+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Linking open work permit and Home Support Worker job to PR

Sitasma

Jan 1, 2021
Hi. I have a spousal open work permit (my husband being an international student) that expires on Dec 2021, which I will extend for sure. I have a masters degree. I came to Canada few months before I and took CPR, First Aid trainings and started a job of caregiver for a client in Montreal. But a Home care agency has offered me to work in Ontario by sending employment letter (offer letter). I have to clarify that my husband’s study time will take quite a long time to complete so I have chosen the job a caregiver for future permanent residency from my side. I have few questions: 1) Are open work permit holders (as they are LMIA exempted) eligible to apply for PR after gaining two years of experience in the same open work permit status? (2) In that case, will my work experience count to apply for PR? Or should I have to apply for employment specific work permit for caregiver to change my current open work permit? (3) Is it possible to change open work permit to employment specific work permit? I have read the IRCC website but so far could not find clues for any of these questions. Your tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.