Oct 29, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
owp-pr application sent-11-21-09(LC1)
Suee said:
hi mydesire,

Thank you. I didn't get any request for medical. I am a Sri Lankan. I check it in Ecas. They shows "medical results have been received and A decision has been made and you will be contacted." I will keep update. Wish you to get it very soon.

quote author=mydesire link=topic=40085.msg311235#msg311235 date=1275963283]
;D CONGRATULATIONS!

Did you try contacting cic to ask about your medical instructions? And do you also check your Ecas? I think your included in their new law about applicants not to undergo the second medical exams. ( I hope)
May i know your nationality, Im Filipino, my dependants is in the Philippines.
Thanks for the updates, and please keep us posted.

mydesire

Star Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ottawa
@ Suee

that means you dont have to go for 2nd medical exams, and I think your next step will be interview.

Application for Permanent Residence In Canada
This diagram explains each step in the application process

1. IN PROCESS (A decision has not been made yet.)

Application Received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
We have received your application and will review it in order of receipt. We will send you an acknowledgement letter.

Documentation Verified by CIC
We are reviewing your application to make sure it is complete and that no documents are missing. We will return incomplete applications for resubmission.

Medical Results Received by CIC
We have received your medical results. We will contact you only if additional tests are needed.

2. DECISION MADE (A decision has been made at this point.)
An Interview May be Required
We will review the application and decide if an interview is necessary. If so, we will inform you in writing of the date, time and location of the interview.

Sponsorship / In-Canada Application for Permanent Resident Status Determined
The sponsorship applications and In-Canada Application for Permanent Resident Status will be either approved or rejected. We will inform you in writing in either case.

Permanent Residence Status Determined
If your application is approved, we will send you your permanent resident documentation and a letter saying what we need to finalize your permanent residence.

3. COMPLETE (This is the last step in the processing of your application.)

Applicant Arrives in Canada and is Granted
Permanent Residence
You will need to meet with an Immigration Officer who will verify your documents and grant you permanent residence if all is in order.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hi suee,

Your inbox is full.

One week apart (OWP/AIP and medical request; applied in July 2009). You can go on a vacation because you already have your OWP. Make sure your TRV is current and valid though. It would take a few more months before they are processed; in the Philippines it takes between 18-22 months for the processing of dependents of live in caregivers. I don't know how long the processing is in Sri Lanka. I know it is sad. Single live in caregiver class, processing up to PR is 10 months (the one who applied in July, less even, her landing interview was May 3)

lai1279

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Suee,

Yeh,still have to wait a week for the medical request...but I'm still hoping that there's no more medical for us....the note on your ecas might have been mistaken...did you call the cic office to verify this?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
lai1279 said:
Suee,

Yeh,still have to wait a week for the medical request...but I'm still hoping that there's no more medical for us....the note on you're ecas might have been mistaken...did you call the cic office to verify this?
We can adopt a "wait and see attitude" now since the new rule has just been if effect (was it April when it was announced officially?) Let us hope no more medicals for the new applicants who have not received their med requests when the announcement was made.

Quickquestion

Jun 8, 2010
I just read a post about an employer trying to take advantage of a foreign worker. If you are a live in caregiver, please know that you have employment rights that your employer is required by law to follow. If they do not, then you need to let them know your rights. If they continue to violate your rights, look for employment elsewhere and report them so they don't do it to the next person. You do not owe them anything and they would be required to pay you for all your time worked. They cannot steal or damage your belongings by law just because you refuse. Please don't think you don't have any options.

There is a Filipino version document of the below summary on this website here:

labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/is_fn_epfn.php

Please take care of yourself and don't let your employer abuse you for the sake of your end goal. I understand the Filipino culture prefers to be in non-confrontational situations, but please learn to respect yourself and stand up for your rights in a diplomatic manner. You don't need to be rude or emotional about your right to normal working conditions. Just let them know your concerns about overworking yourself beyond the legal limit since this ultimately impacts the care their children receive! Why would they want to overwork the caretakers of their children anyway. This is Canada and so if you want to integrate, be more assertive. As long as you follow the visa process, you will still have an opportunity to apply for PR status. Even if that means you need to leave an abusive employer!

The Employment Protection for Foreign Nationals Act (Live-in Caregivers and Others), 2009 (EPFNA) applies to foreign nationals working as live-in caregivers or seeking work as live-in caregivers in Ontario. For example, if you are working or looking for work under the federal Live-In Caregiver Program, the Act would apply to you.

