+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in Canada Pr work in US H1 visa

Pinky2000

Jan 4, 2011
Hi ... i have H1 visa and i m currently working in US on same visa.

i have Canadian PR as well.... Can i live in canada and continue working on H1 in US...

if yes.. what and how ill the border crossing everyday?
what hassels will i face ??

Will it affect my citizenship in any case??

Awaiting for the reply soon

Thanks

pk2ca

Star Member
Sep 27, 2010
Pinky2000 said:
Hi ... i have H1 visa and i m currently working in US on same visa.

i have Canadian PR as well.... Can i live in canada and continue working on H1 in US... Yes, if you can manage it. Will be greatly affected by your work requirement. Can you work remotely ? how often you have to go there ? how frequently you want to travel ? travel each day or only on weekends ?

if yes.. what and how ill the border crossing everyday? Again your choice. If your workplace is within driving distance from border, you can take a residence near border and travel by land. If you wanna travel by air then have to plan accordingly.

what hassels will i face ?? If travelling by land then I guess the long queues at custom clearance on each side (depending on the crossing point and time of the day). Later on, you may be able to apply for nexus card to save some time (when become eligible). Similar hassle while traveling by air.
Also be sure to check the taxation obligations for both countries.

Will it affect my citizenship in any case?? it can if you stay outside of Canada for prolonged period of time. you'll have to fulfill your residency obligation (living in Canada for 4 years (1,460 days) out of 6 years and physically present in Canada for 183 days (minimum) per year )

Awaiting for the reply soon

Thanks