+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in different city than the CoPR

kunwarksingh

Apr 16, 2022
I just received my CoPR under PNP Nova Scotia form India. The destination city on the CoPR states Sydney, NS. Can we stay in any other city but within Nova Scotia so that we still meet our PNP obligations.

D

Deleted member 1050918

You don't have any obligations as a provincial nominee. You must only show your intent to live in your nominating province when/if asked, which means you can go wherever you want in Canada under the right circumstances (finding a better career, family reunification etc.) given that you can document and prove them. Within your nominating province, you can live in any city you like.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
You don't have any obligations as a provincial nominee. You must only show your intent to live in your nominating province when/if asked, which means you can go wherever you want in Canada under the right circumstances (finding a better career, family reunification etc.) given that you can document and prove them. Within your nominating province, you can live in any city you like.
I disagree with this, you cannot just "go wherever you want in Canada under the right circumstances" after PR via PNP. It depends on what those circumstances are and 'right' is highly subjective. If you land in Nova Scotia and the next day you move to Ontario because the girl you're talking to you wants to get serious and move in together, then the view from the province would be that you made a misrepresentation by using NS PNP for PR so that you could get Canadian residency for other reasons rather than the intended purpose of contributing to the provincial economy.

Provinces are very strict with their conditions and you are required to abide by the terms of your eCOPR & nomination certificate. It should be okay for you to move within NS, however, I am only speculating. Your best bet is to contact Nova Scotia Immigration and get in writing from them whether it is okay you can live in a different city to the one you were nominated for.

They list the city in those nominations for a good reason: they want the population in that zone to increase.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Entirely incorrect

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2020/2020canlii107572/2020canlii107572.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAncHJvdmluY2lhbCBub21pbmF0aW9uIG1pc3JlcHJlc2VudGF0aW9uAAAAAAE&resultIndex=10

(Family reunification isn’t a get out of jail card for free, as shown by the case in the link . The individual had a rude awakening. The IRCC is well aware some individuals attempt “ immigration shenanigans.”)

D

Deleted member 1050918

Entirely incorrect

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2020/2020canlii107572/2020canlii107572.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAncHJvdmluY2lhbCBub21pbmF0aW9uIG1pc3JlcHJlc2VudGF0aW9uAAAAAAE&resultIndex=10

(Family reunification isn’t a get out of jail card for free, as shown by the case in the link . The individual had a rude awakening. The IRCC is well aware some individuals attempt “ immigration shenanigans.”)
I've just read through the details of the case in the link. That's a stellar mistake in the nominee's landing process. She was nominated by Manitoba and she decided to do her landing in BC. Big mistake. Provincial nominees should always do their landing in their nominating province. Rejection during landing is not uncommon for provincial nominees but once you've done your landing and got your PR card, you can follow below steps. This person's PR rejection has nothing to do with any "legal PNP obligations" whatsoever because there are no such "PNP obligatory" laws whatsoever in the constitution. Show me the order in the constitution that says provincial nominees must reside in their nominating province if you can. You won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

I haven't gone through the details of the case in the link but under below circumstances, provincial nominees are free to live anywhere in Canada:

- You've initially moved to your nominating province and,
- You've searched for jobs extensively in your nominating province through all possible sources (multiple online sources, offline sources etc) and,
- You've tried the services offered by your nominating province in helping you find employment in the province and,
- You've exhausted all other options in your nominating province and,
- You've recorded all of these actions in necessary formats (digital, physical or other),

yet you still couldn't find a job as good as the one you found in another province. In this case the provincial nominee is free to take that job and move outside of their nominating province. People who get in trouble are the ones attempting shady things. The above steps would probably take at least 6 months. But as you can see, there are no "legal obligations". The schedule 4 nominees sign says that you declare "your intent" to live in the nominating province. You can easily show your intent by following above steps. Schedule 4 doesn't have you declare your promise to remain in your nominating province regardless of your circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I've just read through the details of the case in the link. That's a stellar mistake in the nominee's landing process. She was nominated by Manitoba and she decided to do her landing in BC. Big mistake. Provincial nominees should always do their landing in their nominating province. Rejection during landing is not uncommon for provincial nominees but once you've done your landing and got your PR card, you can follow below steps. This person's PR rejection has nothing to do with any "legal PNP obligations" whatsoever because there are no such "PNP obligatory" laws whatsoever in the constitution. Show me the order in the constitution that says provincial nominees must reside in their nominating province if you can. You won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

I haven't gone through the details of the case in the link but under below circumstances, provincial nominees are free to live anywhere in Canada:

- You've initially moved to your nominating province and,
- You've searched for jobs extensively in your nominating province through all possible sources (multiple online sources, offline sources etc) and,
- You've tried the services offered by your nominating province in helping you find employment in the province and,
- You've exhausted all other options in your nominating province and,
- You've recorded all of these actions in necessary formats (digital, physical or other),

yet you still couldn't find a job as good as the one you found in another province. In this case the provincial nominee is free to take that job and move outside of their nominating province. People who get in trouble are the ones attempting shady things. The above steps would probably take at least 6 months. But as you can see, there are no "legal obligations". The schedule 4 nominees sign says that you declare "your intent" to live in the nominating province. You can easily show your intent by following above steps. Schedule 4 doesn't have you declare your promise to remain in your nominating province regardless of your circumstances.
She's the biggest idiot I've ever seen and I'm so happy she got deported. She only used MPNP for her PR and then tried to get with her BC boyfriend. Did you see what that scumbag did? She lied on her MPNP application as well, by not declaring extended family in Canada, so that points wouldn't be deducted from her application, and then she got married the minute before her removal order and applied for H&C.

What you've said there sounds correct, but again, it's really important that at the end of the day the PNP nominee has a genuine intent to live in that province and convincingly and vigorously follows through with that commitment. I would still speak with the province's immigration office before deciding to just move to another city/province. Also, I'd be very surprised if a nominee found it hard to get a job in that province - by virtue of them having been nominated, the province determined they have what it takes to economically establish themselves there.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Also, I'd be very surprised if a nominee found it hard to get a job in that province - by virtue of them having been nominated, the province determined they have what it takes to economically establish themselves there.
Agreed. If one received a provincial nomination, they're either an inland applicant who's already employed in that province or an outland applicant whose NOC was deemed in-demand in their nominating province. With an in-demand NOC, the chances of one completely failing to find employment in their nominating province and even having to move to another province way in the beginning of their life in their nominating province are really small.

Reactions: moscatojuices

vikramnaik14

Nov 30, 2020
Category........
PNP
Surprisingly a lot of people don't realise that you need to land at a specific place when coming to Canada as a PR or even a TR. Full disclosure - I landed in Toronto being an OINP applicant and did my formalities last month (I am back to my home country serving my long notice period after which I will land in Canada for good - in much warmer weather too!). While applying for my SIN I met someone who had a work permit in Ontario but landed in Montreal - needless to stay he was stuck at immigrations and missed the connecting flight to Toronto.
Personally I will search for a job in Ontario but in case I get employment anywhere else I will happily take the job. I believe that is an exacerbating factor one can hope for in such cases.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Surprisingly a lot of people don't realise that you need to land at a specific place when coming to Canada as a PR or even a TR. Full disclosure - I landed in Toronto being an OINP applicant and did my formalities last month (I am back to my home country serving my long notice period after which I will land in Canada for good - in much warmer weather too!). While applying for my SIN I met someone who had a work permit in Ontario but landed in Montreal - needless to stay he was stuck at immigrations and missed the connecting flight to Toronto.
Personally I will search for a job in Ontario but in case I get employment anywhere else I will happily take the job. I believe that is an exacerbating factor one can hope for in such cases.
You're fine to take a job anywhere after you've landed. If you are PNP applicant, the critical part is the landing and the address where the PR card is sent. It can't look like you're planning on moving to a different province and you need to provide a mailing address in your nominating province for the PR card. Otherwise you're good.

Ridham28

Feb 28, 2022
Hi

I Received my COPR in April 2022 & PR was selected from PNP (Ontario). I am planning to land in Toronto and then go to Alberta for a short visit and return to the US as my H1 got selected this year. My question is
  • Can I apply for a PR card while I'm in Canada (the address will be in Ontario)? From what I understand from other threads you cannot apply for a PR card while soft landing, you have to move to Canada permanently for that.
  • Will it be ok that I land in Toronto- complete all formalities and then fly to Alberta

dreammapletree

Star Member
Jul 20, 2020
Hi, I am a PNP candidate and SK is my nominated province. Im planning to land in the end of this month. My plan is to land in Toronto with family, stay with a relative for 5 days and then go to SK. My plan to go to SK is genuine and I have already booked the flight tickets to SK. Im giving my friends address in SK for the PR card. Do you think will there be any issue in my landing process in Toronto?

vikramnaik14

Nov 30, 2020
Category........
PNP
Hi, I am a PNP candidate and SK is my nominated province. Im planning to land in the end of this month. My plan is to land in Toronto with family, stay with a relative for 5 days and then go to SK. My plan to go to SK is genuine and I have already booked the flight tickets to SK. Im giving my friends address in SK for the PR card. Do you think will there be any issue in my landing process in Toronto?
You probably might need to show a connecting flight ticket from Toronto to SK at immigration. That might be enough since direct flights probably don't exist