This information sheet gives a summary of your rights under the EPFNA. As a live-in caregiver employed in Ontario, you also have rights under the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA) to standards such as the minimum wage and limits on hours of work. You have the right to receive an information sheet about your ESA rights, titled Your Employment Standards Rights: Foreign Live-in Caregivers, along with this information sheet.

A recruiter cannot charge you any fee
A recruiter is anyone who finds or tries to find you employment, helps another person in finding you employment, or refers you to someone to help you find employment in Ontario. The recruiter cannot charge you any fees. For example, he or she cannot charge you a fee for your Labour Market Opinion (LMO), work permit, or anything else required for you to begin work in Canada. Additionally, you cannot be charged a fee for extra services such as orientation, resume writing, interview preparation, or First Aid training sessions. The recruiter cannot charge you a fee for these services even if they are optional. In addition, no person working on behalf of a recruiter can collect a fee from you.

Your employer cannot charge you for hiring costs
If your employer paid fees or incurred other costs to hire you, he or she cannot recover these hiring costs from you. This means that your employer cannot charge these costs to you and cannot deduct them from your wages. This includes costs for all the same work-related charges and fees that your recruiter is prohibited from charging you such as for your LMO or work permit.

Your recruiter or employer cannot take your property
Your recruiter, your employer, or a person acting on behalf of either, is prohibited from taking or retaining your property for any reason. This includes documents such as your passport or work permit.

You cannot agree to give up your rights
You cannot agree or sign a contract to give up any of your rights under the EPFNA with your recruiter, your employer, or someone acting for your recruiter or employer. Any such agreement is invalid.

Your recruiter or employer cannot punish you for asking about or asserting your rights
Your recruiter, your employer, and any person acting on behalf of either, is prohibited from intimidating or punishing you for asking about or asserting your rights under the EPFNA or the ESA. You cannot be fired for asserting your rights. You cannot be intimidated or punished for speaking to a Ministry of Labour employment standards officer, filing a complaint with the Ministry, or participating in a hearing.

If your recruiter or employer does intimidate or punish you for asking about or asserting your rights, he or she can be ordered to compensate you for any loss.

If you have a question or want to make a claim
If you have any questions about this information, or believe you have not received your rights and want to make a claim to the Ministry of Labour, please contact the Employment Standards Information Centre at (416) 326-7160 (toll-free at 1-800-531-5551) or, for the hearing impaired, at TTY 1-866-567-8893. You may also visit labour.gov.on.ca for more information or to download a claim form. You can also get an EPFNA claim form at a ServiceOntario Centre. To locate the Centre nearest you, please call 1-800-267-8097.

You have three and a half years to file a claim for your rights under the EPFNA. There is no limit on how much money can be recovered if an order is issued under the EPFNA.

Please note that different time limits apply to claims filed under the ESA and the EPFNA. Also, separate forms are used to file claims under the ESA and the EPFNA.

mydesire

Star Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ottawa
Sorry for giving you wrong info, Im just too happy for you. But still I'm hoping for you not to have a 2nd medical exam. Goodluck and GODbless

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
mydesire said:
Sorry for giving you wrong info, Im just too happy for you. But still I'm hoping for you not to have a 2nd medical exam. Goodluck and GODbless
Hi mydesire,

You may be right you know. It's just at an early stage. We just have to keep hoping everything is changing for the better. Being away from our family is the price we pay for wanting to offer them chances at a better life.

Suee

Star Member
Apr 25, 2010
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Job seeker, mydesire and lai1279

This is my new updates

:D :-*
Today I received another letter from CIC. It says " It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirement to apply for
the permanent resident status as a Member of the Live-in caregiver class."

Also it says a final decision will not be made until family members pass the medical and background check. They says they will be contacting my family members to request the medical and background check. Now I can understand no more medical check for us.

mydesire

Star Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ottawa
Yay! GOD is GOOD, please update us when your family receive the application kit.
And thank you so much for your updates.

@jobseeker ;D
Have a great day/night to everyone!

lai1279

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
yey!!!ive been praying abt this....answered prayer.....
mydesire said:
Yay! GOD is GOOD, please update us when your family receive the application kit.
And thank you so much for your updates.

@ jobseeker ;D
Have a great day/night to everyone!

lai1279

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Opppppssss...thank you.....I forgot to thank you suee...
Jobseeker:thank you also for all the advised.
Well,it doesn't end here.let's update one another GOD bless everyone

job_seeker said:
Suee,

Yup. Now we know :) Thanks for the updates.

Thanks lai.

lai1279

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Hi,
just an update:
My family in the philippines received the kit dated june 10 2010..I haven't receive my owp yet...Thank God!!!