+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living outside Canada for Extended period after citizenship application.

csvinay

Jan 31, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I applied for Citizenship on Feb 2nd, 2012.
My case is right now in Scarborough office since Jan 2013.

I may have to go to India on a project/business for almost 4- 5 months or more. My mom is also bit sick and I may have to be with her for some time.

Will me going to India for an extended period of time affects the citizenship application process? Or will create other complication in obtaining Citizenship?

Thanks,
Vinay.

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
at the interview, they can give you an RQ since you have been out of country , the reason being they may have doubt that you have no intension of living in Canada after getting your citizenship, also they may give you RQ before the test as well..if you have lot of travel in the timeframe for which you applied..for mother they have super visa started so you can get your mother here to take care of her..

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
123sMike said:
at the interview, they can give you an RQ since you have been out of country , the reason being they may have doubt that you have no intension of living in Canada after getting your citizenship, also they may give you RQ before the test as well..if you have lot of travel in the timeframe for which you applied..for mother they have super visa started so you can get your mother here to take care of her..
RQ is not often triggered by leaving Canada after applying. I have heard from this forum that even those not leaving Canada get RQed. I also know from this forum that some do get their citizenship even though they left Canada (for certain period of time) after applying! but of course they had to meet all the residency requirements. You have to make sure someone is checking your mail for you while away, in case you get invited to the test or just for general mailing stuff from CIC. I would also suggest to call CIC to let them know that you will be away for a while. There are more experienced people in this forum and hope they can help you with better response to your situation.