n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi Everyone,

I came to Canada for University in 2007 and officially landed in August 2013. Like many others, I was affected by the Bill C-24, and submitted my citizenship application under the old 3 out of 5 years rule after Bill C-6 is implemented in October 2017. I have been away from my family since 2003 as they are living in Asia, since I finally submitted my application, I am considering moving back for a year to spend some time with my family before my sister get married in 2019.

From the CIC FAQ I see that we are allowed to move aboard after submission of our citizenship application, as long as, I show up for the interview (if applicable) or knowledge test. Right now I just received the confirmation from CIC to acknowledge that they have received my application. No application status available online yet. My question to all fellow members is: from your experience, would moving back for a year affect my application, in reality?

Really appreciate any insights or feedbacks!

Cheers,

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I came to Canada for University in 2007 and officially landed in August 2013. Like many others, I was affected by the Bill C-24, and submitted my citizenship application under the old 3 out of 5 years rule after Bill C-6 is implemented in October 2017. I have been away from my family since 2003 as they are living in Asia, since I finally submitted my application, I am considering moving back for a year to spend some time with my family before my sister get married in 2019.

From the CIC FAQ I see that we are allowed to move aboard after submission of our citizenship application, as long as, I show up for the interview (if applicable) or knowledge test. Right now I just received the confirmation from CIC to acknowledge that they have received my application. No application status available online yet. My question to all fellow members is: from your experience, would moving back for a year affect my application, in reality?

Cheers,
It could. Do you have someone who will be checking your mailbox regularly in case IRCC sends the test/oath invite ? If you somehow miss it, it could be a long wait and application can get delayed.

Alternatively, you could inform IRCC of your travel plans and they will send the test/oath dates after you return back to Canada.

Also, they *may* ask for a PCC during the interview given you'll be out of Canada for more than 183 days.

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
It could. Do you have someone who will be checking your mailbox regularly in case IRCC sends the test/oath invite ? If you somehow miss it, it could be a long wait and application can get delayed.

Alternatively, you could inform IRCC of your travel plans and they will send the test/oath dates after you return back to Canada.

Also, they *may* ask for a PCC during the interview given you'll be out of Canada for more than 183 days.

Thank you for your response! I do have a permanent address and my roommate could possibly look out for mails from IRCC but I wonder are they all digitalize now and uses emails as the primary form of contact. I do not mind to travel back to take the test/oath, is it mandatory to be there in person for the oath ceremony?

Also, not sure what's PCC is, can you explain? Correct me if I am wrong - my understanding is citizenship eligibility is evaluated based on before the application submission not after, as long as you maintain your PR obligation, which shouldn't be a problem under 2 out of 5 years rule? I just want to make sure I did not miss anything important that could jeopardize my citizenship application since I am so close to the finish line.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thank you for your response! I do have a permanent address and my roommate could possibly look out for mails from IRCC but I wonder are they all digitalize now and uses emails as the primary form of contact. I do not mind to travel back to take the test/oath, is it mandatory to be there in person for the oath ceremony?

Also, not sure what's PCC is, can you explain? Correct me if I am wrong - my understanding is citizenship eligibility is evaluated based on before the application submission not after, as long as you maintain your PR obligation, which shouldn't be a problem under 2 out of 5 years rule? I just want to make sure I did not miss anything important that could jeopardize my citizenship application since I am so close to the finish line.
Test and oath invites are typically sent by regular mail and/or show up as updates on ECAS online. Very rarely do they send out emails.

Absolutely, it is mandatory to be physically present for the oath. It's a proper ceremony.

PCC is police clearance certificate. You're right about citizenship eligibility being evaluated based on before the application submission and not after, however the reason I mentioned the PCC is because someone on this forum reported being asked for one during their interview because like you, they too had spent more than 6 months after application in another country. Best be prepared.

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
Hi Absolute_zer0o,
I’m not an expert or pretend to be, for someone that went through a similar situation he’s my experience (i posted on a different thread, https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-with-the-judge.503748/page-2, in short i was referred to the judge initially after my citizenship test (passed 20/20) because the officer had conserns about my residency ( due to the fact that had a Greencard, that i never used during the relevant period), i was referred to the CJ judge a year later, during the interview with CJ it was clear that he had no issues with my residency (the officer made some mistakes on my entries / exits dates) and i met all the requirements, but his focus for almost an hour was about my life after the relevant period and why i moved after applying...... i had a question on my mind during the hearing “why he’s aking me about the 2 years after application?”
You’re right your eligibility is supposed to be based on the relevant period - that’s what i was saying too- "been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days during the five years immediately before the date of his or her application. , Right now i’m still waiting for a decision to made on my case.
My advice to you is make sure you have ties to canada ( proprety, you close familly, busniess, kids in school,...), just in case.
Good luck brother,

Last edited:
Reactions: dunten

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
You can move as you wish. You will have to inform cic of your absence as well.

