+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Exempt - ICT - Job Offer

pvasishta

Jun 4, 2019
Hello All,

I am working in Canada from last two years on a closed work permit. I got deputed from my India office to here (ICT). Now, I have received a local offer letter from my company and it states that I come under LMIA exempt.
My company is processing my Work Permit extension with this job offer. I have two questions
1. Can I apply for PR and claim Job offer points?
2. Can I apply for PR parallel when my company has applied for WP and it is still in progress?

Thank you
Vasishta

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, if your job offer is LMIA exempt
2. Yes
Attention until now he did not have proper Canadian contract he was "expat". So even if it is LMIA exempt he needs to work for them for 1 year under that contract until he can claim those points.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I have to strongly disagree. It's not a question of a contract. When a work permit holder named on an LMIA exempt work permit works in Canada for that employer for a year, and then gets a job offer from that employer, he is eligible for the 50 points in Express Entry.

ramandrod

Apr 13, 2017
I have to strongly disagree. It's not a question of a contract. When a work permit holder named on an LMIA exempt work permit works in Canada for that employer for a year, and then gets a job offer from that employer, he is eligible for the 50 points in Express Entry.
Is this true? Can i claim 50 points with a LMIA exempt job offer after working for a year. Can i please see the link in the canada.ca for this specific clause?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is this true? Can i claim 50 points with a LMIA exempt job offer after working for a year. Can i please see the link in the canada.ca for this specific clause?
Only if you are on a closed work permit (e.g. ICT) with the employer named in the work permit. Your employer also must provide a letter stating they are going to continue to employ you in the job for at least a year after you become a PR.

You cannot claim the points if you are on an open work permit with no employer named (e.g. PGWP, SOWP, etc.).

Ilovemylife_tj

Apr 13, 2020
Only if you are on a closed work permit (e.g. ICT) with the employer named in the work permit. Your employer also must provide a letter stating they are going to continue to employ you in the job for at least a year after you become a PR.

You cannot claim the points if you are on an open work permit with no employer named (e.g. PGWP, SOWP, etc.).
I came to canada on a close permit with LMIA exempt and i will clock by 1 year by jan 2021 end. My employer will give me a Job offer letter stating that i will be continue employ at least 1 year after PR.
My question is few months back i got open permit (SOWP) as my wife is a student. I took this visa just to make sure stay with my wife in Canada incase i have to windup my closed permit due to COVID. So is this will make me in eligible to get the 50 points? since i am holding 2 permits?

asai

Dec 28, 2021
I came to canada on a close permit with LMIA exempt and i will clock by 1 year by jan 2021 end. My employer will give me a Job offer letter stating that i will be continue employ at least 1 year after PR.
My question is few months back i got open permit (SOWP) as my wife is a student. I took this visa just to make sure stay with my wife in Canada incase i have to windup my closed permit due to COVID. So is this will make me in eligible to get the 50 points? since i am holding 2 permits?
Dear Friend,

I am in need of your advise. I am working on a LMIA post doctoral researcher and will complete 1 year in May 2023. I have currently applied for extension of my work permit and it is in process. My professor / PI will provide me the job offer letter which states i will continue to work with them for one year after I get my PR. Could you please guide me on the letter format which would be acceptable by IRCC

Thank you