+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living together - does this qualify?

wanderself

Feb 18, 2017
We have been in a relationship for 26 months, 15 of them living together but not consecutively.

We want to live 12 consecutive months together now so our question:

Last September I worked in London, UK, for 1.5 months and my partner came from Canada and stayed with me. Then we traveled for two weeks in Europe together and I afterwards I stayed with her in Canada for a month. We spent xmas apart and since we have been together - 3 weeks in Spain, now in Canada and I will be here for six months. Does this time since September count as us living together? We have stayed with relatives together, no leases or bills. That would be great if it did because we have been together all this time since and that way we would only have to keep living together until this September and apply for common law then.

Thanks everyone.

canadalover4987

Nov 7, 2014
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30, 2016
AOR Received.
May 12, 2016
File Transfer...
June 14, 2017 Canada Embassy Manila
Med's Done....
April 15, 2016 Upfront Medical
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 17, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 22, 2017, Guidance Counseling Program Seminar March 3, 2017
LANDED..........
March 20, 2017
In order to apply for a common law you need to prove that you both live in one roof for atleast one year.

Now if you have no lease or bills together then try to explain it in your cover letter. A letter from your family/close friends may help. Travel history and duration so keep your boarding passes, hotel reservation/receipt of your travel together.

Start collecting receipt under both names. (Dine in receipt, movie, grocery etc)
If both of you are member of any organization, non profit, sports, yoga clases or any activity group ensure you can get a letter from them stating both of your names with same address and they've known you as couple.

Furthermore, you need to prove that your affairs are combined. (Joint bank account or creditcard, properties if any) And to top it all what hinders you to get married.

A successful application will all depends on the evidence that you have.

wait_so_long

Jul 31, 2016
The tests for common-law relationship are quite intricate, and goes beyond just living and traveling together:

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/BoaCom/references/LegJur/Documents/SpoPar05_e.pdf