+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live-in caregiver PR applicants for April,May and June timeline

FairElisabeth

May 22, 2012
Hi all, contacting media is a good idea because Kalinka is right, if we don't that stage 2 approval will be 22/23 months as well which means it will take
4 years to get PR once we apply. Unfair.

LC.Calgary

Apr 23, 2012
I LikE that post from Lilyloves, I've copied from http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t80096.0.html the very 1 post, 1 page. Thank you, Lilyloves.

"Hello dear Caregivers,

A while ago I suggested we got together and protested against this enormous delay for the Canadian immigration to process our applications.
They are making the process longer and abusive, changing the rules as it pleases them.

- It takes around 3 months to get a new work permit;
- We are not allowed to take another job while we wait for the permit to arrive;
- Families don't want to hire us when they hear they'll have to wait;
- I cannot estimate how long I'll work for the new family, for as soon as I get my Open Permit I will take another job (so it will be unfair for the host family);
- The Open Permit was promised to June 2011, and now it's delayed to mid November; (more than 5 months delay, and it keeps taking longer);
- I can't afford to pay for health care;
- I can't afford to pay for accommodation without an income;
- I applied for jobs in the area that I graduated, but because the Open Permit never arrived I couldn't take the jobs. And no employer has patience to "hold" the job for me until the immigration releases my Permit.

I am sure there are many other stories, specially about relatives waiting to come to Canada, which is not my case. But I think it's time we gather together across the country and make our voices be heard.
I suggest we get organized and protest pacifically.

I am sure most of us are honest, hard-working nannies who have done our part of the deal. We worked our hours, showed up on time, did all of our obligations and much more.
And what about the government's part of the deal? Did Canada invite us to the country to shame and starve us? This is not what I came here for. We all have dignity, and we deserve to be respected.

I propose we strike for a day and parade in the downtown areas of our cities. For those who can't really not show up to work, I suggest you ask permission for your host families to bring the children with you to the Protest Area. We should have signs, printed out material about what the government promised, and how the process has gotten more difficult.

Your suggestions are welcome! Let's get together and seek our rights! The government in BC recently came up with a pilot project to give the right to family members of temporary works to be able to work. And what about us??? We have worked at least 2 years in the Live-in Caregiver. So, while we wait for Permanent Residency, we should have the right to take any job as well!"

FairElisabeth

May 22, 2012
This article was posted today in the Toronto Star, maybe we need to contact the Toronto Star as well.
Email : city@thestar.ca ( Let's write to them as well )

Nannies waiting longer for open-work permits in Canada

Catalina Ferano longed for the day she would be free to go where she wants and do whatever job she chooses in Canada.

So after the Filipina nanny fulfilled her two-year obligation as a live-in caregiver last July, she immediately applied for an open-work permit while her application for permanent residency was being processed.

Now, nine months after submitting her application, Ferano’s open permit still hasn’t arrived.

“Without it, I have to continue to work as a live-in caregiver. It’s frustrating,” said Ferano, an architect from the Philippines.

Kay Manuel, of Toronto’s Caregivers Action Centre, said the advocacy group has received a growing number of calls from nannies complaining wait times for the open permit have been creeping up — after a drop at the start of 2012 when Ottawa issued 10,000 permits to desperate caregivers.

“Some of our members called the immigration phone line and they are told to get a new (live-in) employer because CIC doesn’t know how long the open-work permit will take,” said Manuel, who submitted her own application last August and is still waiting.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada said it is not known how many open permit applications are in the queue but there is currently an inventory of 2,367 permanent resident cases through the live-in caregiver program.

“The current inventory of open-work permit applications may be less than 2,367,” department spokesperson Bill Brown said in an email. “The current processing time is 71 days.”

As a result of policy changes, Brown added, live-in caregivers are now eligible for open permits immediately after they apply for permanent residence, instead of waiting until they receive “approval in principle” — a streamlining that can save applicants 18 months.

The live-in caregiver sector has been alarmed by recent comments that Immigration Minister Jason Kenney made recently to the Economic Club of Canada, that the current situation creates “a bit of a revolving door” with nannies being allowed to leave their jobs after two years. Critics worry the government is poised to do away with the option of allowing them to become permanent residents.

Manuela Gruber Hersch, of the Association of Caregiver & Nanny Agencies Canada, said there is a significant caregiver and nanny shortage across the country.

“It is difficult for caregivers to plan their lives without any consistency when to expect their open-work permits,” she said. “It is challenging for families to co-ordinate their childcare needs without any predictability when their caregiver may depart. This makes it extremely difficult and stressful.”

Ana Maria Sanchez applied for her open permit and permanent residency in May 2010. She got her permit in December, but her permanent residence still hasn’t come through.

She came to Canada in 2008 under the caregiver program after spending six years in Hong Kong as a nanny.

“I left my son when he was just 12 months old. He is now already 11,” said Sanchez, a midwife from the Philippines. “I just want to be with my son and my husband.”

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I signed and want to share here. Please sign the petition too:

[size=10pt]http://www.change.org/petitions/live-in-caregivers-appeal-to-end-delays-in-permanent-residence-approvals-to-prime-minister-stephen-harper-and-minister-jason-kenney-of-cic[/size]

FairElisabeth

May 22, 2012
Write to :

city @ thestar.ca AND

dbrazao@thestar.ca (he is the reporter that wrote about all the caregiver abuse a few years ago)

please write to him as well.

