on my EE profile because she said it is expired and so I thought that she will need to apply for a new one for me. Are you guys saying that the one I was issued though" expired" can still be used to get 600 points because my WP does not expire until Dec 2105?
"If recruiting within Canada

If you have a positive LMIA for an employee holding a temporary work permit to whom you wish to extend a permanent job offer, the LMIA may still be valid under Express Entry".

Xfactor

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarCro said:
"If recruiting within Canada

If you have a positive LMIA for an employee holding a temporary work permit to whom you wish to extend a permanent job offer, the LMIA may still be valid under Express Entry".
That is great news. Thank you.

Haniel

Feb 21, 2015
rakikira said:
Your LMO expiry date is Nov 2016. There is no doubt about this. I too have LMO until May 2016. You will get 600 points for it as well. The 6 months expiry is the opinion given on your LMO, before that you should apply for WP. Opinion expiry date has nothing to do with your LMO Expiry as long as you applied for WP before that.
Hi. I am currently working for employer and have high-skilled position. But I can not expect that my employer will apply for LMIA but I have opportunity to gain it from another employer. My question is if is it possible? Could I work for my current employer while another employer will apply for LMIA? I only need LMIA supporting permanent residency=job offer because my work permit is valid till May 2016 so I do not need it. (Note- I have open work permit so before I did not need LMIA). I only need positive LMIA with job offer and then apply for permanent residency via Express entry. Please, could u help me? Thanks a lot. Appreciate each answer!

Haniel

Feb 21, 2015
rakikira said:
Hi. I am currently working for employer and have high-skilled position. But I can not expect that my employer will apply for LMIA but I have opportunity to gain it from another employer. My question is if is it possible? Could I work for my current employer while another employer will apply for LMIA? I only need LMIA supporting permanent residency=job offer because my work permit is valid till May 2016 so I do not need it. (Note- I have open work permit so before I did not need LMIA). I only need positive LMIA with job offer and then apply for permanent residency via Express entry. Please, could u help me? Thanks a lot. Appreciate each answer!

MarCro

Feb 2, 2015
Haniel said:
Yes buddy. As long as the new job offer is in NOC 0, A or B you are good to go.
Apparently it takes about 10 days for processing permanent job offer LMIA once submitted.

This is all stated on CIC's site so check that as well to confirm.

In the EE profile at one point it will ask you is the permanent job offer from the current employer - make sure you state NO and give all the correct info for the new employer once you get LMIA.

Good luck!

Haniel

Feb 21, 2015
MarCro said:
Yes buddy. As long as the new job offer is in NOC 0, A or B you are good to go.
Apparently it takes about 10 days for processing permanent job offer LMIA once submitted.

This is all stated on CIC's site so check that as well to confirm.

In the EE profile at one point it will ask you is the permanent job offer from the current employer - make sure you state NO and give all the correct info for the new employer once you get LMIA.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the answer! But u probably think that it will take 10 days only after the necessary process - advertising etc.? Because somebody told me that it will take about 6 months to gain positive LMIA supporting job offer. I need a few months for canadian experience and only then apply for permanent residency (Experience class). So now I do know if I should wait or to start right now since LMIA has expiration only 6 months. :(

MarCro

Feb 2, 2015
Yes, it is a longER process but once applied for PR LMIA the processing time is 10 days. I don't think its going to take 6 months. Maybe a couple.
Since it's not your current employer that will provide you with permanent job offer, the process to find new eligible employer is the same as you are not working in Canada right now and doing everything from back home.

But, at least you have an employer that is willing to go through this process for you. You will get there, don't give up!

All the best!

Haniel

Feb 21, 2015
MarCro said:
Yes, it is a longER process but once applied for PR LMIA the processing time is 10 days. I don't think its going to take 6 months. Maybe a couple.
Since it's not your current employer that will provide you with permanent job offer, the process to find new eligible employer is the same as you are not working in Canada right now and doing everything from back home.

But, at least you have an employer that is willing to go through this process for you. You will get there, don't give up!

All the best!
Thank you so much MarCro! I have a last question. Do u think that my new employer can support my permanent residency (LMIA-job offer) although I still do not have required canadian experience 1 year? I think if he can do it in advance while I am working in Canada in high skilled position? Because I want to utilize experience class but need few months to gain 1 year. I do not know if he can support my permanent residency under experience class if I still do not have 1 year of experience? Thank u so much!

rakikira

Star Member
Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haniel said:
Thank you so much MarCro! I have a last question. Do u think that my new employer can support my permanent residency (LMIA-job offer) although I still do not have required canadian experience 1 year? I think if he can do it in advance while I am working in Canada in high skilled position? Because I want to utilize experience class but need few months to gain 1 year. I do not know if he can support my permanent residency under experience class if I still do not have 1 year of experience? Thank u so much!
Hi Haniel,

You should get LMIA and apply for Work permit to be eligible for PR. Just getting positive LMIA doesnt serve the need. You should also apply for WP based on the LMIA you received, then the WP issued will have your company details and NOC details on it. Then only you will be awarded with 600 points.

You can apply for LMIA for PR even though you have WP validity till May 2016. Once you get your LMIA and WP with new employer, you should not work for your old employer. But you can count that experience towards your CEC experience, as long as the job is in NOC 0, A B. Make sure you get LMIA from New employer in one of the NOC 0, A and B. Once you have the remaining experience with your New employer then you can apply for EE under EE.

Haniel

Feb 21, 2015
rakikira said:
Hi Haniel,

You should get LMIA and apply for Work permit to be eligible for PR. Just getting positive LMIA doesnt serve the need. You should also apply for WP based on the LMIA you received, then the WP issued will have your company details and NOC details on it. Then only you will be awarded with 600 points.

You can apply for LMIA for PR even though you have WP validity till May 2016. Once you get your LMIA and WP with new employer, you should not work for your old employer. But you can count that experience towards your CEC experience, as long as the job is in NOC 0, A B. Make sure you get LMIA from New employer in one of the NOC 0, A and B. Once you have the remaining experience with your New employer then you can apply for EE under EE.

Hi Rakikira,

thank you for the answer. It is still not clear to me if I can ask a new employer for LMIA supporting permanent residency (without any charge) while I do not have 1 year of Canadian experience. Is it possible in advance? Or only when I will have 1 year of Canadian experience? because I have open work permit which allows to work for everybody and only when I' ll gain permanent residency I'll work for a new employer. So I only need LMIA supporting permanent residency not work permit for a new employer (I hope so - according instructions listed on immigration pages) My plan is that the new employer will apply in advance in NOC 0, A, B and during this period I will be working for my old employer and gaining canadian experience. So when my new employer will get a positive LMIA supporting permanent residency maybe I'll have already 1 year of canadian experience and can apply through EE. I only do not know if he can do it in advance - supporting my permanent residency although I still do not have 1 year canadian experience?? Thank u.

atapiat

Star Member
Mar 10, 2015
On my LMO I have: Opinion Expiry date: Dec 2013.
I have WP that expires on Jan 2016.

What is mine LMIA expiry date for the purpose of EE application.

When I created EE profile I have put Jan 2016 as LMIA expiry date and got 600 points.
Then I have changed the info to Dec 2013 and resubmit the application and got again 600 points.

I don't know which date is correct, but if I am getting 600 points with both dates I will stick with Dec 2013 as not to make mistake.

Any opinion?

Anyone who submited their EE prfile with LMO?