+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Duration of Employment

djp

Apr 24, 2015
Just received LMIA for highly skilled TFW after 10 months of very painful process - however, we think the position with the client may well have gone now.
Anyway, we are ready to apply for work and study permits, however, as well as a 6 month expiry for LMIA, Service Canada have also stated on the LMIA, that duration of employment is only 6 months. This is crazy for a 4 year advertised position - does this mean I can only obtain a work permit for 6 months? How can I leave a career in UK and put my kids to school in Canada for a 6 month posting.
Or have I got it wrong and they don't really mean 6 month employment duration. Almost lost the will to live.
Good luck to everybody else!

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
have you checked your LMIA correctly, if it still says 6months dnt wry, you can always come to canada and you have chances to extend your job or you can find more better jobs. I just wanted to give you hope, frankly speaking in first place nothing is cake walk here but if you have better plan after you come to canada, it can help you alot.

Please check your LMIA details again for more clarity.

ankursapra

Nov 14, 2012
djp said:
Just received LMIA for highly skilled TFW after 10 months of very painful process - however, we think the position with the client may well have gone now.
Anyway, we are ready to apply for work and study permits, however, as well as a 6 month expiry for LMIA, Service Canada have also stated on the LMIA, that duration of employment is only 6 months. This is crazy for a 4 year advertised position - does this mean I can only obtain a work permit for 6 months? How can I leave a career in UK and put my kids to school in Canada for a 6 month posting.
Or have I got it wrong and they don't really mean 6 month employment duration. Almost lost the will to live.
It means your LMIA is valid for 6 months.. not work permit means you need to apply for work permit before that LMIA expires...getting LMIA doesn't guarantee getting a work permit. For work permit, you need to submit all necessary documents. The work permit is usually issued for 2 years...

amelia1727

Mar 10, 2012
djp said:

What that means is LMIA is valid for 6 months - you can lodge your application with CIC within the next 6 months, if you wait until it expires then the employer has to apply for a new LMIA. Once, its already on processed the 6 months will be fixed since the new processing time for application of work permit will take place.

Upon entry in Canada, they will give you a work permit. That work permit states how long you can stay in Canada, since you are a highly skilled you are not included in the 2 years cumulative period (means you are only allowed to work in Canada maximum of 2 years).

Also, on your LMIA it states how long the employer signed for, usually they are giving 1 year right now. It is renewable though it so hard to get LMIA as of this days because of the recession in oil price.

PM me if you have question