LC.Calgary

Apr 23, 2012
FairElisabeth said:
Write to :

city @ thestar.ca AND

dbrazao @ thestar.ca (he is the reporter that wrote about all the caregiver abuse a few years ago)

please write to him as well.
I emailed all 3 email addresses. Please, girls, all write and let's move the process!!!!!!!!!

LC.Calgary

Apr 23, 2012
honeysweetie said:

[size=10pt]http://www.change.org/petitions/live-in-caregivers-appeal-to-end-delays-in-permanent-residence-approvals-to-prime-minister-stephen-harper-and-minister-jason-kenney-of-cic[/size]
i signed and will ask to do the same my friends. Thank you everybody.

ustian

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
honeysweetie said:

I signed it too.

FairElisabeth

May 22, 2012
somebody just put this comment in the petition:

Minister Jason Kenney has used the caregiver community in Canada to advance his political tactics. All promises have been broken, including increased protection for live-in caregivers. The icing on the cake is that Permanent Residency and, more importantly, family reunification has been severely affected by increased processing times going from 14 months to about 40 months in the past two years. Caregivers are the lifeblood of Canadian families as who else is stepping up to care for our children, elderly and special needs people while we go to work to support them? Support caregivers and offer them what has been promised - faster permanent residency and family reunification. We do not want the live-in caregiver program to have the legacy of severely affecting families in favour of our own.

Aman82

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
honeysweetie said:

I did email and signed,,,,,please caregivers sign ,May god bless us

LC.Calgary

Apr 23, 2012
honeysweetie said:

I've signed and sent it to my friends. One of my friends is live-in as well, so asked me - what is it for? i don't have even a complete year as a live-in, the application is far away, what this petition would do for ME?
I've said - one day you'll apply anyway, right? look at this abusive situation, we are all in the same circumstances, don't look at yourself like you are alone and you gonna come over the situation by yourself. and by the time you gonna apply, God bless us, you can get your papers right away... We have to be close, together!
Girls, if you still not sure about signing, nobody will force of course but please take a minute to think.
How long can you stay in your families, even if it's everything nice? How long you gonna be a nanny, not MOM, and taking care of somebody else kids instead of your own? How long you can't take another job?
We are all in the same shoes. We need your voice!!! Please let's move it together and for our future.

kablas99

Star Member
Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC 10, 2010
Doc's Request.
UPDATE : AUG 16, 2011
Nomination.....
OWP : DEC 10, 2011
AOR Received.
AIP : FEB 6, 2013
File Transfer...
LC2 KIT MARCH 4, 2013
Med's Request
LC2 : Nov, 2013
Med's Done....
LC2 : Dec 5 2013
Interview........
LC1 : Feb.12, 2014 Landed Immigrant Status
Passport Req..
LC2 : Jan 7, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LC2 : WAITING
LANDED..........
LC1 : Waiting
LC Calgary..
Well said.. I have been waiting for 18 months now since I passed my application for PR, I am quite near to the end BUT I am fighting for CHANGE, to address this LOng wait and processing time for Live-in Caregiver. We already served 2 years to complete the eligibility for PR, but application processing is much LONGER than completion of requirement, WHAT KIND of SYSTEM that they had!!!!!
TO ALL the live-in caregivers , may you just started working under Live-in caregiver or planning to work to Canada under Live-in Caregiver or already applied for PR and still waiting for long processing time..PLEASE sign this petition, THis is for you people ...we are doing this for the future applicants so you will not anymore realize what we are experiencing right now...WE MISS OUR FAMILY..WE WANT EARLY FAMILY REUNIFICATION
PLEASE CLICK :
http://www.change.org/petitions/live-in-caregivers-appeal-to-end-delays-in-permanent-residence-approvals-to-prime-minister-stephen-harper-and-minister-jason-kenney-of-cic

LC.Calgary

Apr 23, 2012
I support absolutely you, Kablas99!!!
"TO ALL the live-in caregivers , may you just started working under Live-in caregiver or planning to work to Canada under Live-in Caregiver or already applied for PR and still waiting for long processing time..PLEASE sign this petition, THis is for you people ...we are doing this for the future applicants so you will not anymore realize what we are experiencing right now...WE MISS OUR FAMILY..WE WANT EARLY FAMILY REUNIFICATION
PLEASE CLICK :
http://www.change.org/petitions/live-in-caregivers-appeal-to-end-delays-in-permanent-residence-approvals-to-prime-minister-stephen-harper-and-minister-jason-kenney-of-cic"

Date Updated by CIC:
Step 1 – Initial Assessment + 2 Step – Final Decision
July 12, 2010 6-7 months..... + 7 months
September 15, 2010..... 8-9 months..... + 9 months
December 29, 2010..... 11-12 months..... + 12 months
May 11, 2011...... 13-14 months..... + 15 months
January 4, 2012..... 18-19 months..... + 17 months
May 14, 2012..... 22-23 months...... + 17 months

Crazy, abusive... THREE-fold increase in wait times from July 2010 processing times