+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Life After Citizenship?

vipinait

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
So since I became a Canadian, I have done the following
  1. I got my passport (it took 8 days ) I applied in person as Service Canada and they made it very quickly
  2. used the Canoo app and took advance of the deals and free stuff
    1. Casa Loma
    2. Scarborough arts
    3. royal ontario museum
    4. little Canada
    5. Art Gallery of Ontario
    6. Went to Vancouver to see some friends - 20% Air Canada
    7. Montreal this coming long weekend - same 50% of via rail
  3. I got into the Newcomer Skills Accelerator Program offered by an institution for Canadian citizenship (ICC) as a volunteer
  4. Travelling to Europe in September, Mexico in Dec, and Dominica in Feb ( this is my 1st time travelling since moving here 7yrs ago)
Admin Stuff -
  1. Updated my work HR Tool
  2. Updated Bank app and my investment stuff - Wealsthmple
  3. Registered to vote -the same day I became Canadian - provincially and federally
  4. Applied for Super visa for parents - pending.
Let's Just say, the Canadian dream is great, but I still have to pay taxes LOL so not much has changed, I just do not need to apply for a VISA for every country haha, and I get to call this great nation home.
Thank you for the detailed list. I couldn't find out if there are any discounts on flights and VIA Rail for new citizens. Could you please share the details on how to obtain these discounts?

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Is there a list somewhere of services that need to be notified about the new citizenship?
I take it this may be important for banks and brokerages?
Should I tell the credit card companies?
How about some municipal services/governments if you own property?
Province's tax authority?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Is there a list somewhere of services that need to be notified about the new citizenship?
Should I tell the credit card companies?
Province's tax authority?
None of the above needs to be notified.

• Wow
Reactions: bas12 and Kayne

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
-It may be useful to update banks and brokerages etc just for purposes of ID so I'd do when you get passport.
-Municipal/provincial: just for voting purposes really.

Reactions: bas12

dejected

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Joining the club.

It is unbelievable to have our oath completed. A sense of relief, and inability to acclimatize to the new reality that there are to time constraints, physical presence requirements and that now we have the ability to travel at will.

It is the sense of vastness and that of endless joy that can’t be described in words.

eiden03

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Joining the club.

It is unbelievable to have our oath completed. A sense of relief, and inability to acclimatize to the new reality that there are to time constraints, physical presence requirements and that now we have the ability to travel at will.

It is the sense of vastness and that of endless joy that can’t be described in words.
You have a way with words. This encapsulates 100% the feelings I think I'll have once my application is finally done.

dejected

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
You have a way with words. This encapsulates 100% the feelings I think I'll have once my application is finally done.
You’ll too join the club soon, hang in there and try your best to attend the citizenship ceremony on the first go.

AnonyKaty

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
I joined the club on October 20th. I got my certificate on the 23rd. I haven't yet applied for my passport. (I also still haven't received a letter from my MP. Or confirmations of being registered by elections Canada).

Life since citizenship has been great. I came here at 19 and I went through a long journey to figure out permanent residency and citizenship. The fact that I'm a citizen of this country is still sinking in

• Love
Reactions: becca545

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
I joined the club on October 20th. I got my certificate on the 23rd. I haven't yet applied for my passport. (I also still haven't received a letter from my MP. Or confirmations of being registered by elections Canada).

Life since citizenship has been great. I came here at 19 and I went through a long journey to figure out permanent residency and citizenship. The fact that I'm a citizen of this country is still sinking in

Congratulations, You should register yourself for the election I did it the same day I became a citizen online. It is faster doing yourself tbh same with provincial registration
My MP letter came like 2 months later.

• Love
Reactions: AnonyKaty

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
Congratulations, You should register your self for the election I did it the same day I became a citizen online.
My MP letter came like 2 months later.
For me it doesn't even search my address. Says I am not on the list yet