+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in Quebec after FSW/EE PR

Oct 2, 2017
I have got confirmation of Permanent residency in Canada; hence would get my PR shortly through FSW/EE program. However, my current employer is offering me a job in Montreal, Quebec. Will it be possible for me to accept that and live in Quebec?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
And congratulations getting your first job in Canada!

You just saved yourself a lot of troubles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazpreet Singh

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I have got confirmation of Permanent residency in Canada; hence would get my PR shortly through FSW/EE program. However, my current employer is offering me a job in Montreal, Quebec. Will it be possible for me to accept that and live in Quebec?
are you inland?
becareful, you can live any where in Canada, but if you land and say you will live in Quebec, they ask you for CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec)
if you don't have it, Canada border service not allow you to land

if you are inland, flagpole, then you move

if you are outland, just land and don't use Quebec nor Nunavut address

If you already landed, GO, GO, GO,,, ANY PROBLEM, LE QUEBEC IS FORMIDABLE,,,

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Thanks @mpsqra for your reply.
I am not yet in Canada.
Option 1
What I was thinking was that I would land outside Quebec( say Toronto ) and will mention that I stay in Toronto. Will stay there for as long as it takes to get PR card. After getting the PR card, move to Quebec and will apply health insurance from Montreal, Quebec.
Do you think the above option is safe?
Option 2
I land in Toronto, mention that I will stay in Toronto, but move to Quebec in a few days. Can I get my PR card then to Quebec address. Please suggest. Not much aware of the legalities :(

Best Regards,
Jaspreet

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Thanks @mpsqra for your reply.
I am not yet in Canada.
Option 1
What I was thinking was that I would land outside Quebec( say Toronto ) and will mention that I stay in Toronto. Will stay there for as long as it takes to get PR card. After getting the PR card, move to Quebec and will apply health insurance from Montreal, Quebec.
Do you think the above option is safe?
Option 2
I land in Toronto, mention that I will stay in Toronto, but move to Quebec in a few days. Can I get my PR card then to Quebec address. Please suggest. Not much aware of the legalities :(

Best Regards,
Jaspreet
You can land at any border, for PR Card don't use Quebec address. You can change it later by phone 1 888 242 2100.
For your new NAS (Número d'assurance sociale) and health insurance you should ask to an immigration/consultant lawyer. Many times in Quebec ask for CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec) for NAS and health insurance.

Reactions: Jazpreet Singh

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
If landing at Quebec could be an issue, you may want to land shortly at Toronto, you may get your Social Insurance Number in a day (even at the airport U think), and then move to Quebec or wherever

About the PR card isn't mandatory to provide an address when landing, because most people don't know where they are going to stay, so if you don't have a friend or family address, just wait until have an address for 3 months (OR card delay us about 2 months, I think)

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Be careful! Check
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html?wbdisable=true

It states

Other requirements
  1. You must be admissible to Canada. Find out more about inadmissibility
  2. You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

This is very ambiguous. What if an English speaker never intended to stay in Quebec but he/she got a job and moved there. Will this create an issue for them when they apply for citizenship? I am in a similar situation as OP. I have my PR card already (FSW EE, landed in Toronto). Now i have an offer from Montreal and I am stuck with the same question. Will it create problems if I live there for 3 years and then apply for citizenship.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Be careful! Check
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html?wbdisable=true

It states

Other requirements

This is very ambiguous. What if an English speaker never intended to stay in Quebec but he/she got a job and moved there. Will this create an issue for them when they apply for citizenship? I am in a similar situation as OP. I have my PR card already (FSW EE, landed in Toronto). Now i have an offer from Montreal and I am stuck with the same question. Will it create problems if I live there for 3 years and then apply for citizenship.
I am yet to make my landing and have not confronted the issue myself. However, as people above suggested, we can move to Quebec after landing in other provinces. For PR delivery address, we should give a non-Quebec address. You can also refer the comment below by Qorax in a different post.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/doubts-can-i-land-anywhere-matter-which-poe-to-choose.35499/page-8#post-893677

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Very good
first land, then move to Québec

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
Wondering if we have a clear answer to this scenario - I am FSW-O applicant(from USA) and have done the landing formalities in ONTARIO region and came back to USA. I still do not have the PR card but have given Toronto address. I have job interviews lined up in Quebec region(Montreal) and they are calling me for in person interview sometime this month. Can I cross the border on Quebec region and not get into any trouble using the COPR which is valiid till May? If I settle down in QC, will it be an issue to get the health card or citizenship 3 years later?

Oct 2, 2017
Be careful! Check

It states

Other requirements

Hi Ch672,

Have you moved to Quebec? If yes, was there any issue in getting health card or other document.

Thanks,
Jaspreet

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hi Ch672,

Have you moved to Quebec? If yes, was there any issue in getting health card or other document.

Thanks,
Jaspreet
I rejected my job offer from Quebec (Montreal) since I wasn't sure about it. Haven't moved there yet so no health card.

Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In a similar situation.

Outland applicant. Received COPR. Tried to find job in Toronto but no luck. Eventually got a job but location is Montreal. Not sure to accept it or reject it.

Leaning towards rejecting it or asking employer to provide job location in Toronto.