+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

live-in caregiver

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

roel0611 said:
So far there is no website that will support my info. This is real-live info coming from Canadian immigration office. My relative who is a canadian citizen has just arranged the necessary documents from their government to employ a caregiver. He is the one who told me about it.
At this point it is a rumor nothing more nothing less. There are changes coming to the LCP but no one has published any changes as yet.

PMM

R

roel0611

If its a rumor I would have said that my cousin who is an employer in canada heard a rumor that etc etc...
What I am telling you is that my cousin filed as an employer, and he himself learned the revised policies.
Im as concerned as everyone here, because I also aspire to go there and be a permanent resident.

But it is an exprience that I am sharing with the person who posted the question
All caregiver visas petitioned by employers starting 2009 are no longer qualified to be automatically elligible to apply for Permanent residency even if they've worked in canada for 2 years. This is already in effect Until further revisions on the program comes up again. if the caregiver wants to be a PR, he/she has to go back home to the country of her origin and file to the embassy their application to be PR via the skilled-worker- immigration (point system) visa system

Now im considering if i will push through because without the promise or guarantee of becoming a PR makes the whole caregiving significantly uninteresting anymore (inless your main motivation is to earn money and not to mograte).

Those who arrived in Canada recently should have no worries.. Bec if u arrived in canada sometime in 2009 it means that your employer's petition was filed and processed at least 18 mos ago..

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
roel0611 said:
If its a rumor I would have said that my cousin who is an employer in canada heard a rumor that etc etc...
What I am telling you is that my cousin filed as an employer, and he himself learned the revised policies.
Im as concerned as everyone here, because I also aspire to go there and be a permanent resident.

But it is an exprience that I am sharing with the person who posted the question
All caregiver visas petitioned by employers starting 2009 are no longer qualified to be automatically elligible to apply for Permanent residency even if they've worked in canada for 2 years. This is already in effect Until further revisions on the program comes up again. if the caregiver wants to be a PR, he/she has to go back home to the country of her origin and file to the embassy their application to be PR via the skilled-worker- immigration (point system) visa system

Now im considering if i will push through because without the promise or guarantee of becoming a PR makes the whole caregiving significantly uninteresting anymore (inless your main motivation is to earn money and not to mograte).

Those who arrived in Canada recently should have no worries.. Bec if u arrived in canada sometime in 2009 it means that your employer's petition was filed and processed at least 18 mos ago..
I am sick and tired of this rumor going around,So I contacted Therese Vermette The Director of Communication of Citizenship and Immigration Canada for the BC and Yukon Region and She stated Until Further Notice Live in Care Givers are Automatically entitled to apply for Permanent Residency after 24 months of work in a 36 month period,I asked her to confirm this as OFFICIAL CIC POLICY.THIS IS CIC TALKING STOP LISTENING TO RUMORS.Anybody want to confirm this can email her at therese.vemette@cic.gc.ca.If you dont believe CIC and give more weight to rumors fine,It is extremely frustrating for me who works in goverment to see people continue to believe rumors when the truth is clear,But there will be changes in the LCP program announced this September,I was informed of this,So until the changes come out,the policy stands.Hows this for a bet,unless there is a change of Goverment,If there is no change announced in September in the LCP,I quit this forum permanently.Fair enough,at least I dont have to spend 1-2 hours a day helping people.Anybody care to take the bet.Caregivers are entitled to apply for Permanent Residency after 24 months of service FINISHED

jmom27

Jul 2, 2009
Clarification to the above post:

The 37.5 hours per week minimum is for a 'skilled foreign worker' who is applying for Permanent Residency.

In Ontario, the min. requirement for full-time work under the Live-In Caregiver program is 30 hours per week. If you have 30 hours per week for 2 years experience as a live-in caregiver then you are automatically eligible to apply for permanent residency.

The new min. rate is $10 per hour in Ontario for a live-in caregiver.

The Job:
To meet the conditions of the Live-in Caregiver Program the following must be acknowledged on the employer's application:

The job is full-time. In some provinces full-time work is defined in provincial labour standards legislation. Where this is the case, provincial standards should prevail. Where provincial labour standards do not specify full-time work, full-time work should be defined as 30 hours per week or more for the purpose of the Live-in Caregiver Program delivery. Part-time jobs do not allow live-in caregivers to adequately financially support themselves in Canada.

