+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LIVE AND WORK IN ALBERTA AS A VISITOR

litsapap

Jul 10, 2012
I'M FROM GREECE AND I WANT TO GO TO ALBERTA AS A VISITOR SINCE IT TAKES A LOT TIME TO WAIT FOR A PERMANENT OR WORKING VISA.IF I GO THERE AS A TOURIST CAN I WORK?WILL I BE ABLE TO EXTEND MY STAYING,HOW AND FOR HOW LONG?I ALSO HAVE A NINE YEAR OLD SON AND SOME CLOSE FRIENDS WHO GUARANTEE OUR STAYING THERE.PLEASE I HAVE TO LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME?THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - visitors cannot work.

Yes - you can apply to extend your visit but there's no guarantee you will be approved.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
How would you educate your son? I don't think a visiting child would be eligible for schooling in Canada. Does your child's father give his permission for his son to travel out of the country? Your friends can invite you to visit but cannot sponsor you for immigration purposes. It sounds like you are in a tight spot. I hope everything works out.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please also note if people are charging a fee to visitors to find employment in Canada it is ILLEGAL. Visitors are supposed to visit and at the end of their visit go back to their country of origin. They should not under any circumstances take up employment. If someone is asking you to pay them so that they can get you a job then they'll simply take your money and run off. So please follow the rules and regulations, if you have any questions you can consult an immigration lawyer or get some informal feedback from us. You can come here as a PR or as a foreign worker but must follow the rules and regulations, this will save you a lot of trouble and money in the long term. Good luck

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a Greek citizen, you are visa exempt to visit Canada. As you enter, unless somebody tells you otherwise, you will be allowed to stay for up to 6 months. As a visitor, you may not work or study and you are not covered by health care. This is why you should have travel insurance in case you have an emergency.

As for taking your son with you, as has already been mentioned, if you have shared custody with his father you will need his permission. If you take a child from a shared custody arrangement, the father can contact the police in Greece who will contact the police in Canada and have them send the boy back to Greece.

As a visitor, you have no right to enroll your son in school. I have heard about people being allowed to do it and I have heard about people being refused.

If you want to change your status from visitor to worker, you need to find an employer who wants to hire you. This employer needs to apply for a labour market opinion proving that he has advertised the job and is offering market wage and still can find no Canadian who wants it or is qualified. If he gets the LMO, you can take the LMO, go to the border with $150, skip over to the US and on your entry back to Canada, you apply for your work permit with your LMO and get it instantly. You can only start working after you get the work permit. Getting the LMO can easily take a couple of months.

As a worker, you would be able to get health care. However, in order for your son to be allowed to stay with you and go to school, your work permit would have to be skilled. That is skill level 0, A or B.

If you are still in Canada and your visitor status is expiring (6 months almost up) and no work permit in sight, you either need to leave or you apply to extend it showing that you have the money to stay and that you have travel insurance for you and your son.

litsapap

Jul 10, 2012
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INTEREST.I'VE ALREADY CONTACTED A LAWYER'S OFFICE AND TOLD ME TO FILL IN SOME FORMS IN ORDER TO CHECK MY CASE WITHOUT THE GUARANTEE THAT MY CASE WILL BE APPROVED.AS FOR MY SON I DO NOY PLAN TO COME TO CANADA WITHOUT MY HUSBAND.WE ALL WANT TO COME AND LIVE THERE AS A FAMILY.IF I FIND AN EMPLOYER BEFORE GOING TO CANADA DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO INVITE ME THERE AND ALL THE NECESSARY PROCESSES?AND WILL I BE ABLE TO TAKE MY FAMILY THERE LEGALLY?THANK YOU ALL AGAIN IN ADVANCE.