08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
Hi all,

I've been reading about the dreaded RQ and I'm freaking myself out, maybe unnecessarily. A few questions for you:

1. I landed in Canada in January 2017 and was unemployed for a month. I have been employed continuously since February 2017. Would this month of unemployment in 2017 be reason enough for an RQ?
2. In the 3 years that I've been a permanent resident, I took a few vacation trips to the US and Mexico. In total, I was absent for 36 days in 3 years. This is why I had to wait until March to apply. All my trips are recorded in my physical presence calculator. Is 36 days too long, something that would cause an RQ?
3. I have a 10-day trip planned to Europe in May and I read somewhere that if you leave the country while your application is being processed, that would also make you eligible for an RQ. Is this true? Should I cancel my trip?

Am I overthinking this or what do you guys think? Any responses will be appreciated!

KKE

Star Member
May 29, 2014
You are definitely overthinking it.

1) I was unemployed for about 6 months after I landed.

2) I had about the same number of days outside the country as you(Europe and Africa).

3) I had a planned trip but my application was completed before my trip.

All this to say, from what you have listed, you don’t seem like a candidate for RQ.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Hi all,

I've been reading about the dreaded RQ and I'm freaking myself out, maybe unnecessarily. A few questions for you:

1. I landed in Canada in January 2017 and was unemployed for a month. I have been employed continuously since February 2017. Would this month of unemployment in 2017 be reason enough for an RQ?
2. In the 3 years that I've been a permanent resident, I took a few vacation trips to the US and Mexico. In total, I was absent for 36 days in 3 years. This is why I had to wait until March to apply. All my trips are recorded in my physical presence calculator. Is 36 days too long, something that would cause an RQ?
3. I have a 10-day trip planned to Europe in May and I read somewhere that if you leave the country while your application is being processed, that would also make you eligible for an RQ. Is this true? Should I cancel my trip?

Am I overthinking this or what do you guys think? Any responses will be appreciated!
You are freaking yourself out on each point 100%

Reactions: Anford

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
That makes me feel better. An RQ just sounds awful, making the process last years!

Thank you, both!

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Definitely no reason to worry. I know people who were never employed nor in school and didn't get RQ.

Reactions: VictorCA

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi all,

Just to add my thoughts specifically to points 2 and 3 I took my trips since I became a PR to US, Mexico and others. I was absent quite a bit more than 36 days without any issue. Also took a trip while in process (actually a few). If the trip is for any length of time - I believe IRCC states two weeks - letting them know is a good idea.

For me, if I'd gotten test while say in the US I'd have flown back regardless of cost (as in, flying US->Canada at short notice is not extortionate). Flying back from the UK over Christmas earlier than planned would have been too expensive, plus can be hard to get a seat. So I let IRCC know 6 weeks in advance and they scheduled my test before this trip, then Oath afterwards.

If you are travelling in May from a March application I doubt you'll even get AoR before you go so wouldn't bother (I actually took a > 2 week trip about a week after I applied). Even if you get very lucky the most you'd get would be an FP request and that gives you 30 days to reply. Once you go in Process, let IRCC know 4-6 weeks before travel. It takes 1-2 weeks to get a reply and they almost always schedule Test/Interview/Oath within 4 weeks (normally 2-4 but I've seen and personally had less).

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Just to add my thoughts specifically to points 2 and 3 I took my trips since I became a PR to US, Mexico and others. I was absent quite a bit more than 36 days without any issue. Also took a trip while in process (actually a few). If the trip is for any length of time - I believe IRCC states two weeks - letting them know is a good idea.

For me, if I'd gotten test while say in the US I'd have flown back regardless of cost (as in, flying US->Canada at short notice is not extortionate). Flying back from the UK over Christmas earlier than planned would have been too expensive, plus can be hard to get a seat. So I let IRCC know 6 weeks in advance and they scheduled my test before this trip, then Oath afterwards.

If you are travelling in May from a March application I doubt you'll even get AoR before you go so wouldn't bother (I actually took a > 2 week trip about a week after I applied). Even if you get very lucky the most you'd get would be an FP request and that gives you 30 days to reply. Once you go in Process, let IRCC know 4-6 weeks before travel. It takes 1-2 weeks to get a reply and they almost always schedule Test/Interview/Oath within 4 weeks (normally 2-4 but I've seen and personally had less).
Thanks a lot for this! Yes, my trip is just for a week in May, so I likely don't have anything to worry about. My application will be sent out today and delivered tomorrow, so I will just trust that everything will go well.

Thanks again!