+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LIVE-IN CAREGIVER eligibility

snowiscool

Jul 3, 2008
Hi

I am a live-in caregiver for my sister who has Down Syndrome. Is there some way I can claim this as work experience under the requirements to apply for a work permit under the LIC program, i.e. one year full-time employment? As she is not officially my "employer" how would this work?

Also would I need to work in the disability field in Canada or would this enable me to work as a carer for children?

thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
To qualify, you should have a 6-month care giving course certificate or at least 12 months of full time paid employment.

snowiscool said:
Hi

I am a live-in caregiver for my sister who has Down Syndrome. Is there some way I can claim this as work experience under the requirements to apply for a work permit under the LIC program, i.e. one year full-time employment? As she is not officially my "employer" how would this work?

Also would I need to work in the disability field in Canada or would this enable me to work as a carer for children?

thanks

binangkal

Jan 1, 2011
Hi!
I'm a registered nurse from the Philippines and i was wondering if i am eligible
to apply for a live in caregiver as I have only 1 yr volunteer work in a hosp..
hope you can help..tnx!

tinyta

Jan 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
binangkal said:
I have only 1 yr volunteer work in a hosp..
hope you can help..
volunteers are not acceptable .. it doesn't count like experience ..you'll need to provide a written contract between you and the family that you have worked for ..
it you haven't worked with a family, then you should better not apply ..
sorry :(

You will need:
* A positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from an employer in Canada
* A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and your employer
* Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education ( total of 12 years )
* At least six months training or at least ONE YEAR of full-time paid work EXPERIENCE AS CAREGIVER or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
* Good knowledge of English or French
* A work permit before you enter Canada

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You have the educational qualification (should be within the last 3 or 5 years, sorry don't have the tie right now to look for the guidelines, but will post again later) so you can try. You need to find an employer who's willing to wait for the processing of your work visa considering it takes about 18 months to process from the Philippines.

binangkal said:
Hi!
I'm a registered nurse from the Philippines and i was wondering if i am eligible
to apply for a live in caregiver as I have only 1 yr volunteer work in a hosp..
hope you can help..tnx!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You must have six months of full-time training in a classroom setting or twelve months of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer in a field or occupation related to the job you are seeking as a live-in caregiver. You may have gained your training or experience in areas such as early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid. You may also have completed your training as part of your formal education. This experience must have been obtained within the three years immediately prior to the day on which you submit an application for a work permit.

Nursing in the Philippines is 4 or 5 years depending upon the curriculum (BSN or RN). Much longer than the 6 months care giving course that is required. If she were to apply based on experience then probably s/he won't qualify but s/he can add that to the documents s/he can submit to show proof s/he did work as a nurse albeit as a volunteer.

$150.00 for a work permit and a 50-50 chance at getting approved. Why dwell on the negative?

tinyta said:
if she's just a volunteer, she can't apply ..

tinyta

Jan 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
volunteering doesn't count like experience.. + it's not payed ..
try to find some family, to work with for 2-3 years ..0R do the "babysitter" courses first,and than try to apply ..

btw; do you have family ( in Canada ) that is willing to sponsor you?

bokster

Jan 22, 2011
i have a sister who is a RN but on volunteer work. i'd like to sponsor her under the Live-in caregiver program. would i able to sponsor her?what are her chances ?

Thank you in advance for the advises.

Cat1987

Jan 23, 2011
I have been in full-time employment with a daycare / nursery for over 24 months. Currently training for a National Vocational Qualfication (NVQ) in Children's care, learning and development: should hopefully be finished by the end of this year at the latest. I plan to apply for a temporary work permit or something equivalent after I qualify - anyone got any simpler ways in?

Will this be enough to be eligible to apply for a live-in caregiver position? I'm hoping to live and work in Winnipeg, Manitoba: and if I am eligible, do I need things like a medical, a work permit, letter from employer etc.? My partner would also be willing to sponsor me should I not find employment, but I don't think he classifies as a spouse (not engaged or anything yet, just in a long-distance relationship).

Also, I have been looking at the International Experience Canada programme (I am a British citizen), and was considering applying for that next January, anyone have any experience with that and how early you should get your application in for that?

I'm just looking to find a way to live and work and be closer to my partner, I miss him and we plan on getting married in a few years. :)

tinyta

Jan 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Well, I don't know the Manitoba rules, but as I know, It's like this:

* You would need 2-3 years working experience or 6 mnth. training ( you said you have 2years exp. as daycare nanny )

* Finish your NVQ and then apply ( cuss you'll have better chances to be approved )

* Yes, you need medical exams

* Yes, you need work permit

* Yes, you need a letter from employer ( and a positive LMO )

* If your partner is in Canada, he can sponsor you as " conjugal partner " ( but it's hard to prove that you are in relationship )

* Sorry, no experience with the International Canadian program ..

BTW; there's another thing that you can do. Try to get VISIT visa, your boyfriend can send you invitation letter, and you can apply for that type of visa. If you apply for 6 mnth. visit visa, you can go In Canada, and If you find a job here, your boss can sponsor you as foreign worker, and you'll probably get working visa for 1-2 years .. that procedure takes up to 6 mnth.

Hope this will help you out :)

tinyta

Jan 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

bokster said:
i have a sister who is a RN but on volunteer work. i'd like to sponsor her under the Live-in caregiver program. would i able to sponsor her?what are her chances ?
If she's less than 18 years old,and you are Permanent resident or Citizen of Canada you can sponsor her as family.
You may sponsor her as caregiver for your family, but the chances of getting approved are very small ..She might be refused, cuss the working offer comes from a relative.

thinkerbelle

Jan 24, 2011
Greetings to everyone!

I have a question, my experienced as a housemaid/nanny here in Dubai was May 2006 to September 2007 since now is 2011 is my experience still possible to apply as a live-in caregiver.

thank you so much...

tinyta

Jan 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

thinkerbelle said:
I have a question, my experienced as a housemaid/nanny here in Dubai was May 2006 to September 2007 since now is 2011 is my experience still possible to apply as a live-in caregiver.
Sorry, but no .. Your experience must be 2-3 years before/and while pplying for Live in Caregiver.