+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA-exempt job

scotchkgreen

Jul 20, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm applying for express entry and have an open work permit. I've been working for the same company in Canada for 2.5 years. I was wondering what I need to put in the field: Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit? (required). I selected "No" but I didn't get any CRS points for job offer. The other options that say "No-LMIA exempt" don't apply to me because my work permit is not employer specific. I'm just wondering what I should select.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I'm applying for express entry and have an open work permit. I've been working for the same company in Canada for 2.5 years. I was wondering what I need to put in the field: Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit? (required). I selected "No" but I didn't get any CRS points for job offer. The other options that say "No-LMIA exempt" don't apply to me because my work permit is not employer specific. I'm just wondering what I should select.
You have answered the LMIA question correctly.

You can only claim job offer points if your employer obtains an approved LMIA. This is why you are receiving zero points.

To get the 50 points without an LMIA, you must be on an employer specific work permit (e.g. closed work permit such as an ICT where your employer is named) and you must have worked for that employer in Canada for at least one full year.

Unfortunately in your case you hold an open work permit. So LMIA is required in order for you to get the 50 points.

scotchkgreen

Jul 20, 2020
You have answered the LMIA question correctly.

You can only claim job offer points if your employer obtains an approved LMIA. This is why you are receiving zero points.

To get the 50 points without an LMIA, you must be on an employer specific work permit (e.g. closed work permit such as an ICT where your employer is named) and you must have worked for that employer in Canada for at least one full year.

Unfortunately in your case you hold an open work permit. So LMIA is required in order for you to get the 50 points.
Thank you