+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Approved - Work Permit Processing Time

Lion_King_92

Dec 10, 2015
I got my LMIA approved(It took 2 months), And I've submitted my work permit application and my biometrics.

How long do I have to wait to get it processed?
They mention on their website that It should take about 3 months, But It's not clear whether this includes the LMIA processing time or not.

I spent some time searching here for similar questions/experiences, but couldn't find any.
Thanks in advance!

Danni29

Apr 30, 2015
I received by LMIA in July and submitted by work permit application on August 11th 2015 and I am currently still waiting for my work permit. It is taking quite a while for them at the moment however upon checking processing times today they are slowly moving through August applications at the moment.

Lion_King_92

Dec 10, 2015
Danni29 said:
I received by LMIA in July and submitted by work permit application on August 11th 2015 and I am currently still waiting for my work permit. It is taking quite a while for them at the moment however upon checking processing times today they are slowly moving through August applications at the moment.
Thank you for your reply.

Where can I check processing times day by day? I can't find anything like this on their website.

Danni29

Apr 30, 2015
I just check the processing times for work permit extensions on their website as that's what the cic advised me when I spoke with them recently. It does not get updated that regularly though but it's at least a guideline.

Lion_King_92

Dec 10, 2015
Danni29 said:
I just check the processing times for work permit extensions on their website as that's what the cic advised me when I spoke with them recently. It does not get updated that regularly though but it's at least a guideline.
Oh, I forget to mention that I'm not applying for an extension, It's my first time.

Does that (hopefully :D) make any difference in processing times?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
First of all this processing time line never includes LMIA - it is completely separate and not even approved by CIC. It is applied for by employer and processed by HRSDC.

The work permit processing times are listed here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

There are times listed for applications submitted INSIDE Canada (whether on paper OR on line). For the rest of the world (outside Canada visa offices) each visa office is listed separately with its separate time line.

Lion_King_92

Dec 10, 2015
fkl said:
First of all this processing time line never includes LMIA - it is completed separate and not even approved by CIC. It is applied for by employer and processed by HRSDC.
Ahh I see now, Thank you for replying.

fkl said:
There are times listed for applications submitted INSIDE Canada (whether on paper on line). For the rest of the world (outside Canada visa offices) each visa office is listed separately with its separate time line.
Actually my employer submitted my work permit application from inside Canada, but I'm not in Canada and I've submitted my biometrics through the local CIC office here, Is that case considered to be inside or outside?

Thank you again!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Lion_King_92 said:
case considered to be inside or outside?

Thank you again!
You are most welcome. It is considered outside Canada. It probably would be a lawyer or something with your employer who asked for your docs and submitted your profile.

However, processing time is of the VISA OFFICE that caters your application. By default an application is processed at the visa office which handles an applicant's current country of residence or Citizenship.

In rare cases, CIC might choose to process a case at a different visa office. But that is exception rather than the norm and there is nothing an applicant can do to enforce that.

So for a safe assumption, the processing time from the embassy of your current country of residence would apply.

ruby13

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My LMIA approved and applying work permit soon. I am outland as well. My file will go to sydney office in Australia. Plz keep us posted hows your progress going with the file..

Makeit

Star Member
Jan 11, 2011
fkl said:
First of all this processing time line never includes LMIA - it is completely separate and not even approved by CIC. It is applied for by employer and processed by HRSDC.

The work permit processing times are listed here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

There are times listed for applications submitted INSIDE Canada (whether on paper OR on line). For the rest of the world (outside Canada visa offices) each visa office is listed separately with its separate time line.
Hi there, Does this mean that there is no official webpage on which to view Dual Intent LMIA processing times?

I assumed that the Work Permit timeline applied but what you say is true, it is a different department.....is there a way to find out the current status of my employers application? Or do any of you guys have an idea of the time it takes to process dual intent LMIA?

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
2141 - Industrial Engineer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
Makeit said:
Hi there, Does this mean that there is no official webpage on which to view Dual Intent LMIA processing times?

I assumed that the Work Permit timeline applied but what you say is true, it is a different department.....is there a way to find out the current status of my employers application? Or do any of you guys have an idea of the time it takes to process dual intent LMIA?
No. Service Canada works differently from CIC. If you already have a reference number, then your consultant or employer can contact SC from time to time to check it. I'm waiting 17 weeks now. They have requested additional documents about 2 months ago, but still waiting for the interview. Please find additional information on a thread about LMIA processing times.

Luce08

Jan 6, 2016
I got my LMIA this December 2015..and i will apply for work permit by the last week of January or the beginning of february 2016..i heard that the processing of work permit took 3 months..if my LMIA expired while my work permit application is on the process, can this be affect my application?? My LMIA will expired on May 2016

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Luce08 said:
I got my LMIA this December 2015..and i will apply for work permit by the last week of January or the beginning of february 2016..i heard that the processing of work permit took 3 months..if my LMIA expired while my work permit application is on the process, can this be affect my application?? My LMIA will expired on May 2016
You only need to have a valid LMIA AT THE TIME of submission of work permit application. After that it doesn't matter when it expires. However, if your application is returned unprocessed being incomplete and you apply again and LMIA has expired by then, that's a different story and you would need a new LMIA in that case.

AA89

Dec 30, 2015
Hi Guys!

I'm a newbie here:) I am waiting for my employer's LMIA result. He applied last NOV. 2015(not sure what is the exact date) the advertisement done las Oct. 2015. Until now, I'm waiting for the result. Last update with my employer, he said, "few wrong documents but in process" emailed me last Jan.2, 2016.
I am outside Canada. I need your point of view guys based on your experiences.

When will be the possible date of the LMIA result? Btw, waitress job in Saskatchewan.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Makeit said:

Hi Makeit,

No there is none. One reason is that LMIA processing times are highly unpredictable depending upon many factors. But generally if it is a highly skilled job with a well qualified person, it is easier.

The other factor is that any queries about LMIA can only be done by employer. Employee has no access, and cannot even ask HRSDC about it. And they are notorious for providing little info to employers as well in this regard.