+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in US - how to include daughter who is American/Canadian on forms?

seren8

Feb 17, 2011
Hello,

My wife is Canadian, and I am American. She is sponsoring me under the Family Class. We're nearly finished with the forms, but have a few questions regarding our daughter and also whether my wife should be counted as my family member or purely as my sponsor:

PART 1 (Sponsor - my wife)

FORM IMM 1344A

Question 4 - My wife and I have a daughter. She was born in the U.S. but we also got Canadian citizenship for her. Does our daughter need to be listed in this question since she's already a Canadian citizen?

FORM IMM 5481

Question 5/6 - Related to the above inquiry, where should our daughter be counted here? Should 5A just have a 1 (me), and then have 6B be a 1 (for our daughter)? Or should both my daughter and I be counted in 5A?

PART 2 (Immigrant - me)

FORM IMM 0008

Details of Family Members - I don't need to include my wife or daughter on this, correct?

FORM IMM 0008 Schedule 1

Only I need to fill this out (my wife doesn't need one), correct?

GENERAL

* Since it's a family class sponsorship, it's fine if my wife doesn't have any income, correct? I am the sole breadwinner, and will be getting a job in Canada once I have the permanent residency.

Thank you very much for your help!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
seren8 said:
My wife is Canadian, and I am American. She is sponsoring me under the Family Class. We're nearly finished with the forms, but have a few questions regarding our daughter and also whether my wife should be counted as my family member or purely as my sponsor:

PART 1 (Sponsor - my wife)

FORM IMM 1344A

Question 4 - My wife and I have a daughter. She was born in the U.S. but we also got Canadian citizenship for her. Does our daughter need to be listed in this question since she's already a Canadian citizen?
No, your Canadian citizen daughter is not listed in Form IMM1344A. She is not being sponsored for permanent residence as she is already a Canadian citizen. Only you are listed - and any of your children (if applicable) from a previous relationship.
seren8 said:
FORM IMM 5481

Question 5/6 - Related to the above inquiry, where should our daughter be counted here? Should 5A just have a 1 (me), and then have 6B be a 1 (for our daughter)? Or should both my daughter and I be counted in 5A?
Your wife (sponsor) is counted in #4 (already filled in). You are counted in #5 (plus, as I said before, any of your children from a previous relationship - if applicable). Your Canadian citizen daughter is counted in #6B
seren8 said:
PART 2 (Immigrant - me)

FORM IMM 0008

Details of Family Members - I don't need to include my wife or daughter on this, correct?
Right
seren8 said:
FORM IMM 0008 Schedule 1

Only I need to fill this out (my wife doesn't need one), correct?
Right
seren8 said:
GENERAL

* Since it's a family class sponsorship, it's fine if my wife doesn't have any income, correct? I am the sole breadwinner, and will be getting a job in Canada once I have the permanent residency.
Right, there are no minimum income requirements for spousal sponsorships. Don't forget, though, that your wife must include with the application proof of her intent to return and re-settle in Canada. This can include copy of a job offer, acceptance at a Canadian school, rental/lease/purchase agreement for property, etc. Also, it would probably be good, if she's not working, for you to include some evidence of prospects for employment, or letters of support from family members in Canada who are willing to provide essentials until you can get settled. Immigration Canada worries a lot about families having to collect social assistance when they come to Canada without means of support.

Also, you didn't ask about Form IMM5406 - Additional Family Info. That one usually throws people. You will include both your wife and your daughter on that form, as well as your parents and your siblings. (That doesn't mean they are coming to Canada and, no, they don't have to submit photos or do a medical examination.)

seren8

Feb 17, 2011
Thanks so much for the quick reply - that's all what I figured, but good to get some confirmation.

RobsLuv said:
Right, there are no minimum income requirements for spousal sponsorships. Don't forget, though, that your wife must include with the application proof of her intent to return and re-settle in Canada. This can include copy of a job offer, acceptance at a Canadian school, rental/lease/purchase agreement for property, etc. Also, it would probably be good, if she's not working, for you to include some evidence of prospects for employment, or letters of support from family members in Canada who are willing to provide essentials until you can get settled. Immigration Canada worries a lot about families having to collect social assistance when they come to Canada without means of support.
When we first move there, we'll just live with my wife's brother in his house, until we find something else. We also won't move up there until I get a job (unless the paperwork gets delayed, and they have to move up a little early to be there in time for the school year). We have a letter from her brother stating that we can stay with him, and also a letter from her sister who's there stating that she will help us out as needed. Does that seem like enough? I don't have a job offer yet or anything - feels slightly fruitless to look until we're closer to the approval, so I'm not sure what else to include.

RobsLuv said:
Also, you didn't ask about Form IMM5406 - Additional Family Info. That one usually throws people. You will include both your wife and your daughter on that form, as well as your parents and your siblings. (That doesn't mean they are coming to Canada and, no, they don't have to submit photos or do a medical examination.)
I didn't ask about that one mostly because I forgot to, but your answer is exactly what I need. I didn't really understand why I have to include them since they're not coming, but good to know I do need to.

Thanks again.