+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Life After Citizenship?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I had to wait for a new certificate, after my in-person oath ceremony, as there was a typo on my name. In-person oath was on a Friday, had the new certificate Tuesday, and by Wednesday, I was at the passport office. I paid for Express and was told a specific date for pickup. I went in a full two days early and got my passport.

It has now taken the place of where my old, and since expired, EU passport used to be stored. Ready to be used for future trips. Probably going to do a road trip to Buffalo just to cross a border without having to cringe. I never felt right in the old place and used to cringe every time I had to hand over my passport.

I know that the upcoming hockey season will probably be filled with trips to Buffalo as tickets are cheaper there than here. Us leafs fans suffer every year, for many reasons. Not just financially.

Will I keep my EU citizenship? Not sure. Not with the current political climate over there. Do I need it? I ain't ever moving back but it's a good backup if work temporarily dries up, like now. I work in the film industry and the US Writers and Actor's strike is effecting us in Canada. Only domestic productions with domestic actors and writers can work. Not enough of that going around to keep as all going.

I'm looking forward to signing a deal memo and put "Canadian" on the citizenship line. Hopefully we'll be back to work soon.

Right now I'm pinching myself every-now-and-then then whispering "I'm Canadian".

I came here the first time 40 years ago, this year. I left after 4 months and that's the biggest mistake of my life. It has since been corrected. Holding that Canadian passport for the first time was extremely emotional.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Maybe you are right, for countries that allow dual citizenship it doesn't make sense to do such a check.
To be clear, I don't have religion on the topic, just curious.

But I do want to warn that many countries have policies including legal consequences for citizens who do not enter on their national passports (or otherwise pretend to be non-citizens when they are citizens). Granted in many cases these are not a big deal but they can be ...

And periodic reminder: when you're in a country in which you have citizenship, Canada has no consular rights and may not be able to help you if you have legal issues with authorities.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Maybe you are right, for countries that allow dual citizenship it doesn't make sense to do such a check.
Actually the part that surprised me the most was that the home country would even issue a visa to a citizen in a different country's passport. Canada absolutely will not do this (there is a rare exception made for true emergencies).

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Actually the part that surprised me the most was that the home country would even issue a visa to a citizen in a different country's passport. Canada absolutely will not do this (there is a rare exception made for true emergencies).
Yes, something about the way it works in that country doesn't sound right. Dual citizenship allowed, but need to show the same passport when exiting. Issuing visa to own citizens. Strange!

Reactions: armoured

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
To do
Update CRA.
Update work place maybe?
Apply new passport.
Register to vote.

Anything else?

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
So since I became a Canadian, I have done the following
  1. I got my passport (it took 8 days ) I applied in person as Service Canada and they made it very quickly
  2. used the Canoo app and took advance of the deals and free stuff
    1. Casa Loma
    2. Scarborough arts
    3. royal ontario museum
    4. little Canada
    5. Art Gallery of Ontario
    6. Went to Vancouver to see some friends - 20% Air Canada
    7. Montreal this coming long weekend - same 50% of via rail
  3. I got into the Newcomer Skills Accelerator Program offered by an institution for Canadian citizenship (ICC) as a volunteer
  4. Travelling to Europe in September, Mexico in Dec, and Dominica in Feb ( this is my 1st time travelling since moving here 7yrs ago)
Admin Stuff -
  1. Updated my work HR Tool
  2. Updated Bank app and my investment stuff - Wealsthmple
  3. Registered to vote -the same day I became Canadian - provincially and federally
  4. Applied for Super visa for parents - pending.
Let's Just say, the Canadian dream is great, but I still have to pay taxes LOL so not much has changed, I just do not need to apply for a VISA for every country haha, and I get to call this great nation home.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Register to vote.
I'm a little surprised - there weren't any forms to register to vote or anything like that at/after the ceremony?

That's a real missed opportunity for government (although to be fair there are lots of places/things where they register you).

For anyone who has got citizenship and forgets to register/ doesn't have a chance before an election: go to the polling both on day of the election with identification (passport ideal, others okay) and something with an address (utility bill, driver's license, etc). They can and will register you on the spot.

Source: I've worked as a poll worker several times, and they go out of their way at the polls to help people vote. Obviously try to register before the election, of course.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I'm a little surprised - there weren't any forms to register to vote or anything like that at/after the ceremony?

That's a real missed opportunity for government (although to be fair there are lots of places/things where they register you).
In my application there were boxes to tick if I wanted to be registered to the voting rolls. I ticked yes.

Reactions: IPULL

nonameizz

Oct 18, 2020
Will I keep my EU citizenship? Not sure. Not with the current political climate over there. Do I need it? I ain't ever moving back but it's a good backup if work temporarily dries up, like now. I work in the film industry and the US Writers and Actor's strike is effecting us in Canada. Only domestic productions with domestic actors and writers can work. Not enough of that going around to keep as all going.
I feel the same way. I am an EU citizen as well and I can't ever see myself moving back. I am considering renouncing my EU citizenship because I feel Canadian. Canada has been home for a while now.

Reactions: yyzstudent

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
One of the first perks of my newfound citizenship was the seamless travel experience. During my trip to Italy, I felt proud and grateful to be able to use the expedited lines for passport holders from select countries like the UK, US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the EU. However, this privilege also made me reflect on the inequalities faced by travelers from other nations, who were directed to different lines based solely on their nationalities. It was a reminder of the global divide that exists and left me pondering the need for more equitable treatment.
I would not worry too much about this, I noticed that every time a planefull of Canadian lands, the non-expedited line is faster. That has been one upside of having a less nice passport.

glorybetogod

Nov 17, 2020
From first arriving as temporary residents to becoming PRs and now citizens has been an exhilarating and humbling experience.

To celebrate the grant of citizenship, my partner and I went for dinner in a neighbourhood that holds many memories from this journey.

Indeed, there were times when things seemed painfully slow and uncertain. Yet, this forum has been quite helpful and encouraging. Grateful to all who shared their useful insights.

To God be all the glory ♡

Last edited:

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
So since I became a Canadian, I have done the following
  1. I got my passport (it took 8 days ) I applied in person as Service Canada and they made it very quickly
  2. used the Canoo app and took advance of the deals and free stuff
    1. Casa Loma
    2. Scarborough arts
    3. royal ontario museum
    4. little Canada
    5. Art Gallery of Ontario
    6. Went to Vancouver to see some friends - 20% Air Canada
    7. Montreal this coming long weekend - same 50% of via rail
  3. I got into the Newcomer Skills Accelerator Program offered by an institution for Canadian citizenship (ICC) as a volunteer
  4. Travelling to Europe in September, Mexico in Dec, and Dominica in Feb ( this is my 1st time travelling since moving here 7yrs ago)
Admin Stuff -
  1. Updated my work HR Tool
  2. Updated Bank app and my investment stuff - Wealsthmple
  3. Registered to vote -the same day I became Canadian - provincially and federally
  4. Applied for Super visa for parents - pending.
Let's Just say, the Canadian dream is great, but I still have to pay taxes LOL so not much has changed, I just do not need to apply for a VISA for every country haha, and I get to call this great nation home.
Are you able to use canoo app again with citizenship even if you used it earlier as PR?