+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Exempt Work permit

mayub

Oct 19, 2016
Hello Guys,

I am planning to go for an LMIA Exempt work permit and i have seen the requirements which i have pasted below:

the Offer of employment to a foreign national exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) form [IMM 5802] and proof the employer has paid the employer compliance fee;

a copy of the nomination letter from the provincial or territorial government that confirms that the foreign national has been nominated for permanent residence by the province (if the nomination is expired, a copy of the acknowledgement letter confirming that CIC received the permanent residence application while the nomination was still valid); and

a statement from the province that it has determined that all factors required for the issuance of a work permit under paragraph R204(c) as per its agreement with Canada have been met, identifying the occupation and employer information. The required factors include
that the nominated individual is urgently required by the provincial-based employer who has made the foreign national a job offer in that province or territory (it should be noted that self-employed persons are therefore not eligible for this type of work permit, given the lack of employer-employee relationship),
that the job offer is genuine and the job offer will create economic benefits or opportunities,
that the employment is not part-time or seasonal, and
that the wages and working conditions of the employment would be sufficient to attract and retain Canadian citizens.

Offer of employment can be obtained from my employer.
i have the nomination certificate and the nomination letter which i received with my OINP Masters stream package.

But what is this statement from the province.?

I have been nominated under OINP Masters stream (No job offer). I didn't get my file number yet so i can't go for BOWP. so i wanted to go with closed work permit but i don't know from where to get this statement from the province

Please help.

Thanks

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mayub said:
But what is this statement from the province.?
This is usually the letter of support issued by the nominating province.

Given the other details you mentioned in your post - unfortunately you may not be able to obtain this. See below:
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNOMINEES.html

As of June 20, 2015:
Due to Federal level changes to the issuance of temporary work permits, as of June 20th, 2015, OINP no longer has the authority to issue support letters for open work permits. This only applies to nominees in streams under the Human Capital Category and includes all streams that do not require a job offer.

OINP Masters Stream is listed as under the Human Capital Category.

.../atb

K4n4d4WS

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Edmonton AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
21-03-2016
Nomination.....
29-05-2015
AOR Received.
10-11-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Med's Done....
04-05-2016
Passport Req..
08-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
ragluf said:

Given the other details you mentioned in your post - unfortunately you may not be able to obtain this. See below:
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNOMINEES.html

As of June 20, 2015:
Due to Federal level changes to the issuance of temporary work permits, as of June 20th, 2015, OINP no longer has the authority to issue support letters for open work permits. This only applies to nominees in streams under the Human Capital Category and includes all streams that do not require a job offer.

.../atb
this information is about support letters for open work permits
you can't get a open WP with this support letter from OINP

but he can probably get a closed WP with this support letter from OINP

I would suggest contact OINP about a support letter

mayub

Oct 19, 2016
Hi

But i am not going for an open work permit. I'm going to apply for a closed work permit with my employer and in my case it is LMIA Exempted.

Also regarding the letter, i got a nomination letter with my OINP nomination certificate and in that there is a column which i have pasted below:

Temporary Work Permit:

Masters and PhD graduates nominated under the Masters or PhD streams may be
eligible to apply for a temporary work permit or an extension of an existing work permit
while their permanent residence application is being processed. A provincial nomination
does not guarantee approval of a temporary work permit application or extension.

Please include a copy of this approval letter and a copy of your Confirmation of Nomination with your application for a work permit or extension.

Is this letter the same one which is mentioned in the checklist of work permit extension as "Letter of Support".?

Thank You.
Help is greatly appreciated.

mayub

Oct 19, 2016
ragluf said:

ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNOMINEES.html

As of June 20, 2015:

.../atb

Hi

But i am not going for an open work permit. I'm going to apply for a closed work permit with my employer and in my case it is LMIA Exempted.

Also regarding the letter, i got a nomination letter with my OINP nomination certificate and in that there is a column which i have pasted below:

Temporary Work Permit:

eligible to apply for a temporary work permit or an extension of an existing work permit
while their permanent residence application is being processed. A provincial nomination
does not guarantee approval of a temporary work permit application or extension.

Please include a copy of this approval letter and a copy of your Confirmation of Nomination with your application for a work permit or extension.

Is this letter the same one which is mentioned in the checklist of work permit extension as "Letter of Support".?

Thank You.
Help is greatly appreciated.

mayub

Oct 19, 2016
K4n4d4WS said:
this information is about support letters for open work permits
you can't get a open WP with this support letter from OINP

but he can probably get a closed WP with this support letter from OINP

I would suggest contact OINP about a support letter

Yes exactly. If i get my AOR within time before my work permit expires then i would go for open work permit.

But i wanted to know about the closed work permit as this looks a better option for me in case i dont receive my AOR.

I tried contacting OINP but they are asking me to email the query and its gonna take them 15 days to reply me back and i will loose my status waiting for their reply.

mayub

Oct 19, 2016

Temporary Work Permit:

Can i attach this letter with my work permit extension application as a letter of support from the province.? since they are stating in the letter that i should include a copy od this approval letter with my application for work permit extension.