Please see website below:

http://myaccurate.com/clients/HRSDC/07-045/LCP/en/index-en.html

bestjsg

Jun 3, 2009
jmom27 said:
The Job:
To meet the conditions of the Live-in Caregiver Program the following must be acknowledged on the employer's application:

The job is full-time. In some provinces full-time work is defined in provincial labour standards legislation. Where this is the case, provincial standards should prevail. Where provincial labour standards do not specify full-time work, full-time work should be defined as 30 hours per week or more for the purpose of the Live-in Caregiver Program delivery. Part-time jobs do not allow live-in caregivers to adequately financially support themselves in Canada.

Please see website below:

http://myaccurate.com/clients/HRSDC/07-045/LCP/en/index-en.html
Thank you for the link.

I guess our concern is that HRDC has the requirement for 30 hrs to approve the LMO / work permit etc but when time comes to applying for PR, the CIC requirement/definition kicks in which is 37.5 hrs. Does this make sense or am I just thinking too much ...

jmom27

Jul 2, 2009
No, HRSDC does not issue a work permit.

A work permit is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

If you are in Ontario and you call CIC, they will tell you that workers under the Live-In Caregiver program are required to work at least 30 hours per week to qualify as full time. They will also tell you that if you came to Canada to work as a SKILLED FOREIGN WORKER, then you must work 37.5 hours per week to be considered a full time worker.

Please don't get the two mixed up.

The Live-In Caregiver Program and the Skilled Foreign Worker program are two very separate programs that require different requirements from CIC.

All this information is also available on the internet on government websites. But it's also just a phone call away if you don't want to surf the web for it. I just wanted to clear up the misunderstanding on this forum.

bestjsg

Jun 3, 2009
jmom27 said:
No, HRSDC does not issue a work permit.

A work permit is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

If you are in Ontario and you call CIC, they will tell you that workers under the Live-In Caregiver program are required to work at least 30 hours per week to qualify as full time. They will also tell you that if you came to Canada to work as a SKILLED FOREIGN WORKER, then you must work 37.5 hours per week to be considered a full time worker.

Please don't get the two mixed up.

The Live-In Caregiver Program and the Skilled Foreign Worker program are two very separate programs that require different requirements from CIC.

All this information is also available on the internet on government websites. But it's also just a phone call away if you don't want to surf the web for it. I just wanted to clear up the misunderstanding on this forum.

Thanks for the info. I have actually called CIC and have the rep looked the actual application form with the document checklist while I asked the question, the answer was they don't know, it is different in every province, I said I am in Ontario, they then gave me a phone number to call Ministry of Labour in Ontario....called them , they said there is no min. work hours in ontario but emphased 4 times that the max. is 44 hrs......so I got no where..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shanicanada said:
hi,, evryone.
I have a question, if someone can reply me i would be grateful.
I am live in caregiver in ontario, i started work with my employer in 29th Oct 2007. still i m working with them. In July & August of 2008 i got 2 month vacation(because lak of work ), but i didn't leave the Canada. I got EI for those 2 months. After 2 month vacation i started work with the same employer that i worked before, and i am still work with them. I didn't change the employers still,
My question is when can i apply my permanent residency.? 29th oct 2009 or 29th dec 2009?
Does 2 month vacation affect the duration of employment?
thank you very much,, this blog is really helpful.
You could only count 2 weeks of the 2 months as vacation, so you could apply in 15/12/09.

PMM

sookie

Aug 25, 2009
BCguy said:
That rumor is not correct,In fact I had a meeting with the special assistant of the Immigration Minister to study this issue,It turns out that about a couple hundred Nannies arrived as Temporary foriegn workers who are not qualified to apply for P.R because the did not apply as Live In Care Givers But as Temporary Foriegn Workers,You see the waiting time for LCP is longer then TFW and since Many agencies do not collect the full fee until you leave for Canada,They sign the Nannies on as TFW to get their money faster,Thats Why they cannot blame Canada for their problem,They did not read what they applied for.How can you demand the right of a Live In Caregiver if you NEVER applied to come to Canada as a Caregiver.There is no cure for stupidity of people who dont read what they apply for and greed of agencies combined
There is no special application for Live-in Caregivers, all applications for work permits are the same IMM 1295.
It was the Embassy who sent me the application IMM 1295B. Anyways, you cannot apply for Permanent Resident Visa under the live-in caregiver. You must apply for PR within Canada after the successful completion of the 2 years period.

sookie

Aug 25, 2009
Canadian Embassy
Visa Section
Laurenzerberg 2
A-1010 Vienna
Austria
Here is the original form that I got from the Canadian Embassy.

