+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live In Caregiver - Use agency or not

bg_27

Jun 2, 2009
Hi,

I have a potential live in caregiver in Hong Kong (she's filipino) and I would like to bring her Canada (at this point I believe she meets all the requirements).
I just have a couple questions:

1) Should I use an agency to bring her over? Is the agency worth it?
2) My wife is expecting. I am even able to apply for the live in caregiver yet, or do we have to wait for our child to be born?

Thanks

EmilyMarie

Dec 31, 2008
MISSISSAUGA ONTARIO
You don't need to have a child to apply. I had an employer who was pregnant and didn't need the caregiver right away. Her LMO was approved and the caregiver arrived 5-6 months later.

ellejnoc

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
your caregiver can apply thru the agency or personally in the canadian embassy in hk.if she applies thru the agency she only needs to pay hk$1000 or less,for the processing of the papers.this excludes the visa fee,police clearance fee and the medical check up fee.just be sure that she meets all the reqts she needs when she applies there coz i know many filipina who applied and have been denied coz of lack of info.

swan25

May 4, 2010
ellejnoc said:
your caregiver can apply thru the agency or personally in the canadian embassy in hk.if she applies thru the agency she only needs to pay hk$1000 or less,for the processing of the papers.this excludes the visa fee,police clearance fee and the medical check up fee.just be sure that she meets all the reqts she needs when she applies there coz i know many filipina who applied and have been denied coz of lack of info.

Hello! Thanks for the good info. I wanna know if having a caregiver training certificate alone could make a visa approved? Or the applicant must have a year experience or so? Someone offered me for a domestic helper job in Hongkong because she said it's easy to apply for a caregiver job in Canada by being a DH in HK. I wanna hear feedbacks regarding this. BIG THANKS!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
swan25 said:
Hello! Thanks for the good info. I wanna know if having a caregiver training certificate alone could make a visa approved? Or the applicant must have a year experience or so? Someone offered me for a domestic helper job in Hongkong because she said it's easy to apply for a caregiver job in Canada by being a DH in HK. I wanna hear feedbacks regarding this. BIG THANKS!
No problem applying with 6-month certificate alone. Are you Filipino? Processing in the Philippines for live in caregivers is from 12-18 months. Processing in HK is faster; 6 months. If your employer is willing to wait 18 months then apply with the certificate alone. If not then gain experience then apply where you are, not in the Philippines.

Reactions: Colinkim

swan25

May 4, 2010
Oh that's good. Thanks for your reply job_seeker. Yes I am a Filipino. And I dream to work in Canada. I was wondering what to do with the caregiver thing then I saw this site. It really helps. And your reply really helps, too. I have no experience as a caregiver yet so I asked.

takinanay

Jan 8, 2014
hello every one...im a newbie here..im working as a HSW here in saudi..im planning to work in HK after here..pra mkapag apply as a live in caregiver sa canada...and i was read that it needs at least 1 year experienced before maka apply sa canada...un po bang exprienced ko dto ay hindi counted? or kailangan po ba talagang sa HK ma-gain ung experienced na sinasabi na un? thanks ang Godbless.. :)