You'll have to update your travels in interview (we were asked), if at that time you have spent more that 183 days abroad you might be asked to provide a police clearance certificate, you can obtain that before test/interview to save time.

Interview / test / oath all require you to physically attend the events.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Technically you can move, but frankly, why rock the boat? I would wait until all is over and not make things potentially complicated.
My process took just under 7 months, albeit under the old rules.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
You already "waited" for 10 years. I suggest "pushing" your self couple more months or a year to be in the safe side. Immigration officer can disqualify you indirectly by delaying your application until you lose your PR status

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi Absolute_zer0o,
I’m not an expert or pretend to be, for someone that went through a similar situation he’s my experience (i posted on a different thread, https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-with-the-judge.503748/page-2, in short i was referred to the judge initially after my citizenship test (passed 20/20) because the officer had conserns about my residency ( due to the fact that had a Greencard, that i never used during the relevant period), i was referred to the CJ judge a year later, during the interview with CJ it was clear that he had no issues with my residency (the officer made some mistakes on my entries / exits dates) and i met all the requirements, but his focus for almost an hour was about my life after the relevant period and why i moved after applying...... i had a question on my mind during the hearing “why he’s aking me about the 2 years after application?”
You’re right your eligibility is supposed to be based on the relevant period - that’s what i was saying too- "been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days during the five years immediately before the date of his or her application. , Right now i’m still waiting for a decision to made on my case.
My advice to you is make sure you have ties to canada ( proprety, you close familly, busniess, kids in school,...), just in case.
Good luck brother,
Hi Jaroddz,

Those crazy things we need to go through but I am sure we all know that by now! LOL. That’s absolutely what I am afraid of, and the only reason I want to do it now is that it’s the ‘right’ timing personally… my work contract is ending soon, broke up with my partner recently and my sister is getting married soon, and with the old rule coming back in play I’m sure there will be backlogging; but I actually have a property here in Canada but not sure that would help in this situation...

Would you mind sharing your timeline?

Many Thanks! Cheers.

A

Last edited:

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Hi Jaroddz,

Those crazy the things we need to go to go through this but I know we all know that by now! LOL. That’s absolutely what I am afraid of, and the only reason I want to do it now is that it’s the ‘right’ timing personally… my work contract is ending soon, broke up with my partner recently and my sister is getting married soon, and with the old rule coming back in play I’m sure there will be backlogging; but I actually have a property here in Canada but not sure that would help in this situation...

Would you mind sharing your timeline?

Many Thanks! Cheers.

A
my timeline:

App Sent: March 27,2015 (Fedex)
App Recd: March 31, 2015
AOR in eMail: April 14, 2015
Processing Started: July 13, 2015
Test Date: December 1, 2015 CIT0520 issued after the test
April 18, 2016 CIT 0171 Recv, (Responded: April 29, 2016)
September 27, 2017 CJ hearing.
Oath: ?

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
my timeline:

App Sent: March 27,2015 (Fedex)
App Recd: March 31, 2015
AOR in eMail: April 14, 2015
Processing Started: July 13, 2015
Test Date: December 1, 2015 CIT0520 issued after the test
April 18, 2016 CIT 0171 Recv, (Responded: April 29, 2016)
September 27, 2017 CJ hearing.
Oath: ?
Hello guys,
After almost 3 years, it almost over, the judge approved my application and today i got my ecas updated with the oath ceremony date January 12, 2018, unbelievable, special thanks to dpenbill for his precious advice.
i hope my experience will help others.
Thanks again for your support.

Reactions: lawgrrl

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Hello,
Yesterday I took the oath and became a proud Canadian citizen, I would to thank all the members for their help and support through out the process, and I will be more then happy to pay it back to the forum in form of help /advice if needed based on my experience (i’m Not a lawyer or an Immigration expert :) ), again another huge thanks for dpenabill.
Thanks and good luck to everyone