+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Canada. Workibg for company in Dubai.

tsm

Mar 7, 2014
Hi guys I have a question. I got got my pr approval in April. Now planning to move in August. My company here in Dubai doesn't want to let me go so they've agreed that I can work remotely and travel to Dubai every three months for a couple of weeks then go back. Now my question is regarding the tax return. I know I don't have to file it till next year. But I'm a little confused . My salary will be transferrd in UAE then I'll transfer it from my UAE account to my Canadian one.What will be my obligiations in terms of tax in Canada? Any help would be appreciated.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should file your taxes in Canada because you are still earning money and a permanent resident of Canada and physically living in Canada

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
tsm said:
Hi guys I have a question. I got got my pr approval in April. Now planning to move in August. My company here in Dubai doesn't want to let me go so they've agreed that I can work remotely and travel to Dubai every three months for a couple of weeks then go back. Now my question is regarding the tax return. I know I don't have to file it till next year. But I'm a little confused . My salary will be transferrd in UAE then I'll transfer it from my UAE account to my Canadian one.What will be my obligiations in terms of tax in Canada? Any help would be appreciated.
As you will be living in Canada, your income will be fully taxable at the normal rates. You will have to declare all income received globally, regardless of whether it is transferred to your Canadian account or not.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This will also be a big shocker for you since Dubai does not have any concept of tax

tsm

Mar 7, 2014
Yea but how will that work? I file my taxes and pay whatever I owe yearly? It's so confusing. From what I know if someone works in Canada their salary automatically gets deducted for tax. How will it work for me?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
speak to an accountant in Canada they'll be able to help you with it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Next year, you will file your tax return declaring your 2014 income earned after you moved to Canada. CRA will then send you a letter telling you how much income tax you owe. You then pay that amount in one lump sum.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Although my knowledge in the matter is limited, I would recommend you incorporate and register your own company in Canada and then work for your Dubai employer as a self-employed contractor (providing the services remotely). As a self-employed person with a world income, I believe you will have a number of deductibles and a better chance at a lower tax bill. In any case, you can seek help from local tax professionals when you land in Canada.

It is confusing and overwhelming, so don't be worried about that.

Rajesh Kannah

Jul 20, 2022
Hi. My Canadian study visa had been approved and I am working for a Dubai-based company. Is it legal to be on a Canadian student visa and work remotely for another company in Dubai?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. My Canadian study visa had been approved and I am working for a Dubai-based company. Is it legal to be on a Canadian student visa and work remotely for another company in Dubai?
A person in Canada doesn't even need a work permit to work remotely, so long as they are not remunerated from within Canada, or work for a company with Canadian ties. The work needs to be 100 % remote (via internet, phone, etc.).

Ali.acc90

Sep 10, 2020
How you apply for immigration? byslef or agent