+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living expense and Part time pay for an international student

Estrellita Cose

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
Dears,
I am from India and I got a chance to study at Nova Scotia. Can you please help me by giving the information about living expenses and Part time pay to an international student at Nova Scotia.

Please help me
Hi, how are you?
Are you in Ns now?
Im still waiting for my application as IS in Nova.
If you dont mind may i ask the update of your query before. Is it easy to find part time in ns?
Hows the living expenses?

Thank you.

Sep 2, 2018
Cape Breton is a bit out of downtown Sydney,NS but rents in Sydney are like 700$ for a 2 bedroom which you can share with another student. So 400$ for rent and utilities

cellphone would be about 50$ a month as well

Food is a bit more expensive in Atlantic Canada as compared to Quebec/Ontario so I'm guessing about 200$ a month

I'm guessing there will be a bus pass or something so 80-100$ a month for that max.

Add it up = 400+50+ 200 + 100 = 750-800 $ a month, not bad at all

As for part times, students, especially those without work experience mostly end up in min wage jobs which are like 10.7$/hr

But I doubt it's easy to find employment in Sydney,NS. Seasonal employment at best, not something steady
Would I be able to get a part time job in sydney if I study at cape breton university ? please consider that I dont belong to an affluent family and would have to earn my fee myself.what about full time jobs ? please reply soon.

Sep 2, 2018
But some of my friends paid there fees of 3rd and 4th send Is it because of Nova Scotia you are saying that paying fee is not possible
I also have same question.I have no doubt that i would be quite difficult to pay fee by working 20 hours a week. But many students work on cash illegally but that can be managed somehow.The main concern is that -Are enough part time jobs available -I can even do two jobs simultaneously.

sanu9446

Jan 18, 2019
Hi . I am from India. I got offer letter from Cape Breton University. But I am scared about the availability of part time jobs near there. Can anyone give me an idea whether the part time can be obtained within atleast two month time?

@Sumanth

Jul 18, 2018
You should be expecting minimum wage since you'll be working part time jobs and don't have any Canadian experience.

Yes - I would count on spending $200 month on food - maybe more.
Hello Scylla

I hope you are well !

Could you please shed some light on part time job prospects and living expenses in Toronto/GTA.
Also do employers offer just more than minimum wage of 15$/hour(in Ontario).
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Scylla

I hope you are well !

Could you please shed some light on part time job prospects and living expenses in Toronto/GTA.
Also do employers offer just more than minimum wage of 15$/hour(in ontstOn).
Thanks in advance!
There are certainly part time jobs - however living expenses are very high. You should be expecting to make minimum wage as a student. Minimum wage is $14 (not $15).

sanu9446

Jan 18, 2019
Can anyone please give the idea of part time job availability near Cape Breton University? I got the offer letter. I will have to pay the first year fee within Wednesday. I need to know whether we will be able to get part time jobs within 2 months time.