+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in caregiver previous work experience eligibility

jbailey

Jul 26, 2014
Hi guys,

I've just been looking through the eligibility for the live-in caregiver program and was hoping for some clarification on one point.

A prospective nanny we have worked full-time in as a caregiver in her home country from 2006-2012. Her employment ended June 2012. Does that make her still eligible for the program, or has she just missed the 12 months experience within the past 3 years part?

Hope this isn't the case as that would be really unfortunate! :(

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She would need to have 12 full months of experience in the last three years. Based on what you've written, it sounds like she has just missed out unfortunately.

jbailey

Jul 26, 2014
Jeez, this sucks :(

I see there's six months of training you can do to be eligible too. Is there is a specific outline for those courses to meet the requirements? Childcare courses or whatever?

dnetplayer

Jul 1, 2014
In regards with the 12 full months of experience in the last three years. Does it have to be in an institution or company..?
Because my experience as a live-in caregiver is with the employer's residence or house itself...

Thanks in advance.

mylady833

Sep 28, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25, 2013
Doc's Request.
Aip May 15, 2014, DM July 12,2014
Interview........
07-08-2014
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
dnetplayer said:
In regards with the 12 full months of experience in the last three years. Does it have to be in an institution or company..?
Because my experience as a live-in caregiver is with the employer's residence or house itself...

Thanks in advance.
1 year full time paid experience will matter on the kind of job you will have in Canada. If your experience is in elder care in an institution or private household then you can find a job on the same line of your experience. CIC will deny your application if your job in Canada is not related to your experience, elder care experience to child care.

Here is the quote from the manual:Work experience requirement
Work experience must be in a field or occupation related to the employment sought. For example, prospective live-in caregivers may have experience in early childhood education, geriatric care, paediatric or geriatric nursing. Caregiving experience in an institutional setting (day care, crèche, hospital, senior citizens’ home, etc.) should be considered in assessing whether the applicant meets the experience requirement. Experience as a midwife or hospital technician is not acceptable as they do not have caregiving experience related to children, the elderly or people with disabilities.

andrea1994

Aug 20, 2014
Please help! I'm a south african and I'm I Europe for 2years wighour returning to South Africa. I have worked one year as aupair I the Netherlands and I'm currently finishing my year as aupair in belgium. Are these aupair experience comparable to the fulltime employment. I live with the families and everything, I get paid and so on! In the netherlands I worked 30hours a week and now in belgium 20hours. Please let me know! I have founded a Canadian family , but I want to make sure before applying!