+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living cost in Sydney, Australia comparing to Canada

moneycat

Jan 30, 2010
I see a lot of folks in these forum are looking at Canada and Australia as destinations; here is my 2 cents of worth about living cost in Sydney as we have been here many years and moving to Canada soon.

1) Accomodation in Sydney: Rental is higher compared to Vancouver. Depends where you live. Good areas in Sydney are those in North Shore and Eastern Suburbs (very expensive). Inner city apartments (1 -bedroom, 65sqm) can costs anywhere between $450 to $800 a week! My friend is paying $2,000 a month for a small apartment in North Shore, no views, no car space. Inner West areas can be cheaper. Best to go to realestate.com.au

2) Petrol: It is usually automatically 30% more expensive than Canada because there is a 30% Fuel Levy in Australia (nationally). Wednesday is the best day to pump petrol; price variation can be 25% throughout the week (I still don't understand why). You could be paying between $1.10 to $1.35 a litre between Wednesday & Thursday!

3) Bank Fees: Very expensive, try use non-big 4 banks, some global banks like HSBC and ING have good offers, but limited ATMs. Australia allows banks to charge so much fees, and also transaction fees using credit cards...etc...so this s quite a shocker to many.

4) Food: Let's look at some comparison. Cost for a cup of cappucinno: $3.00 to $3.80 a cup, but the cup is 1/3 smaller than Canada and 1/2 smaller than USA. Take-out meals, hard to find deals less than $10.00 for a meal (including a drink). Things that are expensive in Sydney: Seafood, lamb (don't laugh), vegetables. On average, we found food in Sydney is approx. 30% more expensive than Vancouver.

5) Cars: Cars are more expensive in Australia because of the import duties; it is generally around 20% more expensive than Canada.You need to buy CTP (insurance: compulsory, which is around $500 a year), licensing fees ($100 a year), car registration $285 a year)

6) Utilities: You have to pay for water, gas and electricity. Our bills are: Water: $253/Qtr, Electricity, around $250/Qtr (very high in summer because of the heat).

7) Parking: One of the biggest hidden costs in Australia, tolls everywhere, parking fees is very expensive, can cost up to $22 per hour :eek: in downtown. Best take trains or buses. No free weekend rates, street parking is around $4.40 per hour in suburban areas and $8.80 per hour in downtown :eek:

:eek: that sums up...hope it does not scare you...been going up very fast!

Jul 3, 2012
I dunno know who da poepel hoo rite stuf on hear no how to fine der way home! "Cause the stuff posted is so wrong, Australia did away with motor vehicle tariffs years ago and now has some of the least expensive vehicles in the world! FACT! Food - kilo of Chicken breast fillet July 2012 $6-99 Milk ONE liter $1-25 pair of jeans $10-00