+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Employer may close business or go bankruptcy

peterpeter

Jul 13, 2020
Hi all,

Advice / experience sharing is appreciated.

My wife is currently under LMIA for 1 month, and her employer is highly impacted by COVID 19 and is planning to close business, or even go bankruptcy. A few questions here:

1) is her authorized to stay until closed work permit expires (in year 2022)?
2) if no, how long can she stay in Canada (we stay in BC)?
3) should she apply for the BCPNP now even she only has 1 month working here only?

Thank you.

Regards,
Peter

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

Advice / experience sharing is appreciated.

My wife is currently under LMIA for 1 month, and her employer is highly impacted by COVID 19 and is planning to close business, or even go bankruptcy. A few questions here:

1) is her authorized to stay until closed work permit expires (in year 2022)?
2) if no, how long can she stay in Canada (we stay in BC)?
3) should she apply for the BCPNP now even she only has 1 month working here only?

Thank you.

Regards,
Peter
1) Yes, she can stay until 2022.
2) See above.
3) I believe you need to work for at least 6 months in Canada to qualify under the BC PNP program. However I may be wrong about that.

peterpeter

Jul 13, 2020
Thanks for your reply scylla.

Just want to know how you have the answer for question #1? I searched forum and websites, it normally says if you're terminated / sacked, you're eligible to stay until close work permit expires. However, the websites / threads don't mention obviously that business closes or if employer goes bankruptcy situation. So, can we interpret under whatever "termination" (job performance, business closes down or bankruptcy...etc), all these termination are treated as the same, meaning - can stay until work permit expires?

For #3, we know it'd be in a better position to apply after working for certain months, but due to COVID 19, she doesn't know how long she can find another job which will sponsor her. So, she is thinking to apply now before her employer closes business or bankrupts.

Last but not least, except the payslips, contract, work reference letter, what documents or information we should collect or keep so that we will be in a better position to find another sponsorship or applying to BCPNP?

Thanks x 10000!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply scylla.

Just want to know how you have the answer for question #1? I searched forum and websites, it normally says if you're terminated / sacked, you're eligible to stay until close work permit expires. However, the websites / threads don't mention obviously that business closes or if employer goes bankruptcy situation. So, can we interpret under whatever "termination" (job performance, business closes down or bankruptcy...etc), all these termination are treated as the same, meaning - can stay until work permit expires?

For #3, we know it'd be in a better position to apply after working for certain months, but due to COVID 19, she doesn't know how long she can find another job which will sponsor her. So, she is thinking to apply now before her employer closes business or bankrupts.

Last but not least, except the payslips, contract, work reference letter, what documents or information we should collect or keep so that we will be in a better position to find another sponsorship or applying to BCPNP?

Thanks x 10000!
Does she actually qualify for BCPNP? Her work in BC won’t count towards BCPNP if she only worked for one month.