+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in the US illegally for 12 years

BCid

Jun 13, 2018
Hello,
This is my story, I came and stayed in the US illegally for 12 years. I have never committed any crimes but only one traffic ticket for driving without a drivers license. When I first tried to come to the US I got caught in the border by border patrol agents and was taken to a detention center. While I was in there I was fingerprinted and returned back to MX, but the problem is that when I got my fingerprints taken I was told by another person to give another name, so I did. I know it was wrong, and there's no excuse to that, but I was very scared and ignorant at the time so I did what I did. A year later, I tried coming to the US again, but this time I made it through. Since then I have been living in the US illegally, living under the shadows, with my real name, and in a very quiet way. Now, I'm married, my wife is a US citizen, she is a skilled worker, according to the Canadian standards, and we are thinking to move to Canada. Based on my story, is there any way that I could be eligible to move there? If so, what are the options?
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
This is my story, I came and stayed in the US illegally for 12 years. I have never committed any crimes but only one traffic ticket for driving without a drivers license. When I first tried to come to the US I got caught in the border by border patrol agents and was taken to a detention center. While I was in there I was fingerprinted and returned back to MX, but the problem is that when I got my fingerprints taken I was told by another person to give another name, so I did. I know it was wrong, and there's no excuse to that, but I was very scared and ignorant at the time so I did what I did. A year later, I tried coming to the US again, but this time I made it through. Since then I have been living in the US illegally, living under the shadows, with my real name, and in a very quiet way. Now, I'm married, my wife is a US citizen, she is a skilled worker, according to the Canadian standards, and we are thinking to move to Canada. Based on my story, is there any way that I could be eligible to move there? If so, what are the options?
Thanks!
The only option is to apply to immigrate through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry. Any sort of temporary visa (visitor, work, study) will not be approved due to your status in the US. As long as you are 100% honest in your immigration (PR) application about your history in the US, approval won't be an issue.

I would recommend that you start by calculating how many points your spouse has under Express Entry. This is a points-based immigration program and right now you need to have around 460 points to be selected.

greenboymx

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
I think that due to your background, yours is a case that needs legal advice from a professional. As far as I know, it's impossible to apply within a country in which you are staying illegally, so I guess the first step should be going back to Mexico and apply from there. But, hey, it sounds like quite a case, I doubt someone from this forum could guide you properly. If I were you, I would seek legal advice first.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,
Thanks!
Your biometrics are now "in the system" and the fact that you gave a false name is exactly the reason why they collect them.
Canada will also have access to the information captured. It you give biometrics for a Canadian application, the falsehood will be discovered.