Thank You.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you get your nomination using a job offer sent by your employer?

Or your current employer does not have anything to do with your nomination?

mayub

Oct 19, 2016
ragluf said:
Did you get your nomination using a job offer sent by your employer?

Or your current employer does not have anything to do with your nomination?
No i got my nomination under the OINP Masters Stream (No Job Offer Required). My Employer has nothing to do with my nomination as i got this nomination based on my masters study.

I got this job recently and i have my joining date in the coming week. My employer has nothing to do with my nomination.

ALIAHMED9890

Star Member
Jan 30, 2015
Help (General Inquiry) - LMIA Exempt Work permit

Good afternoon,

Hope you all are having a great day. I have a small inquiry. If anybody can assist me with this question it will be greatly appreciated. My brother in law got a job offer (NOC-B) at Nova Scotia, Sydney and will be applying for a work permit (from Bangladesh) where the employer stated that he would be LMIA exempt because of the following reasons -

1) The position was posted online, magazines for 3 months to get a local person to fill in the post but they were unable to find one (had 13 applicants and none of them were qualified)
2) The position meets the median salary for the post

Please let me know if this will make the job position LMIA exempt or not. Also I found in CIC it states that -

Review the LMIA exemption codes

The offer letter needs to have the LMIA exempt code (is this for immigration purposes only or for work permit as well)

I've chcecked his offer letter and there is no LMIA exempt code there. He will be applying for the provincial nominee so that he can obtain the supporting letter stating that he is LMIA exempt. Please let me know if the process he will be going through seems legit in order to obtain a temporary work permit.

Thanks in advance...Smiley

hyos1206

Feb 11, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
01-01-2017
Hi Mayub,

I'm in the same boat (similar). I received OINP nomination but my bowp application got rejected as I applied without AoR. I need to restore my status as a worker/visitor first so my employer submitted an offer of employment via Employer Portal to help me apply for the closed-work permit.

I need that "letter of support" to submit my work permit application, but I didn't get one as my nomination was based on my post-grad work permit (open work permit) and they don't write support letters for open work permit holders... I called OINP multiple times but wasn't able to get ahold of anyone :(

Did you have any luck?

mayub

Oct 19, 2016
Hey

No even I'm waiting for AOR. I recently got a job but I feel it's too soon to ask my employer for offer of employment. How much time does it usually takes for the employer to give us the offer of employment ? Like if I tell them today for the offer of employment then when can they give it to me. ? And regarding the letter of support one of my friend applied without the letter of support and he got his closed work permit approved. I guess that letter if support isn't necessary as the main thing is the nomination certificate and the offer of employment. But still I didn't decide what to do.

mayub

Oct 19, 2016
I too tried contacting oinp and even mailed them several times but they don't respond. And when I call them they tell me that I need to mail them the issue.

Nas_AA

Star Member
Jul 15, 2014
I have a question as well.

I currently have OWP but Its expiring in march 2017 and I am going to extend it using the work permit support letter that I got from BCPNP. So I am assuming that will be a closed work permit.

Just in case I had to leave my job in the near future, can I apply for an Open work permit using the AOR ?

I still didn't send my PR application yet, doing it in couple of days.

or should I consider waiting for AOR then extending my OWP ?

Thanks

ku123

Nov 16, 2016
I want to apply for WP-LMIA Exempt, I have AOR outside canada, I have SINP OID category having both letters "letter of support" for WP and "nomination confirmation" for PR and both of them are expired. Is it okay to apply with expired support letter? please suggest.

Offer letter is going to be Intra-company, so not sure if I should be applying for Intra-company WP or Province based WP category, I am thinking of province based category which seems better for me, because it may bit difficult to meet the "skilled" description of CIC for Intra-company.

My nomination is NOT employer specific.

Secondly when I contacted SINP for extension (later I came to know that extension is not required) they told me that they have issued me "support letter" for WP by mistake as they don't issue support letter for SINP OID program category, later agreed to support me with "Register to Recruit and Hire Foreign Workers in Saskatchewan" URL, which is again lengthy process, its like applying new Job approval application and takes lot of time. I want to know, if I can avoid below process and apply directly for WP as soon as I receive offer letter while I still meets the CIC requirements.. . As per CIC site, it says, AOR and statement saying urgently required by provincial-based employer. both them I have it...

a copy of the nomination letter from the provincial or territorial government that confirms that the foreign national has been nominated for permanent residence by the province (if the nomination is expired, a copy of the acknowledgement letter confirming that CIC received the permanent residence application while the nomination was still valid); and

that the nominated individual is urgently required by the provincial-based employer who has made the foreign national a job offer in that province or territory (it should be noted that self-employed persons are therefore not eligible for this type of work permit, given the lack of employer-employee relationship),

Please advice which way I should apply. Thank you in advance.