+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LIMA - company states they do not need to pay medium wage

Maple-leaf

Feb 22, 2015
Hello guys,

I know this topic was mentioned a lot here and I read a lot but I can't figure out something what my employer told me so far.
Current situation:
Quebec

Working since 3 years for the same comapany, in 2013 they changed by law our NOC and wage to NOC 2283 (B-Level/13,-h).
Now my contract ends mid June so I asked if I will be renewed.
It took them a while and first it was "NO" it is too expensive the 1000,- for LIMA etc. and we would need to pay you 16,50/h minimum we can't afford this we we will try to get work&holiday workers.
Now after 2 appointments with HR they changed their mind and are willing to apply for LIMA.

Somewhere in between they hired already someone and this guy get's 16,50/h.
For explanation: they need our language skills, I am responsible for German, the newbie is from Finnland.
To find a Canadian with enough language skills to fullfill the job is actually impossible, so they need people from abroad. But we also have Canadians here for French. (well this is not that difficult obviously to find)

Now the big question:
HR told me the hourly wage is no problem anymore, they do not need to pay me the 16,50/h. But didn't explain how exactly they want to manage this. I guess I will know in my next meeting maybe.
I don't see any possibility to manuver around this median wage....???

The other question and I agree with my Canadian collegues. This is not fair. I mean I am sinec 3 years there, experienced in my job, others even longer.
And the newbie gets 3,- more???
My Canadian collegues get laid off on a regular base in low season, while me and the other TFWs can't get laid off apparently. This is not fair, too.

My company states that they need to apply for my LIMA before end of April as then the new law will be valid afterwards????????
It is already valid, what are they talking about?

The only way to avoid the 16,50/h I could imagine would be, if they would find a NOC where 13,- is the median wage. They would need to find something that fits somehow our job description and voila.
Sounds ridiculus for me and not realy legal. But what else could they do???
And my collegues who want to apply for PR would be screwed then.

I applied for PR under CEC and want to leave Quebec at one point, right now I can not pass the French test yet I am working on that as much as I can but as I knew so many new stuff will come up this year I applied under CEC. I got AOR and I also applied for BOWP (15. March) but I am afraid I might not get it (this is just my personal panic whenever I have something to do with the government).
Me personally I would prefer the BOPW, even I would not get the 16,50/h and they can lay me off whenever they want but I can also go if I find something better. BUT sure 16,50/h would be great.

As you can see I am confused.
I try to be as much informed as possible. In my last meeting with HR they offered me first to take a part of my current contract (I still have my flight back home in it) to pay the LIMA.
I refused and told them no way, the costs for LIMA are not reimbursable, you can not take something you already owe me and pay the LIMA for it.

So, as I aleady applied for BOWP (without knowing if I get it) and my company said they would need to apply for LIMA next week, which WP would be valid?
The first I get?

Imlied status just works when LIMA is there and I apply for closed WP, so it might even happen that I will be without status for a while??
Or would the BOWP be valid and then the other would replace it?

Questions and just more questions.
If anyone has a slight idea about it I appreciate any answer, any link.
If I can call somewhere at the government directly to ask about this give me a hint where to call.
I will take a day off and call the whole day if necessary to get some answers.

Thanx guys