CANADA'S LIVE-IN CAREGIVER PROGRAM
Canada's Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) is designed for qualified Live-in Caregivers who will
reside in the private household of their employer in Canada to care for children, the elderly or the
Participants who are selected under the program will be granted work permit for one year. In Canada
they will be eligible to seek renewals of the work permit, and after at least two years of full-time
employment as live-in caregivers, they will be provided with the opportunity to apply for permanent
residence in Canada. Participants who do not apply for, or are not accepted for, permanent residence
in Canada may work in Canada for a maximum of three years.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must meet each of the following requirements to be accepted in the Live-in Caregiver
Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian high school education: this requirement will
help to ensure that those participants who apply for permanent residence after two years will be able
to succeed in the general labour market since studies have shown that over the next ten years, 65%
of new jobs in Canada will require at least a high school education.
Six months of full-time training in a field or occupation related to that for which the employment
authorization is sought; OR completion of one year of full-time paid employment. This includes
at least six months of continuous employment with one employer in the occupation being applied
for and must have taken place within three years of the application date for an employment
authorization. You may have gained your training or experience in early childhood education,
geriatric care, paediatric nursing or first aid, to name just a few areas. You may have completed your
training as part of your formal education.
3.Language Abilities:
Ability to speak, read and understand either the English or French language: you must be able to
function independently in a home setting. For example, you must be able to contact emergency
services if required and to understand labels to give medication. You will be unsupervised for most
of the day and may be put in a position of having to communicate with someone outside the home.
A good knowledge of English or French will enable you to read and understand for yourself what
your rights and obligations are.
4) Good Character:
Applicants are required to present a recent police clearance certificate as proof of their good
5) Medical Examination:
Applicants must undergo a medical examination to establish that they meet the health requirements
for admission to Canada. The medical examination will be conducted by a medical examiner
designated by Canada's Overseas Health Program.
6) Genuine Visitor:
Applicants must satisfy a visa officer that they will respect the conditions of the program and leave
Canada if unable to obtain permanent resident status under the Live-in Caregiver Program.
7) Applicants destined to Quebec:
Applicants destined to an employer in the province of Quebec must obtain a "Certificat d'acception
du Quebec" from the Immigration Service of Quebec in addition to an work permit.
Applicants who are unable to meet the education, training or language requirements are unlikely to
be accepted under the Live-in Caregiver Program. If you believe that you lack the qualifications to
be accepted under this program, we ask you to inform both the Embassy and your prospective
employer in writing.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sookie said:
BCguy said:
That rumor is not correct,In fact I had a meeting with the special assistant of the Immigration Minister to study this issue,It turns out that about a couple hundred Nannies arrived as Temporary foriegn workers who are not qualified to apply for P.R because the did not apply as Live In Care Givers But as Temporary Foriegn Workers,You see the waiting time for LCP is longer then TFW and since Many agencies do not collect the full fee until you leave for Canada,They sign the Nannies on as TFW to get their money faster,Thats Why they cannot blame Canada for their problem,They did not read what they applied for.How can you demand the right of a Live In Caregiver if you NEVER applied to come to Canada as a Caregiver.There is no cure for stupidity of people who dont read what they apply for and greed of agencies combined
There is no special application for Live-in Caregivers, all applications for work permits are the same IMM 1295.
It was the Embassy who sent me the application IMM 1295B. Anyways, you cannot apply for Permanent Resident Visa under the live-in caregiver. You must apply for PR within Canada after the successful completion of the 2 years period.
Yup, that is correct. The indication that you are applying for a caregiver work permit (and as such under the livein caregiver program) is in the job contract.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/sample-contract.asp

jmorris

Aug 31, 2009
Hi everyone

I have been doing my research on the live in care givers program as I am considering applying for the visa. However I am wondering if whilst in Canada on that visa, can you get a part time job (evenings/weekend)?? If anyone knows anything about this I would be very greatful.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you can not get a part time job. Like other temporary foreign workers, your work permit is tied to one employer and you can not work for anybody else. The only thing you are allowed to do on the side is take courses shorter than 6 months because those are not really considered studying. If they were longer, you would officially be studying, would need a study permit and would not be a live-in caregiver anymore.